Prores on Windows (Export, not import!)

DaVinci Resolve 19 Public Beta Discussion
  • Author

Pavle Milicevic

Prores on Windows (Export, not import!)

PostMon Apr 15, 2024 4:21 pm

Please, let this be said - we need Prores on Windows. It's kind of a silly situation in which from all the software I have on my machine, Resolve is the most used, but it's the only one that doesn't have Prores implemented.

Honestly if it was up to me, I'd be fine with DNxHR but them clients you know..
Last edited by Pavle Milicevic on Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

carsonjones

Re: Prores on Windows

PostMon Apr 15, 2024 4:39 pm

+1

madchiller

PostMon Apr 15, 2024 5:03 pm

+1

ShaheedMalik

PostMon Apr 15, 2024 7:43 pm

ProRes already works on Windows.

Are you asking for ProRes Raw?

Pavle Milicevic

PostMon Apr 15, 2024 8:08 pm

I want to export to Prores. Not just read one. Prores RAW is different matter, but also needed probably.

carsonjones

PostMon Apr 15, 2024 9:20 pm

The workaround now is to use Adobe Media Encoder to save out a Prores version. Would love to hear the real reason for why this isn't supported in Resolve on Windows.

madchiller

PostMon Apr 15, 2024 10:00 pm

Pavle Milicevic wrote:

I want to export to Prores. Not just read one. Prores RAW is different matter, but also needed probably.

Maybe you should update the thread title to ProRes Export on windows so it more
Clear..

CougerJoe

PostTue Apr 16, 2024 12:31 am

Pavle Milicevic wrote:

The plugin Voukoder contains the FFMPEG version of Prores. Quality wise it's very good but you couldn't use it in commercial work as final export for clients due to possible technical, legal and ethical problems

ricardo marty

PostTue Apr 16, 2024 4:42 am

carsonjones wrote:The workaround now is to use Adobe Media Encoder to save out a Prores version. Would love to hear the real reason for why this isn't supported in Resolve on Windows.

Nothing official has ever been published as to the reason for bmd not implementing prores raw But the fact that apple has a special arrangement with Atomos makes this a mute question. BMD is not going to hand out business to atomos. IF bmd cant license pr-raw for the video assist they will not make dvr pr-raw capable because it will affect their sales. the deal between atomos and apple appears to be very solid.

Ricardo Marty
DVR_S 18.5, Asus ProArt PD5, 2.5 GHz i7 16-Core 64GB of 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM GeForce RTX 3070 1TB M.2 NVMe Window 11, LenovoLegion 2.6 i7 10750h 2.6, 64gb 3200mhz, rtx 2060, 1tb ssd M.2 Win 11 BenQ PD3420Q, Sony FS700R, Bmp4k, Sony A6700. PreSonus AudioBox

Uli Plank

PostTue Apr 16, 2024 5:07 am

It's simple:
Apple is giving you the OS for free, so they need to sell hardware.
BM is giving you DR for free (or a price far too low to be realistic), so they need to sell hardware.

Regarding ProRes (non-RAW) on Windows: I doubt that using Voukoder is very problematic, since it's for free. Judging from the past, Apple is sending their lawyers only if you sell ProRes. It happened to Cinemartin, and now they don't exist any more. But as long as ffmpeg is free, they obviously tolerate it. If your client will accept it is another question, since it's not blessed by Apple. But if you have such demanding clients, use one of the many commercial solutions and charge for it.

Disclaimer:
I'm not a lawyer, in particular not an American one ;-)
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

dgrigo

PostTue Apr 16, 2024 8:59 am

Still Blackmagic caters too much for apple, so apple sells more hardware,
examples : Camera for IPHONE , Micro panel for IPAD , prores raw in all macs and others that I can't recall atm.
There are Cameras working with prores that can't won't be ignored imo, because at the end of the day both companies Apple and BMD produce frustration and hate.

Regards

dirk-pel

PostTue Apr 16, 2024 9:57 am

dgrigo wrote:Still Blackmagic caters too much for apple, so apple sells more hardware,
examples : Camera for IPHONE , Micro panel for IPAD , prores raw in all macs and others that I can't recall atm.
There are Cameras working with prores that can't won't be ignored imo, because at the end of the day both companies Apple and BMD produce frustration and hate.

