Feedback on Cloud Presentations

• Author

beaurosario

Feedback on Cloud Presentations

PostThu Apr 20, 2023 3:38 pm

Couldn't find a thread with this already, but it anyone sees one let me know! Here are my initial thoughts on Presentations:

Doesn’t seem like there’s currently a way to export (via quick export or deliver tab) a video using only proxies straight to a Presentation. Being able to use proxies for these exports would make a lot of sense because people will be using Presentation the most during remote rough cuts.

Make the play button a Play/Pause button rather than two buttons for “play” and “stop.” Feels more in line with standard playback toggles.

Add a way to drag out the handles of a marker to make it a stretched/windowed marker.

Not sure if it works when you have people already in the presentation of not, but would be great to be able to tag people (even if not present) in the chat to call their attention to the discussion / note. Especially if those people have Resolve accounts tied to your cloud.

Ability to give people from your company automatic access to all Presentations without having to invite them to each individually.

Auto syncing doesn’t always happen for the markers, and for those times it doesn’t auto sync it would be nice to have an actual manual marker sync button on both sides (in Resolve and in Presentations).

I would love if I could replace Frame.io with this, but it would need (1) version stacking, (2) handled/pullable markers, (3) @tagging in chat/notes (would be great to use this as a way to “assign” notes to other editors), (4) “checkable” notes (right now, it seems like the only way to check a marker as resolved is to delete it, but it's nice to have the history by seeing them greyed out), (5) more metadata about the clips, like upload date and time, ability to rename the clip, etc.

Eventually being able to add footage / clips that aren’t coming from Resolve would be great. Every once in awhile, I’m asked to re-edit an old video or examine an individual clip or something, and it would be nice to bring that asset into Presentations (like Frame.io) and make notes on it.

Make files downloadable! This would be super super helpful if the client was happy with the cut, and just wanted to take it from there. This is, again, how we use Frame.io a lot.
MacBook Pro M1 Max, 64GB Ram, 2TB Storage, Sonoma 14.5

beaurosario

Re: Feedback on Cloud Presentations

PostThu Apr 20, 2023 5:13 pm

Also will add that the playback seems to be wonky with anything other than 16:9 aspect ratios. Things get squeezed to fit the playback box in Presentations.

scott1960

PostSat May 06, 2023 4:33 am

Have you looked at dropbox replay, I have been usinging dropbox replay up till now, Some of the issues I have found so far is that the moderator is the one that owns the presentation and is the moderator in sync playback, would be good to be hand it of to another editor or client so they can play sync mode. Overall it looks promising

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostMon May 08, 2023 4:29 pm

scott1960 wrote:Have you looked at dropbox replay, I have been usinging dropbox replay up till now, Some of the issues I have found so far is that the moderator is the one that owns the presentation and is the moderator in sync playback, would be good to be hand it of to another editor or client so they can play sync mode. Overall it looks promising

The whole point of using presentation is to ditch other softwares/ subscriptions, suggesting Dropbox goes against the whole principle.
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

dwmann7

PostFri May 19, 2023 11:18 am

agree with everything that beaurosario says

THIS HAS THE POTENTIAL TO BE EXCELLENT AND KNOCK FRAME.IO OUT FOR US

However.....

URGENTLY

Need the ability for the Client to control the Sync Playback otherwise they are instructing us the whole time that is frustrating. The person giving feedback live has to be able to control the sync playback otherwise everyone will give up quickly.

Need the ability to export to Presentations using proxies. Editors are working remotely with proxies. Asking HQ to open the project (then often have to relink clips because it doesn't the remote setup ahring files via Google Drive doesn't always work smoothly) and completing the export to Presentations is not ideal and slows everything down.

FOR THE FUTURE
Improve the Mic control of ambient sound. Maybe this is a local computer issue, but when we stop talking in the office the mic seems to switch the gain to picking up a lot of background noise??

Also when using headphones I can hear myself speaking in my headphones which is odd

I know it is beta but it is so close and I hope you can sort these things out super quick

The ability to play 2 clips side by side in sync from frame 00:00:00:00

beaurosario

PostFri May 26, 2023 6:33 pm

scott1960 wrote:Have you looked at dropbox replay, I have been usinging dropbox replay up till now, Some of the issues I have found so far is that the moderator is the one that owns the presentation and is the moderator in sync playback, would be good to be hand it of to another editor or client so they can play sync mode. Overall it looks promising

Well, I'm actually very happy with Frame.io. The only thing that would make me leave it would be a Resolve integration of some sort, but given that Frame is now Adobe it's safe to say that isn't happening. But I'm optimistic about Presentations.

