Setup Help:ISO recording w/ hyperdecks and ATEM mini

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

chrisblum

Setup Help:ISO recording w/ hyperdecks and ATEM mini

PostMon Feb 12, 2024 10:53 pm

After spending too much time manually recording multiple cameras and a lot of post editing work, I'm looking to update my setup. I want to record 3-4 cameras in 4K, have some camera/source switching live with an ATEM, but also save those cuts into a davinci resolve project file.

I was looking at getting four Hyperdeck Studio HD Plus to record in 4K/30, but from what I could find on this forum, and searching around is that the only way to get the live cuts saved is to also record them through an ATEM Mini Pro ISO, and then somehow swap out the Mini's source recordings with the higher quality files from the hyperdecks. I'm just learning resolve coming over from Premiere Pro, so the workflow is a bit new to me.

Is there any other way to accomplish this with different hardware, or is this currently the best blackmagic way of getting a pre edited (tweaked later) multicam ISO recording in 4k?

Thank you for the help!

Larry Masters

Re: Setup Help:ISO recording w/ hyperdecks and ATEM mini

PostWed Apr 24, 2024 10:50 pm

I am also looking for a way to do this.

eMilty

PostThu Apr 25, 2024 11:35 am

Problem though is that there is no ATEM Mini ISO that supports 4K. In fact, there's no ATEM that supports 4K that also supports ISO recording and Resolve projects. Maybe.. maybe, the ATEM Television Studio 4K8 also creates a Resolve project along with the master recording?? But I don't think so as it has no individual recordings to refer to.

For the time being I think your best option is to continue with in camera recording. If the camera's support 4K they will most likely also support a good high quality codec for it. And output on HD resolution on the HDMI or SDI out of the camera to an ATEM Mini ISO model for live switching and ISO recording and the Resolve project. Otherwise you would need extra converters to convert 4K to HD.

Howard Roll

PostThu Apr 25, 2024 11:53 am

Easy, record the 4k line cut and use it with the isos as a multicam source. Alternately you can create an EDL but it requires a few more steps.

https://ianmorrish.wordpress.com/2019/0 ... -atem-mix/

Good Luck

adrumsolo4u

PostThu Apr 25, 2024 4:49 pm

chrisblum wrote:After spending too much time manually recording multiple cameras and a lot of post editing work, I'm looking to update my setup. I want to record 3-4 cameras in 4K, have some camera/source switching live with an ATEM, but also save those cuts into a davinci resolve project file.

I was looking at getting four Hyperdeck Studio HD Plus to record in 4K/30, but from what I could find on this forum, and searching around is that the only way to get the live cuts saved is to also record them through an ATEM Mini Pro ISO, and then somehow swap out the Mini's source recordings with the higher quality files from the hyperdecks. I'm just learning resolve coming over from Premiere Pro, so the workflow is a bit new to me.

Is there any other way to accomplish this with different hardware, or is this currently the best blackmagic way of getting a pre edited (tweaked later) multicam ISO recording in 4k?

Thank you for the help!

Larry Masters wrote:I am also looking for a way to do this.

The older model "Blackmagic HyperDeck Studio Mini" not the HD mini, but the older mini can record up to 4K30. It has REF in and out, which you can use with 3 other minis to sync black reference. They will NOT timecode sync, so you will have to align them in Resolve. It's pretty easy to do that, but not quite the same as having timecode sync. You might also have an issue with frames not exactly lining up if the recorders don't start simultaneously.

The Hyperdeck Studio HD Plus has both REF and timecode sync and records up to 4K30. Since it does have timecode synchronization, it's a super easy ten clicks or less in Davinci Resolve to create a multicam clip and then sync the four video recordings by timecode. Just make sure you daisy-chain the four units together for REF and Timecode, using one of them as the Master clock.

Larry Masters

PostFri Apr 26, 2024 2:54 pm

Howard Roll wrote:Easy, record the 4k line cut and use it with the isos as a multicam source. Alternately you can create an EDL but it requires a few more steps.

https://ianmorrish.wordpress.com/2019/0 ... -atem-mix/

Good Luck

Thanks I have seen this but do not have windows setup.

