PC input @ 1080p

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Petrescu Vlad

PC input @ 1080p

PostWed Jul 23, 2014 4:51 pm

So, i need to connect several PC's to an ATEM 2ME 4K and i need to do it at 1080p@60/59.94/50. Is there any solution for this? I've tried HDMI-to-SDI converter from BMD and it doesnt work, i can only select 1080p@30 on the grafics card driver and even that dont work with the ATEM.

Need some help...

Rob Hargreaves

Re: PC input @ 1080p

PostWed Jul 23, 2014 6:43 pm

Petrescu Vlad

PostWed Jul 23, 2014 7:25 pm

I've used a BMD hdmi to sdi 4k, is this different?

Rob Hargreaves

PostWed Jul 23, 2014 11:22 pm

Petrescu Vlad wrote:I've used a BMD hdmi to sdi 4k, is this different?

Yes it's a scaler as well, did you read the specifications from the link above?
It's worked flawlessly for us on full day multi-room seminar recordings.

Petrescu Vlad

PostThu Jul 24, 2014 6:10 am

Yes, i understand that is a scaler but i dont need any scaling, i just need an 1080p pc source to be "seen" by the ATEM 4k.

Tom_Bassford

PostThu Jul 24, 2014 9:38 am

You "just" need to send the Atem 1080p YUV at the correct framerate (either50p or 59.94p) - if you can do that without a scaler or colourspace converter then it will work. Many people find it hard to make the correct settings from their computer so they use either a scaler like the dac70 or an EDID emulator like the gefen hdmi detective or both these things.

Cheers
Tom

Auto correct errors inserted by iPad using Tapatalk HD
http://www.atemuser.com
if it was easy it wouldn't be called engineering

charliedango

PostThu Jul 24, 2014 8:39 pm

Tom_Bassford wrote:You "just" need to send the Atem 1080p YUV at the correct framerate (either50p or 59.94p) - if you can do that without a scaler or colourspace converter then it will work. Many people find it hard to make the correct settings from their computer so they use either a scaler like the dac70 or an EDID emulator like the gefen hdmi detective or both these things.

Cheers
Tom

Auto correct errors inserted by iPad using Tapatalk HD

I use the gefen HDMI Dectective and it works....until I try to playback video full screen. I'm still working on that one. :geek:

Tom_Bassford

PostThu Jul 24, 2014 9:49 pm

please explain your setup in more detail and i will try and help you.

what kind of computer is is? (manufacturer and model number pls)
how are your screens setup? Are you using extended desktop or clone?
When you say it doesn't work with fullscreen video what happens?
Where did the video files you are trying to play come from?
What software are you using to playback your files?

cheers
tom

Petrescu Vlad

PostThu Jul 24, 2014 9:56 pm

Hi Tom,
First of all, thanks for your time!

So, i've managed to get 1080p@59.94/50 working from a PC source (650GTX Nvidia) to the ATEM 2 ME 4K thru DVI to HDMI cable. Two problems tho:

1. HDMI to HDMI cable doesnt work

2. DVI/HDMI to HDMI cable, miniconverter HDMI-to-SDI 4K from BMD and them ATEM, also doesnt work.

Problem 1 is more of notice for others attempting this on a laptop, it's not going to work, tried it on a HDMI output from a video card and from a laptop, any refresh rate.

Problem 2 is annoying since a need SDI for PC sources. My best guess is that the miniconverter is not up to the task.

Anyone who succeded in converting PC source 1080P and then converted to SDI with BMD minicoverters?

Andrewpanckhurstnz

PostThu Jul 24, 2014 10:14 pm

I am also looking at best solution to have 2 PC's (skype) input into ATEM 2ME 4K via SDI so interested in your situation. We have ATEM on order and deciding what computer/converter setup to buy.

Are you running the latest firmware on the HDMI-to-SDI 4K miniconverter?

thanks, AndrewNZ

JohnBengston

PostThu Jul 24, 2014 10:28 pm

https://media.skype.com/skype-tx/

Not really available YET, but this is going to be your best bet.

Tom_Bassford

PostThu Jul 24, 2014 10:34 pm

Skype TX is probably great if you are the BBC. If you are not then you may want something more affordable!

Really the best affordable solution to get PCs / Macs into the ATEM at 3g rates is the Datavideo DAC-70. It bypasses a whole load of problems which endemic to the BMD gear and lets you input *any* source reliably. If you want to save loads of time and messing about then get the DAC70.

As to the issues with the BMD miniconverters i suspect they are framerate dependent (59.94!=60) I also suspect that colour space will come into play. I don't have access to any of the 4k ATEMs so its hard for me to be more help. I will try to arrange to get one so I can help people with these issues.

But really if you want the simple option then get the DAC70.

cheers
tom

Dmitriy Yegoshin

PostFri Jul 25, 2014 1:05 am

Macbook Pro Retina with Nvidia 650m will output 1080p60 via HDMI so you could try that.

Andrewpanckhurstnz

PostFri Jul 25, 2014 2:35 am

Thanks John it will be interesting to see price and specs of Skype TX when its launched. In the interim Tom I think we will get two DAC-70's. Even if we can get working with a standard converter I think the scaler will be a very useful item to have available.

