Prores skipping on HyperDeck Studio Pro 2?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Justin Byers

PostSun Mar 22, 2015 8:08 pm

I purchased the HyperDeck mainly as a playback device for live concerts and would like to use the Prores codec, however it just doesn't seem to want to have smooth playback. I have tested both the Prores and Prores HQ codecs, at 1080p60 and 720p60, however in all cases the video will play back fine for the first ~4 seconds, then start freezing and skipping. This happens in the same spot of the video each time.

My first idea was that the SSDs didn't have the bandwidth to play back the video, but I tested them with Blackmagic's speed test software and they maxed out both the read and write meters at ~450MBps. I am using Premiere CS6 to render out the video for playback on Yosemite. When I rendered out the video in uncompressed Quicktime, the video played back perfectly fine on the HyperDeck. Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this problem?

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

Re: Prores skipping on HyperDeck Studio Pro 2?

PostWed Mar 25, 2015 9:48 pm

You don't mention what SSDs you're using. Could you provide that bit of information so that others could give you some helpful tips?
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

Kimberley West

PostThu Mar 26, 2015 1:09 pm

I had the same problem today trying to playback multiple clips on the Hyperdeck that were exported from Premiere CC. The clips were 1080p25 and they would continue to stutter. We ended up changing the audio of one clip to uncompressed and 24bit (it was on AAC 16bit) and it worked! A good practice I found on another thread was to record something on the Hyperdeck then bring the clip into the NLE and match the settings. Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Justin Byers

PostSun Mar 29, 2015 9:01 pm

Tony Rivera wrote:You don't mention what SSDs you're using. Could you provide that bit of information so that others could give you some helpful tips?

Sorry about that. They are 850 Evo's as they're they only ones I have on hand right now.

Kimberley West wrote:I had the same problem today trying to playback multiple clips on the Hyperdeck that were exported from Premiere CC. The clips were 1080p25 and they would continue to stutter. We ended up changing the audio of one clip to uncompressed and 24bit (it was on AAC 16bit) and it worked! A good practice I found on another thread was to record something on the Hyperdeck then bring the clip into the NLE and match the settings. Hope this helps!

I'll try that and post back with the results. Thanks for letting me know!

Kimberley West

PostMon Mar 30, 2015 11:18 pm

We ended up getting this working for 20 clips. I had the Hyperdeck hooked up to an Atem 1ME so my settings were actually 1080i50 (as the Atem doesn't have a 1080p standard). If you try and match sequence settings Premiere will use the preview settings (mxf or MPEG) so I just turned that option on and then manually changed it back to QuickTime/Prores. Then I changed the audio from AAC 16 bit to uncompressed 24bit and all was good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to Live Production