Jamie Dickinson

PostThu Jul 27, 2023 8:39 am

Is there no display of the file name when you're viewing a Presentation? It's hard enough to know which version I'm about to load from the thumbnails if my naming as a V01 or V02 at the end since there's only a thumbnail view which truncates the files name. But once it's loaded and being viewed there's no way at all to see the file name? I'm reading the chat and markers.

Johannes Hoffmann

PostSat Aug 05, 2023 4:20 pm

Let me add a few things to the feedback. I just started using Cloud Presentations for a couple of interviews to share the uncut interview with the producer and later to get feedback on the first cuts. It is already a great tool for this and it is worth the monthly fee. I have not yet tried a live session.

My biggest issue so far is, that there seems to be no way, to get the timeline with the synced markers into the source viewer. I also found no way to copy those markers over to the clip (a multicam of the whole interview). So if I want to see all those markers from the producer while editing pieces of the interview into a new timeline, the only way seems to be the use of stacked timelines. That works somehow, but not as convenient as my normal workflow editing from the source viewer with all its commands.
Maybe my use case is a bit special ... I suppose for feedback on the edited interview things get easier as I'll then keep on working in the same timeline (or a copy of it).

A few minor wishes:
– it would be nice if I could adjust the render quality for the uploads. Upload time sometimes is precious and especially longer interviews can take a while in full HD. In my case even 360p would suffice as only the words are important for the first review.
- It would be nice if the timeline name could be pre-filed as name for the upload.

Has anyone tried what happens when you upload the same timeline again with the same name? Will it overwrite the previous version? Or create an additional one?

Johannes
Apple M1 Max, 32GB, 32 GB GPU – macOS Monterey
almost retired: MacPro 5.1, 48GB, RX 580 – macOS Mojave

scott1960

PostTue Oct 31, 2023 7:14 am

The point with regards to ditching other services is great but when you look at it to get more than 2GB of storage BMD comes out more expensive with hardly any features, I have now been using it for a few week, Only the moderator(oner has control) is strange as they are the not the ones generating the notes, no way to view the name of the clip being viewed, In davinci all markers are linked even copied ones, and they are not 2 way from davinci to presentation. Not being able to save old presentations in a folder for checking in the future, Not being able to share without the client registering. And of lately Un reliability, as I speak I am constantly getting the spinning dots, I can't continue to justify $30 a month. Don't get me wrong I want to use it but...

Norain

PostWed Feb 14, 2024 10:22 am

+1
Great points you guys have mentioned here!
I have some more feature requests

-Ability to fast forward playback speed of the presentations clip (2x speed would be great)
-Ability for the client to add duration markers
-Be able to download presentation clip
-Upload clips from hard drive directly to Blackmagic presentations without using DaVinci Resolve

This would be awesome if Blackmagic could implement these features... no need to use frame.io in this case. ;-P

oliwend

PostTue Apr 02, 2024 8:04 am

Adding one more:
Carry over range markers from Replay to DR timeline.
Range markers currently get displayed only as single Merker without in/out time.
MacBook Pro M1 Max (2021, 16'), MacOS 14.4.1, 64 GB RAM, Resolve Studio 18.6.6/19.0B20

leaoxp

PostTue Apr 30, 2024 6:03 am

For me the MOST important is if the cliente does not have to create an account and log-in in BM Cloud!! the clients simply don´t want to do that (I don´t understand why) - but the perfect would be - like frame.io - if we could just share a link with the cliente - he click in that link and is ready to go!!

oliwend

PostTue Apr 30, 2024 6:06 am

leaoxp wrote:For me the MOST important is if the cliente does not have to create an account and log-in in BM Cloud!! the clients simply don´t want to do that (I don´t understand why) - but the perfect would be - like frame.io - if we could just share a link with the cliente - he click in that link and is ready to go!!

I just tested Dropbox Replay the reviewers don#t need an account on DB to review...
MacBook Pro M1 Max (2021, 16'), MacOS 14.4.1, 64 GB RAM, Resolve Studio 18.6.6/19.0B20

leaoxp

PostTue Apr 30, 2024 9:40 pm

oliwend wrote:
leaoxp wrote:For me the MOST important is if the cliente does not have to create an account and log-in in BM Cloud!! the clients simply don´t want to do that (I don´t understand why) - but the perfect would be - like frame.io - if we could just share a link with the cliente - he click in that link and is ready to go!!

I just tested Dropbox Replay the reviewers don#t need an account on DB to review...

Yes, replay and frame.io don´t need account registration....this is the way... but unfortunelly presentations does need, for now. Hope BM change it

christiantinman

PostThu May 16, 2024 6:42 am

Really wish clients didint have to go and make a BMD Cloud account.... makes no sense if im inviting them into the presentation.

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests