Video Stabilization Analysis in background

• Author

studio1492

Video Stabilization Analysis in background

PostMon Nov 11, 2019 1:36 pm

I would love that the video stabilization analysis runs in background.

Currently, on v16.1 the analysis window freezes the GUI untile the analysis has finished, and when a timeline has more than 100 clips that need to stabilize, the process is time consuming, as one has to start and wait for every single clip, then start a new analysis for the next individual clip, wait again, and doing this for 100 -200 clips on timeline is too much wasted time.

My request is:

1. To batch the stabilize analysis as a backgroud process that allows to continue working.
2. Multiple clips stabilization analysis: Allow the stabilize tab to appear on the inspector when multiple clips are selected, and start the analysis of multiple clips at once as a batch process. (currently the stabilize tab dissapears of the Inspector when multiple clips are selected)
3. In case that none of those options are possible at short term, it will help an optional sound notification when the anaylsis has finished, and/or also a remaining analysis time counter
- MBP 14" M1 Pro 16GB, 1TB, 10 core CPU, 16 core GPU.
- Resolve Studio 18.6.4 @ macOS 13.6.2
- Mini Panel v2.0
- Speed Editor (gathering dust until killer custom keys arrive)
- Synology DS218

kinvermark

Re: Video Stabilization Analysis in background

PostMon Nov 11, 2019 6:46 pm

+1 Batch stabilize.

Personally don't care if it is in background or not - like making proxies or optimized media, I prefer that those operations get 100% done before I start working on them - gives me an excuse to go grab a coffee :)
Windows 10 laptop. Intel i7-10750H, 32GB RAM, Nvidia 4070 ti Super eGPU, SSD disks. Resolve Studio (latest)

Lee Niederkofler

PostMon Nov 11, 2019 9:22 pm

+1 but only if the stabilization gets better. Unfortunately right now it‘s not very usable for most shots..

Jim Simon

PostTue Nov 12, 2019 6:12 pm

studio1492 wrote:when a timeline has more than 100 clips that need to stabilize...

...then the filmmaker desperately needs a tripod, gimbal, or a LOT more practice shooting handheld.

(Sorry. Couldn't resist. ;) )
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

studio1492

PostTue Nov 12, 2019 10:04 pm

Jim Simon wrote:
studio1492 wrote:when a timeline has more than 100 clips that need to stabilize...

...then the filmmaker desperately needs a tripod, gimbal, or a LOT more practice shooting handheld.

(Sorry. Couldn't resist. ;) )

The documentary I'm editing was shoot by two brave men in a risky location where is not advisable to carry or unfold tripods or monopods, very limited weight, and no playtime to go calibrating gimbals before real world action.

The combination of their hand-held camera skills together with DVR Stabilizer gives an excellent result, and with some X-Y keyframing, the result looks as amazing as it was shoot on a gimbal.

Thanks Mr. Jim Simon, for the time you've take writting your advice, which sadly doesn't solves the initial request I asked to BMD.
- Mini Panel v2.0
- Synology DS218

studio1492

PostWed Nov 13, 2019 12:17 pm

I'll like to add something to the video analysis request:

it would be great that the stabilization analysis progression bar appears in the clip itself (in the timeline both in color page and edit page) showing the already stabiliced part, something similar to the cached lines behaviour, so we can start to work at the fly on the already stabilized part.

Also, on a way, the "stabilize" button can be override as an option, so once we turn on the "stablilization" tab, the analysis starts alone, and when we modify a parameter, the analyssis starts on background, showing the progrewssion on the timeline corresponding clip

Also... It would be great that we can copy and paste the stabilization attributes betwen clips. Currently it has to be set manually for each clip, and sometimes all the clips need a similar stabilization paramters, that differ from the default settings (usually I find the default parameters to be very strong, but are fine for other projects).

