Video Playback and Graphics

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Tony Esposito

Video Playback and Graphics

PostFri Jan 20, 2017 3:08 am

Still no plans for a real video playback and graphics on the fly inside BM Software for ATEM switchers? I have a system I use but seems to be an item that we should have on professional switchers.

Tom_Bassford

Re: Video Playback and Graphics

PostFri Jan 20, 2017 5:16 am

Err. ?

They have the hyperdeck which is controllable from ATEM for video playback.

Graphics generation is possibly "missing" currently but it's completely normal to use an external system for graphics.

Only prosumer kit such as tricaster attempts to do everything internally. It's not very good at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
http://www.atemuser.com
if it was easy it wouldn't be called engineering

Tony Esposito

PostFri Jan 20, 2017 5:31 am

Video guy at COX Radio here says the hyperdeck is not a good option for this. Plus you are having to create files and add to the drive so not an easy fix if you want to add or take one out. There will be another switcher that will come out like a Tricaster to do this without having to buy an external graphics machine for thousands. Simple DJ software works better then what BM offers.

Thomas Seewald

PostFri Jan 20, 2017 8:02 am

It is normal to use external graphics and playout solutions in a live environment. Maybe give propresenter or CasparCG (free software, developed by swedish television for its own needs) a try.

ATEM Software is "only" a controling Software for the ATEM hardware. So it can't be compared with VJ-Software, which porcesses the whole video-workflow inside one computer. The ATEM istself don't have the technical design to do more than "swiching". But there is a Photoshop-plugin, which allowes to send graphics direct into ATEM mediastore.

If you compare the possibilities of an ATEM with other systems like Tricaster, please compare also the price.

I decided to use a CasparCG for my live-sports-streams. It works like a charm, but needs some preparation and training before use.

The price for this additional PC is less than the difference between ATEM and Tricaster ;-)
thos-berlin - Thomas S e e w a l d

Tom_Bassford

PostSat Jan 21, 2017 7:41 am

There are already loads of alternatives to tricaster...

Look at VMix, livestream studio or the Broadcast Pix product range.

The thing is that blackmagic are not trying to make a one box tv studio. The ATEM is a setup similar in concept to how a large broadcast TV studio works. If you visit a major broadcaster you'll not find them using a one box solution, rather they will have rooms full of kit from different manufacturers all linked together with some kind of automation tool. It's possible to build such a system with blackmagic gear at a fraction of the cost that this traditionally would entail.

Blackmagic are not trying to be tricaster. If you really want a tricaster then buy one, or use one of the many systems which are conceptually similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
http://www.atemuser.com
if it was easy it wouldn't be called engineering

Brian Hancock

PostSat Jan 21, 2017 9:10 pm

did you really just quote the video guy at a radio station?

agreed to everyone else here ... bmd has decided to keep things seperate which is great because yes maybe the hyperdeck solution isn't the greatest but you are only paying for what you need not a do it all box that is average at a lot of things.

as a simple switcher the bmd products do fairly well and with the 3rd party solution that have been created between ipad controls and just macros you can do all sorts of things with "just the switcher"

buy a switcher and whatever playback solution you would like ... as for graphic they have given you a solution with the photoshop export and other ways again is it an elegant solution as a chyron or deko no but you know what its a switcher! not a cg?!?

JohnBengston

PostSun Jan 22, 2017 3:35 pm

+1 to everything said by Tom, Brian, and Thomas.

It's worth mentioning the key difference between all the PC based Box solution and the ATEM. The ATEM is a line-by-line vision mixer, in a fully genlocked world, you'll get zero (okay, well under one frame) of latency through the system. There is no way to do that with a Renderer based solution, as both inputs and outputs and processing is, generally speaking, buffered at the frame level.

So you can add Decklink cards as inputs to a CasparCG and mix those inputs as if your renderer is a mixer, but it's not and there is no possible way to make it one. On the other hand, as all the experienced people on this topic have mentioned, you can add a external renderer or media player to an ATEM, and get everything those devices can offer, as well as "actually having" a vision mixer.

I think it's also worth saying that vMix and Tricaster and all the others, are useful tools and often very impressive bits of software. Well worth investigation if you are happy with a Renderer based workflow.

Thomas Seewald

Delay

PostMon Jan 23, 2017 9:19 am

Software solutions and also Tricaster have really noticeable delays, really more than ATEMs (only one frame in maximum - 2ME two in maximum). Ihis is no problem for livestreaming and recording, but wen displaying the output to a visible video wall.

Sorry, my answer becomes a little bit off-Topic." Video Playback and Graphics" is the original theme.
thos-berlin - Thomas S e e w a l d

Joseph Villegas

PostMon Jan 23, 2017 1:41 pm

Take a look to a software called "Mimolive"

Tony Esposito

PostMon Jan 23, 2017 6:14 pm

Will do thank you on the product that I haven't heard yet. I'm not a fan of Casper but know it's there.

And yes, I understand the argument that it's a switcher and not a CGI machine but it really can not be that much to it especially the way BM is tied into laptops then into the switcher to create such software for us. I'm not large enough to purchase 50k and up graphics machine to use so that's also why we get work, because we can come damn close with our set ups.

Also, yes, the radio stations these days are not what you think. COX here in our market of FL has a full up video production studio for videos on their website and live streaming performances. We handle 2 shows a year for them for outdoor concerts fed to live screens and record approx. 16-20 bands between the 2 of them. Their largest show is 3 cams live, 4th on a jib, and a live interview area we supply it all and throw up live graphics on the fly, plus their video guy also works with us and sets up other markets for them for the video side of things...

Ian Morrish

PostTue Jan 24, 2017 6:49 am

Don't know why you are not a fan of CasparCG. If it is because of the client then there is a better alternative just to manage play lists.
http://cim.works/producten/playout-xpress/#download
IT's ability to have data driven templates and generate key and fill signals to feed into the ATEM for motion graphics rather than just using chroma keying is awesome, and it's free.
Regards,
Ian Morrish
Video Integrated Scripting Environment
(Windows PowerShell with ATEM driver + more)
https://ianmorrish.wordpress.com

dpictMEDIA

PostTue Jan 24, 2017 4:37 pm

Wow, Where did this come from? the link from Ian did not work for me but I found info here:
Sure seems to make Caspar CG a point and click operation now... Very nice.
Aric Mackey

Return to Live Production