Regards

Thats why I changed from Windows to Mac and up to now I'm satisfied.
The micropanel is also for normal use in windows.

Dirk PEL
Davinci Resolve 19 Beta Studio, Micropanel, Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, 16" Macbook Pro M1 MAX 32 GB, 1TB SSD, macOS Monterey12.4, EIZO CS2420,Philips 27e1n8900 OLED, BM Decklink Mini Monitor 4K on a TH3P4 board for Mac. iPhone 14 Pro

Pavle Milicevic

Re: Prores on Windows (Export, not import!)

PostTue Apr 16, 2024 10:05 am

I've changed title of post to better clarify, that what I've meant is EXPORT of Prores in Resolve on Windows, not import (which works mighty fine, except Prores RAW).

EMDave

PostWed Apr 17, 2024 2:09 am

+1

Uli Plank

PostWed Apr 17, 2024 5:44 am

That's why Voukoder got mentioned, which is the easiest way to get it.
There must be legal and/or economical issues around officially supporting it, or it would have happened a long time ago.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Lucius Snow

PostWed Apr 17, 2024 10:22 am

Voukoder / ffmpeg pipeline is 10-bit limited. So forget about ProRes 4:4:4:4.

Uli Plank

PostWed Apr 17, 2024 11:44 am

If you really need ProRes 4x4, you should also earn the money with it to get one of the commercial solutions.

Pavle Milicevic

PostWed Apr 17, 2024 5:42 pm

Uli Plank wrote:If you really need ProRes 4x4, you should also earn the money with it to get one of the commercial solutions.

Last time I've checked, I've paid for Resolve Studio sir.

carsonjones

PostWed Apr 17, 2024 6:15 pm

Uli Plank wrote:If you really need ProRes 4x4, you should also earn the money with it to get one of the commercial solutions.

Uli which commercial options are you referring to? Not meant as a snarky comment, I'm genuinely interested in hearing about commercial options available and whether we can get them working with Resolve directly. Short of that, Adobe Media Encoder works just fine.

madchiller

PostWed Apr 17, 2024 6:21 pm

carsonjones wrote:

Uli which commercial options are you referring to? Not meant as a snarky comment, I'm genuinely interested in hearing about commercial options available and whether we can get them working with Resolve directly. Short of that, Adobe Media Encoder works just fine.

Personally I think it’s crazy we would need to support a competitor like Adobe to get a proper ProRes render support on windows… it would almost be acceptable if media encoder could be purchased separately without cloud, Premiere and AE. But sending BMD users to Adobe is shooting yourself in the foot.

However I feel many would buy an Add on for ProRes if BMD could somehow offer it .. rather than give more money to Adobe ..

I can only speak for my self but there is no chance I want to support a subscription model like Adobe.

carsonjones

PostWed Apr 17, 2024 6:25 pm

A fair point about paying more for Adobe just to render out Prores. That said, many people who use Resolve for work also use the Adobe suite and so we already have access to it. I fit in to that category.

I'd be happy to pay Black Magic an annual amount for access to rendering out Prores in Resolve natively on a Windows workstation. I think it would have to be subscription based in order for BM to realistically do it. No problem with that here.

Pavle Milicevic

PostWed Apr 17, 2024 6:43 pm

Personally I think it’s crazy we would need to support a competitor like Adobe to get a proper ProRes render support on windows… it would almost be acceptable if media encoder could be purchased separately without cloud, Premiere and AE. But sending BMD users to Adobe is shooting yourself in the foot.

However I feel many would buy an Add on for ProRes if BMD could somehow offer it .. rather than give more money to Adobe ..

I can only speak for my self but there is no chance I want to support a subscription model like Adobe.

This - even if Adobe would offer pernament licence for Adobe Media Encoder - so does other software but all the of them don't solve an issue where I have 100+ timelines and I really would like to just render them to 4444 12bit right away.

Yes, I'm open to pay extra money for that to happen. I realize it might not be in need for everyone, but if it could be implemented as paid on addon for those that need it, I think it would be viable business option.

CougerJoe

PostThu Apr 18, 2024 12:16 am

Lucius Snow wrote:Voukoder / ffmpeg pipeline is 10-bit limited. So forget about ProRes 4:4:4:4.

What does 10bit limited mean in reference to chroma, what can voukoder do?
Can it correctly output 422 10bit, and 444 10bit?