( I hope its clear my English, I'm not native English)
- Mini Panel v2.0
- Synology DS218

Marc Wielage

PostThu Nov 14, 2019 5:03 am

studio1492 wrote:Currently, on v16.1 the analysis window freezes the GUI untile the analysis has finished, and when a timeline has more than 100 clips that need to stabilize, the process is time consuming, as one has to start and wait for every single clip, then start a new analysis for the next individual clip, wait again, and doing this for 100 -200 clips on timeline is too much wasted time.

The flaw with this idea is there are currently about seven or eight different ways to stabilize (depending on how you count them), and no one way is going to work precisely every time. Sometimes it takes experimentation, trial & error to come up with a method that works. Sometimes you have to break apart a long shot into shorter shots and use different techniques with each. Sometimes you need to use the Point Tracker and the old-style stabilization; sometimes one of the new stabilization methods works, but not all three (Perspective, Similarity, & Translation). Sometimes you have to use the Interactive Mode to avoid tracking details you don't want. There is no "pick one mode and use it on everything" mode; all of this is covered in detail in the manual.

My suggestion would be to hire an assistant editor or a VFX artist to tackle this on a second system and let them spend a day stabilizing while you move on and continue color correcting. When you're done, you can use ColorTrace to update the file and just copy over PTZR/stabilization changes only, and you should be good to go. Either that, or just understand going in that you can't get 100 shots done just by pushing one button. Sometimes, it might take 3 or 4 tries to stabilize it correctly, and that requires thought, effort, and creative choices. And sometimes it just does not work, period, and you have to let it go... or use purely manual methods to solve the problem.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

studio1492

PostThu Nov 14, 2019 11:14 am

Marc Wielage wrote:My suggestion would be to hire an assistant editor or a VFX artist to tackle this on a second system and let them spend a day stabilizing while you move on and continue color correcting.

You are right, however the assistant editor will find himself "wasting" time with the stabilization analysis progress dialog blocking the full GUI. It doesn't solves the problem, it just derivate it to someone, and we have to pay for the analysis waiting time hours he/she will spend.

Marc Wielage wrote: and just copy over PTZR/stabilization changes only,

Time consuming again when the copy paste process is applied to a hundred of clips.

Marc Wielage wrote:Either that, or just understand going in that you can't get 100 shots done just by pushing one button. Sometimes, it might take 3 or 4 tries to stabilize it correctly,

However, it can be great to apply a low level standard stabilization setting for all 100 clips on a batch as starting point. During reviewing this soft standard stabilization, one can focus on fine tuning the 10-20 clips that need a special customized stabilization, and let the rest of 80-90 clips with a soft natural stabilization, fine tuning the requiered parts. Thiss will apply perfectly for my work and will save a lot of time.
- Mini Panel v2.0
- Synology DS218

Philipp Glaninger

PostThu Nov 14, 2019 4:56 pm

+1 for some kind of Batch workflow

I work on multicam theatre performances. Last year I think I ended up stabilizing 1500 Shots :? Since all of those shots are based on tripods the "Translation" stabilize method works way better than "Perspective". And I keep the other settings on default 90% of the time.

Nick Lear

PostTue Dec 03, 2019 6:36 am

+1

I am doing an edit where most shots need stabilization and where it works almost every time without playing with the settings. So if I could copy and paste attributes for stabilization (which I can) and then right click> stabilize (i.e. run the calculations) over lunch, it would be fantastic. I would then change a few of them that didn't work.

I wouldn't necessarily expect it to be in the background, just that it would be done by the time I come back.

I can understand that this isn't needed at the high end of production, but at the lower corporate end this would be v useful.
Win Pro 10, Threadripper 3960x, 128GB RAM, RTX 4080 16GB VRAM, Resolve Studio 18.5 b41

Hendrik Proosa

PostTue Dec 03, 2019 7:44 am

Nick Lear wrote:I can understand that this isn't needed at the high end of production, but at the lower corporate end this would be v useful.