Petrescu Vlad

PostFri Jul 25, 2014 5:39 am

AndrewNZ, yes, it has the latest update, no luck.

Tom, from the lastest update for BMD miniconverters:

What's new in Converter Utility 4.0.3
Force output to YUV.
Correct orientation of mini switches.
General performance and stability improvements.

The "force output to YUV" was my hope since i also tried 1080p50 just to see something working and avoid the whole 59.94/60 drama thats new to BMD gear as of late. Thanks for the sugestion, i'll get one asap.

Not to be a dick or anything but i would've really appreciated a reply from a BMD engineer or something like that, i think it would have taken them the whole of 2 mins to replicate the setup and come up with a solution if possible. They should at least pay Tom for the time he spent doing what BMD PR should have. Oh well, maybe some other time.

Roger Jennings

PostFri Jul 25, 2014 5:59 pm

I am using the AJA ROI scan converter with region of interest. I just connected it to my ATEM Production Studio 4K to test it's outputs.

These work with the ATEM Production Studio 4K
  • 1080p23.98
  • 1080p24
  • 1080p25
  • 1080p29.97

These do not work with the ATEM Production Studio 4K
  • 1080p50
  • 1080p59.94

While I usually recommend the AJA ROI it will not solve your problem here.
1 x BMD ATEM 1 M/E Production Switcher
1 x BMD ATEM Production Studio 4K
1 x BMD ATEM Studio Converter
1 x BMD SmartView Duo
3 x BMD Camera Converter
1 x Atomos Shogun
3 x Atomos Samurai Blade
1 x PIX-E5
2 x AJA ROI

charliedango

PostSun Jul 27, 2014 7:30 pm

Tom_Bassford wrote:please explain your setup in more detail and i will try and help you.

what kind of computer is is? (manufacturer and model number pls)
how are your screens setup? Are you using extended desktop or clone?
When you say it doesn't work with fullscreen video what happens?
Where did the video files you are trying to play come from?
What software are you using to playback your files?

cheers
tom

Mac Pro 1,1 with ATI Radeon X1900
Main screen is an HDTV running 1080i to match the input of the ATEM. Second display running in clone mode so the operator can see the what is being fed into the switcher.
The display shows up fine. Playback of video from web, quicktime and VLC are all fine, as long as I don't select full screen playback. When I attempt that, the screen tears into multiple horizontal lines that kind of skew from left to right/top to bottom. The effect is the same across all the previously mentioned players. Once this happens, the only way I can get the display to re-sync is to disconnect and reconnect the HDMI cable from the HDMI Detective.

Tom_Bassford

PostSun Jul 27, 2014 8:31 pm

Ok that makes sense i think...

You have one screen running at 1080i and the other at 1080p. I suspect what is going on it that when you run videos full screen the players (or probably the underlying Mac OS display components) attempt to put the displays into Vsync mode to avoid their being tearing on the output. However as one of your screens is interlaced it is effectively running at half the framerate of the other screen (or possibly half the vertical resolution, i'm not completely sure how this works in OSX) either way you have a mismatch and this results in the corruption that you're seeing. Its possible that this would even happen with both screens running in 1080i as the outputs are not framelocked and so there is the possibility of a timing error fault.

My primary suggestion would be to avoid using clone mode. There are a number of different ways you can do this whilst maintaining the preview for your operator. The best solution is to switch to using a better playback software, there is a massive range of playback software for OSX which is designed for live shows and or broadcast playout. If you have some budget to solve this then I would look to
OnTheAir VideoExpress
or Playback Pro
or QLab
or ProPresenter

All of these can be configured to give an onscreen preview and control interface whilst outputting fullscreen video, they are all designed for the task and work well.

If you have no budget then it is possible (if a little tricky) to get VLC to show controls and a small video window on one screen and fullscreen video on the other. I've done it once or twice but i don't really remember what combination of settings i used.

The other option which works quite well if you really *need* the clone type setup is to connect the main output to your ATEM, and send a signal back from the ATEM Aux output for your operator monitor - select the Mac input on the AUX and your operator will always have a preview. This works well (i've done this with rMBPs when we have needed to send both output and presenter screens from keynote via the ATEM, whilst having a local operators monitor. There is a small latency on mouse movements but you get used to it very quickly)

Hopefully one of these ideas will work for you, please let us know what you end up doing :)

cheers
tom

Michael Kunke

PostWed Jul 30, 2014 8:14 pm

So I have a 2 M/E switcher not 4k, is it possible to connect my iPad to it? My video setting on the Atem is 720p

Andrewpanckhurstnz

PostTue Aug 12, 2014 9:18 pm

I have just received our ATEM 2M/E 4k and also two DataVideo DAC-70 converter/scalers.

The DAC-70 units so far have worked brilliantly in scaling and converting a VGA 1366x768 laptop output to a 1920x1080 SDI output for the ATEM. You can quickly select the required output resolution using the dip switches.

We are also getting some BlackMagic converters but I am guessing the DAC-70 will be invaluable in our kit.

Return to Live Production