Uli Plank

PostThu Apr 18, 2024 12:41 am

carsonjones wrote:Uli which commercial options are you referring to? Not meant as a snarky comment, I'm genuinely interested in hearing about commercial options available and whether we can get them working with Resolve directly. Short of that, Adobe Media Encoder works just fine.
The list is long and it's here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/118584
Unfortunately, none of these integrates directly with DR. I was hoping for MainConcept, who are also behind AME, but nothing yet.

Lucius Snow

PostThu Apr 18, 2024 10:50 am

CougerJoe wrote:
Lucius Snow wrote:Voukoder / ffmpeg pipeline is 10-bit limited. So forget about ProRes 4:4:4:4.

What does 10bit limited mean in reference to chroma, what can voukoder do?
Can it correctly output 422 10bit, and 444 10bit?

Yes.

braded

PostFri Apr 19, 2024 12:12 pm

It really shouldn't be this hard to export prores on DR! I would also be interested in paying extra for some form of plug-in if offered by DM.

In the meantime, what other software do people recommend other than Voukoder?

Dermot Shane

PostFri Apr 19, 2024 3:41 pm

braded wrote:It really shouldn't be this hard to export prores on DR! I would also be interested in paying extra for some form of plug-in if offered by DM.

In the meantime, what other software do people recommend other than Voukoder?

i use Voukoder a lot, but for deliiverables where it lists "Apple Prores" i either:

- Run out a Voukoder and wash through an old MBP running v16, use same as source, makes a legit "Apple" master copies at the speed of the disk subsystem, a show at 4k copies at 500fps when useing an SSD on Tb...fastest answer

- make a mezinene DNxHR, and re-encode in Nucoda- slower - but supports 4444 / 12b when needed,

fortunatly 99%. of the deliverables call for an IMF + EXR + 422Hq so Voukoder is the simple / clean / fast answer, passes studio level QC, no issues

Rakesh Malik

PostFri Apr 19, 2024 3:52 pm

I do find it both frustrating and amusing that Nuke and Fusion can export ProRes, but not Resolve.

:?
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

madchiller

PostFri Apr 19, 2024 5:32 pm

Rakesh Malik wrote:I do find it both frustrating and amusing that Nuke and Fusion can export ProRes, but not Resolve.

Maybe a solution could be for BMD to add a direct saver in Fusion Studio so we can make a FS Media Encoder. Currently savers do not load audio from loaders, but if they did... It could work

Pavle Milicevic

PostFri Apr 19, 2024 6:32 pm

madchiller wrote:
Rakesh Malik wrote:I do find it both frustrating and amusing that Nuke and Fusion can export ProRes, but not Resolve.

Maybe a solution could be for BMD to add a direct saver in Fusion Studio so we can make a FS Media Encoder. Currently savers do not load audio from loaders, but if they did... It could work

This would open so many other possibilities as well - using Fusion "engine" so to speak to automate VFX deliveries etc (think slates, many outputs from single source, versioning etc).

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostSat Apr 20, 2024 3:27 pm

+1
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

CougerJoe

PostSat Apr 20, 2024 11:13 pm

Pavle Milicevic wrote:
madchiller wrote:

This would open so many other possibilities as well - using Fusion "engine" so to speak to automate VFX deliveries etc (think slates, many outputs from single source, versioning etc).

I don't think BM want to involve themselves in any workarounds, they want Prores as a legit encoder in Windows Resolve with the blessing from Apple. But how many more years are they going to wait for possibly nothing at all to change.

SandroSchreiber

PostSun Apr 21, 2024 7:16 am

+1

although I can highly recommend Voukoder!
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 | Resolve Mini Panel | Win11 23H2
GeForce RTX4090 (552.22 studio driver) | DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K, Desktop Video 12.8.1

xchrisx

PostSun Apr 21, 2024 10:13 am

I would not suggest Voukoder, because it is not real ProRes, I had several problems in my workplace, broadcast. Frame repeats, ghosting, video artifacts.

We must have a REAL ProRes export on Windows, for Davinci!!!!!

Robert Niessner

PostSun Apr 21, 2024 6:36 pm

xchrisx wrote:I would not suggest Voukoder, because it is not real ProRes, I had several problems in my workplace, broadcast. Frame repeats, ghosting, video artifacts.