I did find a controller by Baz https://bazcontrollers.com/#_Event_Logger but I have not received any response if he still offers the Event Logger 1 or the newer Event Logger 2 that has "Enhanced version includes Touchscreen, POE, removable SD card, XML etc."

If can get my hands on something like the Event Loggers I think it would be exactly what I am looking for. I could use my HypderDecks to record the 4K feeds and then import an EDL from the logger into DaVinci.

Larry

adrumsolo4u

PostFri Apr 26, 2024 3:51 pm

Larry Masters wrote:Thanks I have seen this but do not have windows setup.

I did find a controller by Baz https://bazcontrollers.com/#_Event_Logger but I have not received any response if he still offers the Event Logger 1 or the newer Event Logger 2 that has "Enhanced version includes Touchscreen, POE, removable SD card, XML etc."

If can get my hands on something like the Event Loggers I think it would be exactly what I am looking for. I could use my HypderDecks to record the 4K feeds and then import an EDL from the logger into DaVinci.

Larry

These loggers are just simple devices that gather standardized switcher-controller ethernet traffic and log your program cuts. There's a free node.js-based GitHub project available that does the same thing, but you can use it for free on your Mac:
https://github.com/FranzWegner/multicam-logger

This free version isn't quite as "polished" as the other versions, but it will get the job done. You will have to pay attention to a few caveats when using this software. Most importantly, the free software only works with cuts, so auto transitions, etc., will not work.

Here's my interesting workaround:
  • Get your 4 HyperDecks, set them up to record all four cams
  • Get an ATEM mini pro iso (you can grab them for about $500 these days)
  • Grab a raspberry Pi 4
  • Load your Pi 4 with CompanionPi, which is a bitfocus companion server running on a raspberry Pi 4
  • Use Companion to mimic your cams 1-4 transitions on whatever switcher you're already using
  • The ATEM mini pro ISO generates a timeline project with all your transitions/cuts ready for you.
  • Drop your 4k recordings from the HypderDecks in place of the ATEM mini ISO 1080P recordings.

Larry Masters

PostFri Apr 26, 2024 4:20 pm

adrumsolo4u wrote:These loggers are just simple devices that gather standardized switcher-controller ethernet traffic and log your program cuts. There's a free node.js-based GitHub project available that does the same thing, but you can use it for free on your Mac:
https://github.com/FranzWegner/multicam-logger

This free version isn't quite as "polished" as the other versions, but it will get the job done. You will have to pay attention to a few caveats when using this software. Most importantly, the free software only works with cuts, so auto transitions, etc., will not work.

Here's my interesting workaround:
  • Get your 4 HyperDecks, set them up to record all four cams
  • Get an ATEM mini pro iso (you can grab them for about $500 these days)
  • Grab a raspberry Pi 4
  • Load your Pi 4 with CompanionPi, which is a bitfocus companion server running on a raspberry Pi 4
  • Use Companion to mimic your cams 1-4 transitions on whatever switcher you're already using
  • The ATEM mini pro ISO generates a timeline project with all your transitions/cuts ready for you.
  • Drop your 4k recordings from the HypderDecks in place of the ATEM mini ISO 1080P recordings.

OK I have the ATEM Mini Extreme SDI that I had been using before upgrading to the 4K stream. I was wondering if this was possible to setup and use the ATEM mini in this way. Would CompanionPi "listen" for the changes from the main ATEM switcher to switch the ATEM mini?

Larry

adrumsolo4u

PostFri Apr 26, 2024 4:37 pm

Larry Masters wrote:OK I have the ATEM Mini Extreme SDI that I had been using before upgrading to the 4K stream. I was wondering if this was possible to setup and use the ATEM mini in this way. Would CompanionPi "listen" for the changes from the main ATEM switcher to switch the ATEM mini?
Larry

Yes, you can set it up to do that. Just make sure that you use Inputs 1-4 on the ATEM extreme so that they match. Or you can use mpb.com, sell them your ATEM mini extreme, and grab the ATEM mini extreme ISO they have for $999 (or a new one), and avoid the Raspberry Pi, companion, and multi-switcher setup. You would just send your cameras 1-4 to the hyperdecks, then use the sdi outs of the hyperdecks to feed the ATEM mini extreme ISO. You don't even need a routing matrix/videohub to get this done.

Personally I love the CompanionPi, and use it for a ton of things, like macros for my switching, macros for audio to my mixer, etc. You don't need to worry about it running on a PC that might crash, as it would be on a standalone Raspberry Pi 4. I just make sure to put the Pi4 on the same power supply as my video monitors/tv's/and audio monitors, so that when I'm done for the day it gets powered off, and a fresh power-up for every production.

adrumsolo4u

PostFri Apr 26, 2024 5:45 pm

Larry Masters wrote:OK I have the ATEM Mini Extreme SDI that I had been using before upgrading to the 4K stream. I was wondering if this was possible to setup and use the ATEM mini in this way. Would CompanionPi "listen" for the changes from the main ATEM switcher to switch the ATEM mini?
Larry

Just to confirm, what switcher are you currently using? The ATEM mini Extreme SDI? Or did you already purchase a 4K switcher, and are looking to add ISO recording?

Larry Masters

PostFri Apr 26, 2024 6:03 pm

adrumsolo4u wrote:Just to confirm, what switcher are you currently using? The ATEM mini Extreme SDI? Or did you already purchase a 4K switcher, and are looking to add ISO recording?

I have the ATEM Mini Extreme ISO SDI. I have purchased a ATEM Constellation 4K 4/ME that will be used with new system I am building

Current equipment is:
4 Studio 6K Pro
4 Studio Converters
ATEM Constellation 4K 4/ME
Web Presenter 4K
3 HyperDeck Extreme 8K HDR (Grant mentioned these are being updated to allow 4 recordings soon)

I got a great deal on the HyperDeck Extreme 8K about 2 days before Grant made that announcement. Adorama had them in their used department rated "E" - Excellent at a price a little more than 1 HyperDeck Studio 4K Pro

I have pre ordered these items
Blackmagic 2110 IP Converter 4x12G PWR
Blackmagic Media Player 10G

adrumsolo4u

PostFri Apr 26, 2024 6:56 pm

Have you looked at Softron's multicam logger?

https://www.softron.tv/products/record/multicam-logger

I haven't bought it, as it's stated to cost more than $2000 for just software, not hardware, but it's much more polished than the free GitHub project, and you can mark bad cuts. Apple OS only. I like that you can select how many input sources you want and give them all names, which will help with the timeline the software generates later on. Their Final Cut Pro X file format will work with Davinci Resolve. However, getting Timecode synchronized with the software seems like an ordeal.

Edit:
They have a Demo mode for their software, so you could check it out, assuming you have a compatible Mac around.

Larry Masters

PostFri Apr 26, 2024 7:11 pm

adrumsolo4u wrote:Have you looked at Softron's multicam logger?

I haven't bought it, as it's stated to cost more than $2000 for just software, not hardware, but it's much more polished than the free GitHub project, and you can mark bad cuts. Apple OS only. I like that you can select how many input sources you want and give them all names, which will help with the timeline the software generates later on. Their Final Cut Pro X file format will work with Davinci Resolve. However, getting Timecode synchronized with the software seems like an ordeal.

Edit:
They have a Demo mode for their software, so you could check it out, assuming you have a compatible Mac around.

I have looked at this and will be downloading the demo. I did talk to the company and it would do what I'm looking for. I like the idea of having a small hardware device to do it though. I've downloaded the SDK manual for the ATEM and will see if I could hack something together using a Raspberry PI. I hadn't thought of this until you mentioned using it with Companion.

