Try Beta 19 in a new user account (macOS only)

DaVinci Resolve 19 Public Beta Discussion
  • Author

rsf123

Try Beta 19 in a new user account (macOS only)

PostSat Apr 20, 2024 1:38 am

I wanted to try the new Davinci Resolve 19 beta, but cannot risk damaging the current work in DVR18.

I asked the A.I.
In macOS, when I create a new user account, will software apps installed on the new user account be sandboxed away from the activities of the main user account? I want to try some beta versions of software that is currently running on the main user account, and do not want to corrupt files and databases on the main user account.

The A.I replied:
In macOS, each user account has its own sandboxed environment. This means that software installed on a new user account will not have access to the files and data of the main user account, providing an additional layer of protection. So, you can safely try beta versions of software on the new user account without affecting the main one.

I asked the A.I.
When using a second user account in macOS that is separate to the main account, is there any risk whatsoever that installing a beta version of an app in the second user account could somehow adversely affect the main user account?

The A.I. replied:
Installing a beta version of an app in a separate user account on macOS typically doesn't affect the main user account, as each account operates in its own sandboxed environment. However, if the beta version has a major bug, it could potentially impact system-wide settings or shared resources, like files in a shared directory.

In macOS, each user account has its own home directory, which is not shared with other user accounts by default. However, there are some system-wide and shared resources, like the system's core frameworks and libraries, application support directories, or the system-wide cache. If a beta version of an app has a bug that affects these shared resources, it could potentially impact the overall system, regardless of whether there are shared user directories or not.

Does this sound correct? All the people I've heard reviewing Davinci 19 have emphasised making backups, and not using DVR 19 for professional work. But no one seems to mention this option of trying DVR 19 on a fresh user account in macOS.

Uli Plank

Re: Try Beta 19 in a new user account (macOS only)

PostSat Apr 20, 2024 5:38 am

That's crap. Sorry, AI, didn't intend to insult you, but next time check your sources.
To play it safe, make a separate boot storage and install 19 there. Very easy with MacOS.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Return to DaVinci Resolve 19 Public Beta