real proxy / replace clips to remember the in/out

• Author

smarlie

real proxy / replace clips to remember the in/out

PostSat Jan 11, 2020 1:26 am

I know there are proxy/resolution settings but want to request the ability to use real proxy fils, because sometimes I only get access to the original resolution files a lot later (for the final render), it's very essential to be able to edit with the actual low-res proxy files first. I tried to replace original clips with small proxies in timeline but DaVinci Resolve doesn't remember the editing in/out point, even they are exactly the same length ,where Premiere has no problem. The purpose of proxy is not only for smoother editing for hi-res files, but also for switching between online/offline editing. I'd hope to be able to do the editing and color both in DaVinci Resolve. Thank you.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: real proxy / replace clips to remember the in/out

PostMon Jan 13, 2020 3:20 am

Resolve already does this so there is likely an operational issue. Please review the chapters in the manual referring to this operation.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Mel Matsuoka

PostMon Jan 13, 2020 6:36 pm

I work with externally generated proxies in Resolve all the time, and do not have the issues you're mentioning.

How exactly are you "replacing" the timeline clips with the proxy files? And do the timecodes of your proxies match the timecodes on the originals?
Resolve Studio 18.0.2 / Decklink Mini Monitor / 14" 2021 Macbook Pro Max (macOS 12.5.1, M1 Max) / 32GB RAM

twainrichardson

PostThu Jan 23, 2020 6:06 pm

smarlie wrote:I know there are proxy/resolution settings but want to request the ability to use real proxy fils, because sometimes I only get access to the original resolution files a lot later (for the final render), it's very essential to be able to edit with the actual low-res proxy files first. I tried to replace original clips with small proxies in timeline but DaVinci Resolve doesn't remember the editing in/out point, even they are exactly the same length ,where Premiere has no problem. The purpose of proxy is not only for smoother editing for hi-res files, but also for switching between online/offline editing. I'd hope to be able to do the editing and color both in DaVinci Resolve. Thank you.

Resolve does have this.

A workflow that I use is to edit with the Proxy files, when I'm ready to relink to the HiRes files, this is what I do.

1. I select all the clips in my timeline
2. right click on a clip and select Conform Lock Enabled (this allows you to connect the clip to HiRes)
3. Go to File->Reconform From Bins (this option is for if you brought the HiRes media into Resolve if not then choose Reconform From Media Storage)
4. A pop will open, under Attempt To Reconform choose Selected Clipsand for Choose Conform Bins select the bin with the HiRes media
5. Select Ok, Resolve will connect to the HiRes clips
2023 16' MBPro/M3 Max/48GB/macOS Sonoma
Output: UltraStudio 4K Mini, Desktop Video 12.4.2

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests