Track Targets Auto or Manual ignored

DaVinci Resolve 19 Public Beta Discussion
  • Author

steve oakley

Track Targets Auto or Manual ignored

PostWed Apr 24, 2024 11:22 pm

This bug is ongoing -
R 19b1

I have a very vertical TL - 22 video tracks, 16 audio tracks of various formats.

I want to insert via D&D a clip into video track 20. under no combination of auto track targets on or off ( only enabled on 1-4 was last try ) , red block track targets / Indicators can I drag a clip with video into V20 and audio into tracks A1-4. Clips are set as 4 mono tracks, tracks 1-6 in TL are mono. instead R insists on ingoring all user track targets and creates 4 new audio tracks 16-20. NO NO NO !!!!! stop doing that !!!!!!

Its just maddening that I can target audio tracks correctly via ANY MEANS except locking all the audio tracks I want to stay put, and then after the edit(s) disable all those track locks

R badly needs simple, reliable, consistent track targeting that actually works every time and doesn't require workarounds like moving the inserted audio into the correct tracks, and patching up the damage. The targeting of V and A should be absolute - if I want V in track 20 and I want A I n 1-4 then thats what I should get. This automatic shifting of A tracks is madness on every level. Just insert into the tracks I have set. Same for copy and paste of clips with audio from different TL's. the only save move is to paste into an empty TL section, move the clip parts to the right tracks manually, then drag the clip where it should go.

S
S
mac Studio Ultra 128gb OS 13.5+
TB3 ext 1TB SSD Cache, 1TB SSD Sys
4K 27Dell
Presonus Quantum 2626 TB3 Word clocked 96K
MiniPanel via enet
Behinger Xtouch USB via USB3 Hub->PCIe USB3X4 card
Wacom XL Pro

Jim Simon

Re: Track Targets Auto or Manual ignored

PostThu Apr 25, 2024 3:28 pm

Don't Drag and Drop. That will ignore Track Destination Selection.

Instead, use Insert or Overwrite.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

steve oakley

PostThu Apr 25, 2024 5:54 pm

Jim Simon wrote:Don't Drag and Drop. That will ignore Track Destination Selection.

Instead, use Insert or Overwrite.

working that way requires a lot of extra steps. its not productive. its also too easy to stomp on another clip, or unintentionally cause other things to happen like clips in other tracks being cut, put out of sync, etc. it may take several tries to have the right combo of settings to get the edit right. or you should be able to D&D a clip into place using track targets in one simple move. My Tl's are super complicated with lots of layers & audio tracks. All those layers are visible, its not the topmost thing is the only thing visible. I"m on ver 3 of this now.
Attachments
8k timeline with 3 screens.png
8k timeline with 3 screens.png (666.46 KiB) Viewed 264 times
S
mac Studio Ultra 128gb OS 13.5+
TB3 ext 1TB SSD Cache, 1TB SSD Sys
4K 27Dell
Presonus Quantum 2626 TB3 Word clocked 96K
MiniPanel via enet
Behinger Xtouch USB via USB3 Hub->PCIe USB3X4 card
Wacom XL Pro

Peter Cave

PostThu Apr 25, 2024 11:26 pm

Resolve adding unwanted audio tracks from a source clip with multichannel audio is the main reason I still have not moved to Resolve for editing.
The whole timeline track targeting system needs a complete rethink. It's the clumsiest of any editing app I have used in the last 20 years!
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Jim Simon

PostFri Apr 26, 2024 10:14 pm

steve oakley wrote:working that way requires a lot of extra steps.
Perhaps.

But it works. ;)
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Return to DaVinci Resolve 19 Public Beta