Feature requests same as old feature requests

DaVinci Resolve 19 Public Beta Discussion
  • Author

jason carey

Feature requests same as old feature requests

PostSun Apr 14, 2024 11:00 pm

I am so glad you put the direct timecode entry back, but in terms of UX issues, on the Edit page you still can only see one channel of audio in the inspector, and cant control and turn channels on and off without going into the clip attributes.. See fig. 1.. here the source has 10 channels of audio but I can only see it as one. Better still please please put in a clip side feature like every other NLE. Also its very frustrating if say you have 10 channels of audio on the source side and need them all but only want to have 4 say on your timeline. If you want to do a video only edit, it adds the audio tracks.. I don't want to have to constantly go into clip attributes to stop this from happening.. see fig 2a and 2b (empty timeline with 4 channels_ and 2c after trying to do a video only edit.. I don't want to have to have the same amount of tracks on the timeline to NOT have my audio edit.. its counter intuitive. A source patch would a la Avid would really work better. (I am not rigid, this is a pain on Resolve, just like some things in Avid and Premiere are worse). you can see in fig 2c that it forces you to add tracks and audio if you have less tracks on the timeline than the source.

Also on the color page, and across the pages, I was hoping to be able to dock and undock the panes and in the color page expand all the panes, like you can the curves, but you cant the slices for example..
thanks.. I just wish you would add less features and make usability, especially in the edit page more advanced.
Attachments
fig 2a.png
fig 2a.png (357.65 KiB) Viewed 717 times
2c.png
2c
2c.png (329.18 KiB) Viewed 717 times
figure on inspector.png
fig on inspect
figure on inspector.png (163.67 KiB) Viewed 717 times

Andy Mees

Re: Feature requests same as old feature requests

PostMon Apr 15, 2024 7:33 am

jason carey wrote: on the Edit page you still can only see one channel of audio in the inspector, and cant control and turn channels on and off without going into the clip attributes.. See fig. 1.. here the source has 10 channels of audio but I can only see it as one. Better still please please put in a clip side feature like every other NLE.
in Resolve 19, you can now see and manage audio clip attributes in the Inspector panel File tab

Uli Plank

PostWed Apr 17, 2024 7:54 am

Yep. Scroll down or expand.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

jason carey

PostThu Apr 18, 2024 3:45 pm

This is for Andy .. I have a clip with 16 channels of audio.. here is my file screen shot in the inspector in the file tab. I don't see controls for all 16 channels and I don't see them in the inspector audio tab either.
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-04-18 at 11.43.29 AM.png
file tab
Screenshot 2024-04-18 at 11.43.29 AM.png (220.96 KiB) Viewed 472 times

jason carey

PostThu Apr 18, 2024 3:48 pm

for andy. and here is the inspector audio screen shot.. what am I missing here? I only see controls for one thing
Attachments
audio tab.png
audio inspector
audio tab.png (331.83 KiB) Viewed 472 times

Andy Mees

PostFri Apr 19, 2024 6:27 pm

Hey Jason

If you have media that is 16 channel but that is being seen and identified by Resolve as being native '2 channel adaptive' then it would be worth sharing a link to a sample if you can. The staff can take a look and see why its being mishandled. (Other users can maybe test on their own systems too).

On my own setup, 16 channel mono audio source media is being seen correctly.
Screenshot 2024-04-19 at 19.21.48.png
Screenshot 2024-04-19 at 19.21.48.png (738.09 KiB) Viewed 382 times

Cheers
Andy

jason carey

PostFri Apr 19, 2024 9:11 pm

Andy, I cannot share. but That is the Clip attributes tab not the inspector in the edit page. That is where you need to be able to control each channel individuually, and a clip mixer would help too. But on the clip side we should be able to control each channel, not after it has been editied into the timeline.

Andy Mees

PostFri Apr 19, 2024 9:45 pm

jason carey wrote:but That is the Clip attributes tab not the inspector in the edit page
Apologies if I'm misunderstanding you, but the picture I posted is definitely showing the Inspector panel in the Edit page (seen at right)... and yes, it's also showing the Clip Attributes window for the same clip (for reference).

If I may say, what's a little unclear in your own screenshots is whether the various images are showing the same sources eg in one image (fig 2a) you show a Clip Attributes window for a clip which is identified as having 16 mono channels (possibly clip: THC_DISN_200802_CRS_000_2398_60_20240201_01.mov), another image (fig on inspect) shows the Inspector panel for the above named clip... but its showing the wrong tab. In the follow up post you do show an image (file tab) which shows the Inspector panel's File tab, but seems to be for a different clip, called 'NODE TEST', identified as 2 ch - adaptive. You seem to be asserting that that clip (NODE TEST) is really 16 channel mono, and Resolve has it wrong, but as you can't provide a sample, that's going to put the devs in a tricky situation, as they have no means with which to replicate the issue.

Beyond that, however, I certainly agree that the new source side audio functionality added in v19b1 is still disappointingly limited, but hopefully that will be improved upon... eg why can't I click and drag across the channels to enable/disable (like with track controls in the Index window) instead of having to painfully click, click, click on each channel independently?... or why cant I simply save and load a preferred channel config? I truly appreciate I now don't need to open the Clip Attributes window to turn off the unwanted channels, but its still an unnecessarily painful process.

Tom Early

PostSat Apr 20, 2024 10:54 am

jason carey wrote:Andy, I cannot share.

You could make an audio file with the same spec and share that
MBP2021 M1 Max 64GB, macOS 14.4, Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Output: UltraStudio 4K Mini, Desktop Video 12.7

Return to DaVinci Resolve 19 Public Beta