Focus demand issues

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

xtreaming

Focus demand issues

PostSun Nov 26, 2023 10:12 pm

Hello,

I have a BMD focus demand connected to Studio 4k Pro, and sometimes it has an erratic behavior, that when I touch the demand the focus change abruptly and gets the image not focused.

I tested with both Panasonic PZ lens and both have the same behavior

The camera was updated to the last firmware version

emccluskie

Re: Focus demand issues

PostWed Apr 10, 2024 1:09 pm

I am experiencing a similar problem after updating my camera software to 8.2, and have some more information.

I've used my Studio Pro 4k cameras (I have 4) for four years now without issue. I have the Panasonic Lumix 45-175 Power Zoom lens, as well as the 14-42 Power Zoom lens. I decided to update the camera software, and then began to notice focus problems with Focus Demand.

I would zoom into a subject, focus and the pull out, and then re-focus. The camera would immediately jump to an out-of-focus state, and the Demand Focus wheel would not make a change until I spun the wheel fully-counter clockwise, or pushed F2 auto focus. It would then resume working for a bit.

I spent most of a day with BM Support, and we found that if I installed Camera Software 7.9, the problem went away. (Note: Installing an older version was a bit scary... the first attempt failed, leaving the camera in an useable state, and then the second attempt also failed, but the camera restarted with the new software working).

BM Support says that there have been no other complaints, and wants me to send my camera and Focus Demand in for evaluation... they are out of warranty and I am in Canada, so that is and expensive and time-consuming process.

But it seems to me that the gear is working fine. I can replicate this on a second identical camera setup.

Has anyone else experienced this problem with 8.2 (or newer) camera softwarea and solved it?

Return to Live Production