Keyboard Shortcut Improvements

• Author

Jim Simon

Keyboard Shortcut Improvements

PostSat Nov 14, 2020 2:45 pm

I want to start a list of improvements folks would like to see for the Keyboard Shortcuts in Resolve.

But first, kudos to BMD for opening the Customization dialog with All Commands selected by default. :D
Last edited by Jim Simon on Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Jim Simon

Re: Shortcut Improvements

PostSat Nov 14, 2020 2:52 pm

One item on my list is the general arrangement of shortcuts. Try searching for Next Clip...and nothing shows up. As if the shortcut doesn't exist. Yet this is a fairly common shortcut that all NLE's have, including Resolve.

So why doesn't it show up in the search?

Because the shortcut is actually called Edit>Select>Next. Who the hell is going to know that?!

A better logic is desperately needed here.
Last edited by Jim Simon on Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Jim Simon

PostSat Nov 14, 2020 2:54 pm

Another annoyance for me is using different shortcuts on different pages for the same behavior.

For example, Next Keyframe is ] on the Edit page, but it's Alt+] in the Fusion page.

WHYYYYYYYYY???!!!!
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Jim Simon

PostSun Nov 15, 2020 4:24 pm

Clicking the M key in the graphic shows the shortcut as "Current Selected".

What?!

M is the Add Marker shortcut. Why does it get listed as Current Selected? What does that even mean?

C'mon BMD. Time for some shortcut TLC.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Philipp Glaninger

PostTue Nov 17, 2020 1:05 pm

Ohhh yes. I agree to what was said above.

I like to add the Problem that I can not resize the "Keyboard Customization" Window. This leads sometimes to the problem that I can not reach and edit all of my longer Keystrok combinations. What I mean is that the "X" Symbol that is meant to delete a shortcut is sometimes simply outside of the window frame.
Resolve Studio 18.x / i7 6700k / Windows 10 (64GB Ram) / GeForce GTX 1080TI 11GB / Tangent Wave Tablet / 3 Monitors + 1 Reference Monitor (by Intensity Pro)

elkins.alex

PostWed Nov 18, 2020 2:33 pm

[POST EDITED MAR '22 AS THIS HAS BEEN DEALT WITH]
Last edited by elkins.alex on Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jim Simon

PostWed Nov 18, 2020 4:46 pm

Philipp Glaninger wrote:I can not resize the "Keyboard Customization" Window.
I would love to see this as well.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Jim Simon

PostWed Nov 18, 2020 4:49 pm

elkins.alex wrote:Can we talk about the Next Clip/Edit shortcut please?
Those are now two separate shortcuts in version 17. :D
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

elkins.alex

PostWed Nov 18, 2020 5:07 pm

Jim Simon wrote:Those are now two separate shortcuts in version 17. :D

:o :o :o :o :o

Jim, you've just made my day. This is SUCH good news. I've not tested the beta yet because I'm in the middle of a few projects on 16 but I look forward to testing it out.

I've already ordered my Speed Editor. Bye bye, Premiere!

sindrekdn

PostThu Nov 19, 2020 2:11 pm

I would love to see a Ripple Trim Previous Edit to Playhead and Ripple Trim Next Edit to Playhead like shortcut.

Tom Early

PostThu Nov 19, 2020 3:40 pm

sindrekdn wrote:I would love to see a Ripple Trim Previous Edit to Playhead and Ripple Trim Next Edit to Playhead like shortcut.

In the menus, Trim/Ripple/Start to Playhead or End to playhead (assignable as a shortcut)

It's a good idea to check the manual for a feature, then ask in the forums if unsure, and only then ask for a feature to be added. Would also be a good idea to delete your other thread if you can.
MBP2021 M1 Max 64GB, macOS 14.4, Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Output: UltraStudio 4K Mini, Desktop Video 12.7

kalain

PostThu Nov 26, 2020 8:55 am

Hi,
Add 'Double clic' button to assign double clic as a short cut.