It should be the exact opposite, high end usually needs stuff to be batched, queued, farmed and whatnot and don't expect software to be smarter than them to protect users from themselves. Oh-no your computer might become slow! Oh-no it might not always work nicely and so on.. dammit, I want to decide myself what works for me and when.

It would be plenty stupid to not allow render queue on delivery panel because oh-no, a render might fail and must check it because oh-no it might go to client with errors in it otherwise. Same applies to batch stabilize, arguing that it must be checked and thus can't be done is just daft. One can pretty well check it afterwards and treat clips that need it separately without oh-no software outsmarting you.
I do stuff

studio1492

PostWed Dec 04, 2019 10:08 pm

Hendrik Proosa wrote:
Nick Lear wrote:I can understand that this isn't needed at the high end of production, but at the lower corporate end this would be v useful.

Oh-no your computer might become slow! Oh-no it might not always work nicely and so on.. dammit, I want to decide myself what works for me and when. It would be plenty stupid to not allow render queue on delivery panel because oh-no....

Some people look always on the past, as some others plan what future will bring. There are features that are so obvious.

Soon or late the request above will be real. There is no other way as I see the evolution of NLEs.

One can easily see that in 10 years (2030) any professional NLE (including DVR) will stabilize in real time to be in match with the power of future GPUs to come. Will be still need a "stabilize" button to process each clip individually?. Nowadays the "Smart render" feature is a reality and it works great: nowadays we don't need to press on "start render" button to render each individual clip on the timeline. Same with stabilization parameters processing is what we are asking here.
- Mini Panel v2.0
- Synology DS218

studio1492

PostSat Dec 07, 2019 3:33 am

Adobe Premiere Pro is able to Stabilize in Background since years.

Captura de pantalla 2019-12-07 a las 4.25.11 copia.jpg
Captura de pantalla 2019-12-07 a las 4.25.11 copia.jpg (233.15 KiB) Viewed 6107 times
- Mini Panel v2.0
- Synology DS218

Mel Matsuoka

PostTue Dec 10, 2019 5:21 pm

studio1492 wrote:Adobe Premiere Pro is able to Stabilize in Background since years.

Captura de pantalla 2019-12-07 a las 4.25.11 copia.jpg

If Resolve was to adopt background stabilization, I would hope to god that they don’t put an onscreen “Stabilizing in Background” banner on the footage like Premiere does. I’ve seen a surprising number of spots or shows on the air that had the stabilization “warning banner” baked into the footage, because of you even change the edit of a single frame of a Warp Stabilzed clip, it invalidates the stabilization and throws up the warning banner, which Premiere inexplicably renders as part of the image on export. It’s one of Premiere’s dumbest “features”, and even though they eventually added a “Hide Warning Banner” option, it’s not on by default, which it should be.

Sorry, that was a bit of a semi-off topic rant, but I’ve grown to hate Adobe’s Warp Stabilizer over the years for many reasons, this being one of them. I would hate for Resolve to do the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Resolve Studio 18.0.2 / Decklink Mini Monitor / 14" 2021 Macbook Pro Max (macOS 12.5.1, M1 Max) / 32GB RAM

studio1492

PostSat Mar 21, 2020 5:31 pm

+1
- Mini Panel v2.0
- Synology DS218

kinvermark

PostSun Mar 22, 2020 2:42 am

+2. I have had the same problem in the past with the Prodad Mercalli plug-ins (not in Resolve). You essentially have to render & replace to ensure you don't wreck your final output by accident.
Windows 10 laptop. Intel i7-10750H, 32GB RAM, Nvidia 4070 ti Super eGPU, SSD disks. Resolve Studio (latest)

dcolacino

PostSun Mar 22, 2020 10:12 pm

Please add me to the list of Resolve users who need to be a able to select a bunch of clips and run stabilization on them with one click. I don't care if I have to go back and tweak some of the adjustments on some of them, its just very inefficient to have to run stabilize one-by-one on what could be dozens or hundreds of handheld clips.

