Hyperdeck 8.4 Firmware - Cache?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

davepusey

Hyperdeck 8.4 Firmware - Cache?

PostTue Apr 23, 2024 2:03 pm

Anyone know anything about the "cache" that was added in the new 8.4 firmware. I have a "Hyperdeck Studio 4K Pro" which now shows a new "No Cache" text on the monitoring output. The updated manual says "For HyperDeck Studio 4K Pro models with optional cache you can choose to turn the cache on
or off via the record menu.". Looking in the device's menu it is greyed out, so presumably I need to install a cache disk first. There is no obvious slot or access panel for it, so presumably this is an internal lid-off job?

adrumsolo4u

Re: Hyperdeck 8.4 Firmware - Cache?

PostTue Apr 23, 2024 8:35 pm

davepusey wrote:Anyone know anything about the "cache" that was added in the new 8.4 firmware. I have a "Hyperdeck Studio 4K Pro" which now shows a new "No Cache" text on the monitoring output. The updated manual says "For HyperDeck Studio 4K Pro models with optional cache you can choose to turn the cache on
or off via the record menu.". Looking in the device's menu it is greyed out, so presumably I need to install a cache disk first. There is no obvious slot or access panel for it, so presumably this is an internal lid-off job?

I am probably wrong, but isn't it possible that the "cache" would be any local media if you're using a NAS as your main storage? In other words, if the network gets bogged down for whatever reason, it uses SD cards as a cache. I'd love to find out, as I'm a bit leary about recording directly to my Resolve server without a backup.

davepusey

PostTue Apr 23, 2024 9:50 pm

I've since discovered via a Discord server I am on, that there is infact an internal NVMe slot on the unit's mainboard. You need to remove the lid to access it. You can apparantly record directly to it when there is no other media present in the front of the unit.

adrumsolo4u

PostTue Apr 23, 2024 10:03 pm

davepusey wrote:I've since discovered via a Discord server I am on, that there is infact an internal NVMe slot on the unit's mainboard. You need to remove the lid to access it. You can apparantly record directly to it when there is no other media present in the front of the unit.

Why would that not be documented? Did it say what specs the NVMe can have? Many NVMe drives can store faster than an SD card, so I wouldn't have had to buy Pro Grade SD cards, which cost an arm and a leg.

davepusey

PostTue Apr 23, 2024 10:15 pm

I've not found any documentation yet on compatibility.

And to be clear, this was another user who was equally curious and decided to pop the lid off their unit to find out.

Howard Roll

PostTue Apr 23, 2024 10:23 pm

The 4K was only upgraded to use the Cache a couple weeks ago, still the manual is dated April '24, don't know why there's basically zero mention of cache . The approved drive list (for 8K) is hiding on the tech specs page for the hyper deck extreme, this manual also has more information on the cache disk.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/faq/59027

Good Luck

adrumsolo4u

PostTue Apr 23, 2024 10:27 pm

Howard Roll wrote:The 4K was only upgraded to use the Cache a couple weeks ago, still the manual is dated April '24, don't know why there's basically zero mention of cache . The approved drive list (for 8K) is hiding on the tech specs page for the hyper deck extreme, this manual also has more information on the cache disk.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/faq/59027

Good Luck

If you look in the manual in the communication protocol section (HyperDeck Manual, April 2024), there are tons of mentions of the cache, where you can get the status of it, whether recording to cache is enabled, etc. No mention of the fact that the cache is actually an NVMe slot. hah

Howard Roll

PostWed Apr 24, 2024 12:54 am

adrumsolo4u wrote:If you look in the manual in the communication protocol section (HyperDeck Manual, April 2024), there are tons of mentions of the cache

And if you rearrange the letters in the manual the word cache can be spelled 1698 times. Point being is that there's basically no information about location, type, function, etc., The Rest API is neat but it doesn't give any information RE: cache outside of the control protocols which are the same for all machines.

Good Luck

davepusey

PostWed Apr 24, 2024 3:07 pm

Doug of DJP has done a video on it...

Return to Live Production