For example, in timeline Cut page, by now a double clic in a clip does nothing. (Ok, double clic action is free)
I would like to execute 'Find in media pool' when double clic in a clip. (Instead of Alt+F short cut)

Tom Early

PostThu Nov 26, 2020 10:39 am

kalain wrote:Hi,
Add 'Double clic' button to assign double clic as a short cut.

For example, in timeline Cut page, by now a double clic in a clip does nothing. (Ok, double clic action is free)
I would like to execute 'Find in media pool' when double clic in a clip. (Instead of Alt+F short cut)

Why not just change the shortcut for Find In Media Pool so it doesn't require a modifier?

Jim Simon

PostFri Nov 27, 2020 6:37 pm

kalain wrote:Add 'Double clic' button to assign double clic as a short cut.

That would fall under the more general idea of adding Mouse Shortcuts, which itself isn't a bad idea.

But maybe those ideas should be in your separate thread...

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=127347

...keeping this one focused on Keyboard Shortcuts.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

John Spirou

PostSat Nov 28, 2020 1:17 pm

I would like to see some shortcuts for adding speed point and opening speed curves in edit.

AndrewKeil

PostSat Nov 28, 2020 2:05 pm

It would be great to have a stabilisation shortcut in the edit page.

anikolic

PostSat Nov 28, 2020 3:01 pm

Jim Simon has mentioned that there are now two separate commands for Next Clip/Edit, one of which ignores selection and hopefully track selection as well. I've also been looking for this feature for a very long time.

Can somebody please let me know what the new command is called? I am struggling to find it in the keyboard customisation. Thx!

If in the next update, Blackmagic can also include a shortcut to switch on and off all the auto track selects (not just all audio, video and subtitles separately) that would even better. :D

Jim Simon

PostSat Nov 28, 2020 6:22 pm

anikolic wrote:I am struggling to find it in the keyboard customisation.

That's one of the reasons I started this thread. The organization is..flawed.

Previous/Next Edit is the normal Up/Down Arrows. Clip selection is irrelevant, as it should be, but Track Selection is still relevant, also as it should be. (So watch those Auto Track Selectors.)

Previous/Next Clip is the CTRL+Left/Right Arrows. CTRL+Up/Down Arrows will select clips in higher or lower numbered tracks.

Quite elegant, actually.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Jim Simon

PostSat Nov 28, 2020 6:24 pm

AndrewKeil wrote:a stabilization shortcut in the edit page.

What would that do, exactly?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

anikolic

PostMon Nov 30, 2020 1:25 pm

That's one of the reasons I started this thread. The organization is..flawed.

Previous/Next Edit is the normal Up/Down Arrows. Clip selection is irrelevant, as it should be, but Track Selection is still relevant, also as it should be. (So watch those Auto Track Selectors.)

Previous/Next Clip is the CTRL+Left/Right Arrows. CTRL+Up/Down Arrows will select clips in higher or lower numbered tracks.

Quite elegant, actually.

Thanks Jim. I agree 100% that the organisation is not very logical. The number of commands that can be assigned is immense and that is fantastic, but it also can be a bit overwhelming.

I disagree with you about the auto-track selectors though. On Avid you have an option to make track selection either relevant or irrelevant to the next edit command. For me it is always set to irrelevant.

95% of the time I use the next/previous edit just to get me to the end or the beginning of the current shot (or current bit of audio). There might be two or three edits before the point that I want to get to, but it is much quicker to just press the command two or three times in a row then to operate the auto-track selectors all the time.

Personally, I would like auto-track selector to be used just for designating which tracks should be kept in sync. For copying and pasting it would be better to use something closer to Pro Tools. I acknowledge that it is more complicated because you have video and audio, but surely there is a clever way to do it.

Tom Early

PostMon Nov 30, 2020 2:00 pm

anikolic wrote:95% of the time I use the next/previous edit just to get me to the end or the beginning of the current shot (or current bit of audio)

There's a separate shortcut for that

Jim Simon

PostMon Nov 30, 2020 3:47 pm

anikolic wrote:I use the next/previous edit just to get me to the end or the beginning of the current shot

There are separate shortcuts for that if it helps.