If you encounter issues please make a bug report in Voukoder forum.

On the other hand I haven’t had any issues with Voukoder for a long time now. And no complaints from quality control, or even iTunes store.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Hendrik Proosa

PostSun Apr 21, 2024 6:39 pm

CougerJoe wrote:I don't think BM want to involve themselves in any workarounds, they want Prores as a legit encoder in Windows Resolve with the blessing from Apple. But how many more years are they going to wait for possibly nothing at all to change.

As long as it is just waiting everyone keeps waiting. Bad Apple, keeps Resolve the last application without official prores encoder.
I do stuff

waltervolpatto

PostMon Apr 22, 2024 3:04 am

Robert Niessner wrote:
xchrisx wrote:I would not suggest Voukoder, because it is not real ProRes, I had several problems in my workplace, broadcast. Frame repeats, ghosting, video artifacts.

On the other hand I haven’t had any issues with Voukoder for a long time now. And no complaints from quality control, or even iTunes store.

how do you install teh Vudoku plugin?
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled

Robert Niessner

PostMon Apr 22, 2024 5:49 am

waltervolpatto wrote:
Robert Niessner wrote:

how do you install teh Vudoku plugin?

Download Voukoder 13.4.1 from here:
https://www.voukoder.org/forum/thread/7 ... tructions/

It has an installer.

Then you need the connector v0.13.0 for Resolve.

1. Extract the contents of this zip file to C:\ProgramData\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\Support\IOPlugins
2. If the IOPlugins directory does not exist, create it
3. Make sure you have the main Voukoder application installed
4. Done
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

waltervolpatto

PostWed Apr 24, 2024 2:48 am

Robert Niessner wrote:
Download Voukoder 13.4.1 from here:
https://www.voukoder.org/forum/thread/7 ... tructions/

It has an installer.

Then you need the connector v0.13.0 for Resolve.

1. Extract the contents of this zip file to C:\ProgramData\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\Support\IOPlugins
2. If the IOPlugins directory does not exist, create it
3. Make sure you have the main Voukoder application installed
4. Done

is there a similar solution for linux?

Uli Plank

PostWed Apr 24, 2024 3:43 am

He's working on a Pro version, that should compile for Linux too and is currently in beta:
https://www.voukoder.org/forum/thread/1 ... blic-beta/

Rakesh Malik

PostWed Apr 24, 2024 4:22 am

madchiller wrote:

A better solution would be to stop being so nice to crapple and simply enable it in Resolve. Enough is enough, we the customers are more important than the chewed fruit company with the bad grammar slogan.
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

CougerJoe

PostWed Apr 24, 2024 5:17 am

We must have a REAL ProRes export on Windows, for Davinci!!!!!

Was the problem with the recommended version of FFMPEG Prores, - KS or the other version which is supposed to be faster but has known problems - AW . Voukoder contains both.

Apple agree's with you, but, we don't know if they're only talking about a particular variant .

Unauthorised codec implementations
In some instances, unauthorised codec implementations have been used in third-party software and hardware products. Using any unauthorised implementation (such as the FFmpeg and derivative implementations) might lead to decoding errors, performance degradation, incompatibility and instability. If you're using or considering the purchase of a product that encodes or decodes ProRes but isn't on the list below, please contact us at ProRes@apple.com.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/118584

Lucius Snow

PostWed Apr 24, 2024 5:11 pm

Well... do like me:

- keep your PC
- install Linux as dual boot
- find the orange dongle on eBay *

* I bought mine $1500 in 2020.

Pavle Milicevic

PostWed Apr 24, 2024 6:41 pm

Lucius Snow wrote:Well... do like me:

- keep your PC

Please don't be silly. Might as well subscribe to some other software and transcode there, less hassle.

Lucius Snow

PostThu Apr 25, 2024 12:12 pm

Pavle Milicevic wrote:
Lucius Snow wrote:Well... do like me:

- keep your PC

Please don't be silly. Might as well subscribe to some other software and transcode there, less hassle.

Pavle Milicevic wrote:This - even if Adobe would offer pernament licence for Adobe Media Encoder - so does other software but all the of them don't solve an issue where I have 100+ timelines and I really would like to just render them to 4444 12bit right away.

Return to DaVinci Resolve 19 Public Beta