Restore Colour to old cine films

• Author

andrew.wingrove

Restore Colour to old cine films

PostMon Apr 29, 2024 3:03 pm

While I was scanning some 35mm slides using Epson's software, I encountered an issue where some slides had turned pink, a common problem with Agfa film. Fortunately, the software offered an option for colour restoration, and it proved effective in rectifying the issue with one click.

It would be intriguing to see a similar feature incorporated into DaVinci Resolve Studio capable of achieving comparable results for people like myself who work with 8mm and 16mm cine film that has faded.

Marc Wielage

Re: Restore Colour to old cine films

PostTue Apr 30, 2024 2:26 am

andrew.wingrove wrote:It would be intriguing to see a similar feature incorporated into DaVinci Resolve Studio capable of achieving comparable results for people like myself who work with 8mm and 16mm cine film that has faded.

I do it all the time. The problem is that the Yellow and Cyan layers fade, leaving mostly Magenta. The trick is that if you turn the other color channels back up, they're extremely unstable, because what's left in those film layers will flicker very badly. It's very difficult to compensate for that kind of problem.
Certified DaVinci Resolve Color Trainer • AdvancedColorTraining.com

Return to DaVinci Resolve Feature Requests