; and '
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

C.T. Bell

PostTue Dec 01, 2020 2:38 pm

Can we have the ability to map commonly used elements (in my case, a background image used brand-wide and a handful of transition sound FX) to a key of my choosing.
Last edited by C.T. Bell on Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Resolve 18.0.4
Ryzen 2700x - 8 core
GTX 1070ti 8gb
64 Gig ram @
1tb WD SN750 NVME SSD
Win 11

C.T. Bell

PostTue Dec 01, 2020 2:39 pm

John Spirou wrote:I would like to see some shortcuts for adding speed point and opening speed curves in edit.

+1 to this
Resolve 18.0.4
Ryzen 2700x - 8 core
GTX 1070ti 8gb
64 Gig ram @
1tb WD SN750 NVME SSD
Win 11

Philipp Glaninger

PostTue Dec 01, 2020 5:49 pm

John Spirou wrote:I would like to see some shortcuts for adding speed point and opening speed curves in edit.

And a shortcut for adding/selecting/deleting Audio Keyframes in the timeline.
Resolve Studio 18.x / i7 6700k / Windows 10 (64GB Ram) / GeForce GTX 1080TI 11GB / Tangent Wave Tablet / 3 Monitors + 1 Reference Monitor (by Intensity Pro)

Arun Ezilmanivannan

PostTue Dec 01, 2020 8:24 pm

I think they solved this problem in Davinci Reolve 17 beta 3, it is a wonderful feeling to have this feature being included in this version. This has been the issue since i started using DaVinci version 9, now this problem is also addressed. Thanks Blackmagic Davinci Resolve team and Peter chamberlain

elkins.alex wrote:Can we talk about the Next Clip/Edit shortcut please?

It's something that has been mentioned by numerous people for years and yet I never see any acknowledgement from BMD that there is a problem.

I'm talking about the issue where having a clip selected in the Edit page and using the 'next clip/edit' shortcut (down arrow) doesn't jump to the next edit point unless you deselect clips first. It's completely counter-intuitive to anyone coming to Resolve from an editing background. See below.

Here's a timeline. A clip is selected but the playhead is further forwards.

1.jpg

I press the down arrow and this happens:

2.jpg

Notice how the CTI has gone BACK IN TIME. WHAT!?

Here's what should happen:

3.jpg

On the edit page the down arrow shortcut should always move the CTI to the next clip in the timeline, not the next clip after the selection. The CTI is king. I should be able to navigate around the timeline using up/down arrows without clip selection changing. This is how all the other NLE's work.

This simple issue is literally the only thing that has stopped me making Resolve my main NLE for the past couple of years. It's that much of a show stopper because I'm being asked to relearn 15+ years of muscle memory.

I can't stress how counterintuitive it is to have your playhead jump back in time to the next selected clip rather than forwards in time to the next edit point in the timeline. I always expect the down arrow to move me forwards in time to the next shot in the timeline. It's that simple.

I'll add that track selection shouldn't have any bearing on this either. Pressing the down arrow should always jump to the next edit point on any track, and there should be a separate shortcut or preference to factor in track selection as well.

Yes, I completely understand that this behaviour is preferable in the Color page, but we're not in the Color page.

Please don't tell me that all I need to do is deselect the clip first. There are many reasons why I wouldn't want to deselect a clip while I jump around the timeline. I've been using Resolve since v9 and I get it. I know how to work around this problem. However, with the massive improvements coming up in DR17 I'm absolutely certain that BMD are going to find more and more editors hitting a major stumbling block here.

I desperately hope they finally recognise this issue because it's a major time suck. I can't be the only person who thinks this, can I?!
Thanks and Regards
Arun EM
editor.emarun@gmail.com

iMac 27 inch, a windows laptop with RTX2060, a windows desktop with RTX2080ti and Amd ryzen 3900x

AndrewKeil

PostTue Dec 01, 2020 8:32 pm

Arun Ezilmanivannan wrote:it is a wonderful feeling to have this feature being included in this version.

I know, it's easily the standout new feature of the beta! It's pretty much halved my frustrations with Resolve in one go :D

Jim Simon

PostTue Dec 01, 2020 10:45 pm

Thought of a new one I'd like to see.

Shortcuts for the Full Extent Zoom and Detail Zoom levels on the Edit page, along with adding those options to Fairlight and Deliver.
Last edited by Jim Simon on Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

PineHill

PostWed Dec 02, 2020 3:11 am

I'd like to see the timeline horizontal scroll shortcut go back to 'shift+scroll,' as it was in v16. As well as some consistency in scrolling behavior between pages and panels.

Currently, in v17: 'command+scroll' scrolls horizontally in the timeline and 'shift+scroll' scrolls horizontally in panels.

Ideally, I'd prefer to the ability to customize it, but 'shift+scroll' should handle ALL horizontal scroll commands, throughout the software. Similar to other software programs.

studio1492

Switch between Scopes shortcut

PostFri Dec 04, 2020 8:40 pm

On docked x1 scopes:

A keyboard shortcut to go to the next/prev Scope (parade>waveform>vectroscope>histogram)

OR

Change between scopes with the mousewheel

OR

a bar with Icons to show the requiered scope

OR

click on the scopes goes to the next/prev scope (like websites slideshow)

BUT PLEASE BMD:
stop torturing us with the "tiny dropdown menu" each time we need a given scope.

Also the scopes are a "mouse-dead" zone, no actions possible with the mouse. Help us to accelerate our workflows doing it clickable. Examples:
- Mouse over the scope axis highlights in the viewer the corresponding pixels (and viceversa, while pointing on the viewer, highlights the scope the matching axis area).
- clicking on the scope opens "scopes options" instead of the tiny icon.
- Scrollwheel switches between scopes (parade>waveform>vectroscope>histogram)
- MBP 14" M1 Pro 16GB, 1TB, 10 core CPU, 16 core GPU.
- Resolve Studio 18.6.4 @ macOS 13.6.2
- Mini Panel v2.0
- Speed Editor (gathering dust until killer custom keys arrive)
- Synology DS218

Jim Simon

PostFri Dec 04, 2020 11:04 pm

PineHill wrote:I'd like to see the timeline horizontal scroll shortcut go back to 'shift+scroll,'

That would be more of a mouse shortcut thing, which we currently have no access to and so would be an entirely different Feature Request.

This thread is for keyboard shortcuts.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Keyboard Shortcut Improvements

PostTue Mar 09, 2021 8:26 am

I agree, please keep this thread on keyboard shortcuts if possible.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

psbanerjee

PostThu Apr 08, 2021 10:58 am

Version - Latest - 17.1.1
Platform - PC/Windows

Assumption: Keyboard shortcuts under "Application" in the keyboard customization panel work no matter where you are in DR and which panel is active.

Observation: I have multiple instances of such 'application' wide shortcuts not working. Couple of examples below:

1. Steps to reproduce:

a. Media page> Media pool (active panel)
b. Keyboard shortcuts not working:

i. Clear in and out - ALT-X
ii. First frame - ;
iii.Last frame - '

c. But, some of the other 'application' wide shortcuts are working:

i. Play (space bar)
ii. Fast Forward/Backward - Shift-L / Shift - J
iii. Loop/Unloop - Ctrl-L

The ones which are not working do seem to work when the 'source viewer' is the active panel. But, it's very inconvenient to keep switching between the media pool/bins and the viewer as the 'active panel' to just go to first and last frames of the clips.

More importantly, by design, shouldn't all 'application' wide shortcuts work no matter which panel is active?

Am I missing anything?

Please advise.

TurtleMint

PostSat Apr 24, 2021 9:16 am

Hi there !

Is there an actual way to switch scopes mode (parade, waveform, vectorscope...) with keyboard shortcuts ? I see relevant entry in the "keyboard customization" window but no matter which key I assign to "Parade" or "Waveform" or "Vectorscope" (under Panels>Color Viewer of the "keyboard customization" window), it has no action at all. Using v17.0 at the moment, having limited datas so I haven't upgraded to 17.1.1, but I definitely will if it fixed it.