Larry

adrumsolo4u

PostFri Apr 26, 2024 7:54 pm

Larry Masters wrote:I have looked at this and will be downloading the demo. I did talk to the company and it would do what I'm looking for. I like the idea of having a small hardware device to do it though. I've downloaded the SDK manual for the ATEM and will see if I could hack something together using a Raspberry PI. I hadn't thought of this until you mentioned using it with Companion.
Larry

There's very little need to mess around with the SDK, as BitFocus Companion already has many connection profiles readily available, including BlackMagic ATEM Switchers. All you need to do is set your two switchers to Static IP addresses, then create the two connections for the switchers. After that, you create triggers that match the program and preview of the Master switcher to the Mini extreme ISO. Then you create listen triggers for cut or auto transitions.

Larry Masters

PostFri Apr 26, 2024 8:09 pm

adrumsolo4u wrote:There's very little need to mess around with the SDK, as BitFocus Companion already has many connection profiles readily available, including BlackMagic ATEM Switchers. All you need to do is set your two switchers to Static IP addresses, then create the two connections for the switchers. After that, you create triggers that match the program and preview of the Master switcher to the Mini extreme ISO. Then you create listen triggers for cut or auto transitions.

Would I need to use a Streamdeck to control the ATEM or would Companion PI be able to work by "listening" for the triggers from main switch to switch it in the ATEM mini?

Larry

adrumsolo4u

PostFri Apr 26, 2024 8:27 pm

Larry Masters wrote:Would I need to use a Streamdeck to control the ATEM or would Companion PI be able to work by "listening" for the triggers from main switch to switch it in the ATEM mini?
Larry

You'd create "triggers" which look at your master switcher, and see what's on preview/program. These triggers, when the test is "true" then cause an "action" to occur. The action would be to cause the Mini Extreme ISO to set the preview/program to the same number as detected by the listener.

For example Listener asks "does master switcher program = cam 1?" if yes then Action: Mini extreme program is set to Cam 1.

No streamdeck is necessary, although I use them to activate my macros.

Larry Masters

PostFri Apr 26, 2024 8:29 pm

adrumsolo4u wrote:You'd create "triggers" which look at your master switcher, and see what's on preview/program. These triggers, when the test is "true" then cause an "action" to occur. The action would be to cause the Mini Extreme ISO to set the preview/program to the same number as detected by the listener.

For example Listener asks "does master switcher program = cam 1?" if yes then Action: Mini extreme program is set to Cam 1.

No streamdeck is necessary, although I use them to activate my macros.

I will give this a run and see how it works. Do you know if there is any delay?

adrumsolo4u

PostSat Apr 27, 2024 1:35 pm

Larry Masters wrote:Do you know if there is any delay?

I use ethernet switches with 10G on every port, with plenty of throughput on the backplane. I never have an issue with network latency, which is probably why I don't have a delay between switches or virtually any companion to device command/status. The only exception is when I set up companion to control Kasa Smart plugs. They work off of wifi and use ESP32 as their "brain" (I believe). There is a slight delay with those, but none with professional production gear. Not even with the HyperDeck Studio Mini, which has a 100 Mb ethernet connection.

Larry Masters

PostSun Apr 28, 2024 5:52 pm

This is what I did to get the ATEM Mini to Match the switching of the Constellation using Companion PI.
It only does hard cuts directly to the program on the mini but it's close to what I was looking for.

Image 4-28-24 at 12.20 PM.jpeg
Image 4-28-24 at 12.20 PM.jpeg (113.93 KiB) Viewed 547 times

Larry

adrumsolo4u

PostMon Apr 29, 2024 8:22 pm

There's a way to do it that lets you do Program cuts, cut transitions, and auto transitions. I can record a short video explaining it if you'd like to know how I did it. Were you able to check out that software? It's not possible for me to use Softron's Multicam Logger since they are Mac OS only.

Larry Masters

PostMon Apr 29, 2024 9:09 pm

adrumsolo4u wrote:There's a way to do it that lets you do Program cuts, cut transitions, and auto transitions. I can record a short video explaining it if you'd like to know how I did it. Were you able to check out that software? It's not possible for me to use Softron's Multicam Logger since they are Mac OS only.

Thank you! I'd like to see how to record the transitions etc.

I've not tried it yet. I did download it though.

Larry

Return to Live Production