Thanks.
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 (build 7); iMac 27 inch, Retina 5K; 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 processor; 64 GB 2400 MHz DDR4; Internal 2TB SSD; Radeon Pro 580 8 GB graphics running Ventura 13.6.4.

Simon Rabeder

PostTue Mar 24, 2020 5:15 pm

+1

dsol1980

PostWed Jun 03, 2020 9:27 pm

Why are people fighting about whether or not batch stabilization is useful? my goodness, as if every video producer is the same....
I've used Resolve for a little over a year, and there is a certain type of shot that 99% of the time I use the translation with .70 smoothing and that is the same settings that I use, all the time, for that one type of shot.

+1 batch stabilization

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostSun Jun 07, 2020 5:04 am

I do agree that some function should be more “background friendly” like export or stabilization.

+1
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

jartemo

PostSun Dec 20, 2020 1:02 pm

Please give us batch stabilization. I believe it should not be difficult to implement. Is it some kind of religious doctrine that it is forbidden or something? What are we afraid of if that is implemented? That would save so much time as you would not need to to sit in front of your computer and click one button every one minute or so. That waiting time could be used better while number of clips are stabilized with one click.

Tersites75

PostTue Dec 22, 2020 3:45 pm

Also, a much-needed feature: Auto-update stabilization when extending clip borders! As it is now, extending the borders of a stabilized clip will result in "jumps" when exceeding the stabilized section. You need to re-stabilize the whole clip again to fix this. And often, the "stabilize" button is greyed out, so you need to change one of the settings to make the button "clickable" again. Way complicated!
Stabilization should auto-update whenever the clip gets extended to a previously un-stabilized section.
Specs:
Win 10 Pro x64
Resolve Studio 18.0.4 Build 5
ADM Ryzen 9 3900X
64 GB RAM
RTX 3090 / studio driver V.522.30

Mel Matsuoka

PostTue Dec 22, 2020 6:17 pm

Tersites75 wrote:Also, a much-needed feature: Auto-update stabilization when extending clip borders! As it is now, extending the borders of a stabilized clip will result in "jumps" when exceeding the stabilized section. You need to re-stabilize the whole clip again to fix this. And often, the "stabilize" button is greyed out, so you need to change one of the settings to make the button "clickable" again. Way complicated!
Stabilization should auto-update whenever the clip gets extended to a previously un-stabilized section.

I have posted, in another thread, my request for things like this to be “processed through handles”, so that for example when you click “Stabilize” on a clip the first time, it stabilizes past the extents of the current edit event, using the amount of handles that you’ve configured in your user preferences.

This would be useful in many situations where you need to deliver handles with renders.

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=99481
Resolve Studio 18.0.2 / Decklink Mini Monitor / 14" 2021 Macbook Pro Max (macOS 12.5.1, M1 Max) / 32GB RAM

silvermandj

PostFri Feb 05, 2021 10:34 pm

+1 to this.

I don't usually stabilize clips but I've used it on a bunch of shots in a feature I'm currently working on. Just discovered that the stabilizing effect doesn't extend to the handles. Is this still a problem or has it been fixed yet on any of the latest versions? I'm still on an older version until I finish this project in a couple of weeks.
Asus ROG Strix X570-E
AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 3.5GHz Sixteen Core 105W
PNY GeForce RTX 2080 TI 11GB V2 Blower Fan
2x Samsung DDR4-2666 32GB
Blackmagic Design DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Resolve Studio 18.5.1 Build 6

yargord

PostWed Jun 09, 2021 11:18 am

+1000000!!! don't wanna wasting time waiting till that window disappear!
Windows 11 Home 22H2
i78750H
1060 Max-Q 6GB
16GB RAM

frayoshi

PostFri Jul 28, 2023 2:05 pm

+1 bump

Norbert339

PostSat Jul 29, 2023 9:24 am

+1