Thanks for you help.
Harvey

Jim Simon

PostSat Apr 24, 2021 3:55 pm

I tested one of those shortcuts in Studio 17.1.1 for Windows, Harvey, and it didn't work for me either.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

yargord

PostMon Apr 26, 2021 1:28 pm

currently, there's no way to assign a shortcut to Move Clip Up/Down between tracks. the default is Ctrl+Arrow Up/Down, and it this command isn't even is the list of commands in the Keyboard customization window...
Windows 11 Home 22H2
i78750H
1060 Max-Q 6GB
16GB RAM

Tom Early

PostMon Apr 26, 2021 1:34 pm

yargord wrote:currently, there's no way to assign a shortcut to Move Clip Up/Down between tracks. the default is Ctrl+Arrow Up/Down, and it this command isn't even is the list of commands in the Keyboard customization window...

there is on mine

studio1492

PostMon Apr 26, 2021 7:53 pm

AndrewKeil wrote:It would be great to have a stabilisation shortcut in the edit page.

+1
- MBP 14" M1 Pro 16GB, 1TB, 10 core CPU, 16 core GPU.
- Resolve Studio 18.6.4 @ macOS 13.6.2
- Mini Panel v2.0
- Speed Editor (gathering dust until killer custom keys arrive)
- Synology DS218

brediknight

PostMon May 03, 2021 7:41 pm

Take Selector Cycle Shortcut

brediknight

PostMon May 03, 2021 8:13 pm

Hot Key for "Good Take"

brediknight

PostMon May 03, 2021 8:15 pm

Hot Key for "Search" / "Filter"

I keep thinking this exists... how can it not? CMD F usually works in most OSX apps

brediknight

PostMon May 03, 2021 8:16 pm

Select/Deselect ALL Auto Selectors. Video AND Audio

brediknight

PostMon May 03, 2021 8:18 pm

Hot Keys for Next/Prev Edit - Ignore Track selections.

brediknight

PostMon May 03, 2021 8:19 pm

Select/Deselect ALL Track Source / Destinations. Video AND Audio

Jim Simon

PostMon May 03, 2021 11:12 pm

brediknight wrote:Hot Keys for Next/Prev Edit - Ignore Track selections.
I would vote no on this one.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

brediknight

PostMon May 03, 2021 11:53 pm

Jim Simon wrote:
brediknight wrote:Hot Keys for Next/Prev Edit - Ignore Track selections.
I would vote no on this one.

Why? It only adds functionality for those who want it. And work this way in Avid.

This way, you don't have to keep being interrupted by track selectors to jump a few edits forward or back.

Lets say you have SFX on audio track 10, three edits up. Three hits of the Next Key would get you there.
Instead, now, you have to deselect all other tracks, even scroll with the mouse, then select your SFX track and then hit it 3x. Major slow down than just hitting the key 3x.

I think you'd like it once you started using it. A lot less enabling/disabling of track selectors.
There is an option key modifier that could adhere to track selectors.

brediknight

PostTue May 04, 2021 1:20 am

Swap SELECTED clips left
Swap SELECTED clips right.
(I'd like a modifier key gestural solutions for this too)
This ignores the endless variables of link, not link, clip link, not link, track selectors and just swaps the clips you have selected.

oh also, it doesn't overwrite clips. but swaps.

brediknight

PostTue May 04, 2021 10:35 pm

Assign Key to Layout Presets

Jim Simon

PostTue May 04, 2021 10:57 pm

brediknight wrote:Why?
It breaks the norm.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

brediknight

PostWed May 05, 2021 1:55 am

Jim Simon wrote:
brediknight wrote:Why?
It breaks the norm.

Your norm. :)

Avid and Premiere have these settings. They ARE, the norm.

AVID_NEXTCLIP.png
Avid Next Clip Settings
AVID_NEXTCLIP.png (29.87 KiB) Viewed 12705 times

PREMIERE_NEXTCLIP.png
Premiere Next Clip Setting
PREMIERE_NEXTCLIP.png (11.18 KiB) Viewed 12705 times
Next

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests