Getting audio out of ATEM TVS HD

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Alan_Geering

Getting audio out of ATEM TVS HD

PostTue Mar 28, 2017 10:24 pm

I'm looking to replace an old Kramer switcher in the next weeks and the new ATEM TVS HD looks like a good candidate.

The use case is switching 3 cameras, 2 laptops and a Blu-Ray player to a projector in a Church. The TVS HD seems well capable of this. The one thing it doesn't have that the Kramer has is program audio out (analog).

The laptops and Blu-Ray player audio will need to be routed to the hardware audio mixer. (The cameras are not sending audio).

So I'm guessing if I want to use the TVS HD as an audio follows video switcher I will have to invest in a SDI audio de-embedder.

Unless... is the program audio output on the multiviewer HDMI output? If so I can take analog out from the multiviewer monitor. Does anyone know if there is any audio available on the multiviewer HDMI?

I'm trying not to add extra boxes and complexity. This is a church - with volunteer operators - so the simpler the better.

Also, is there only one mix bus in the TVS HD audio mixer? Is there no option to have a different mix on the AUX SDI out? I create an audio mix for distribution to other rooms (and recording) on the hardware mixer which I'd like to connect to the TVS HD analog audio input for embedding into the AUX feed which will feed the other rooms and recording.

What I need to avoid is a loop. If my hardware audio mixer is sending audio to the TVS HD and the TVS HD is sending audio to the hardware audio mixer then I could end up with a loop.

I know this is maybe not the normal set-up but I'm keen to explore if the new ATEM TVS HD would be a viable option to replace the Kramer.

Reginald Richardson

Re: Getting audio out of ATEM TVS HD

PostWed Mar 29, 2017 1:17 am

What are you using for your Recordings connect to PROGRAM OUT?

I use a Atomos Ninja, to record, it has an Headphones output, that's an option that you can connect a Zoom Audio Recorder to that, and have you audio recordered
VidMedia Solutions
ATEM-TVS | ATEM 1 M/E | BMD Mini-Recorder | BMD Smart Duo | BMD Decklink Mini Recorder | BMD MicroConv SDI to HDMI

Ian Morrish

PostWed Mar 29, 2017 1:33 am

HDMI Multiview includes program audio. I have tested the headphone jack on HDMI connected monitor and it has the AFV audio.
Regards,
Ian Morrish
Video Integrated Scripting Environment
(Windows PowerShell with ATEM driver + more)
https://ianmorrish.wordpress.com

Alan_Geering

PostWed Mar 29, 2017 5:28 am

Thanks Ian for testing that so quickly!

That's one less box to buy. As for inserting the audio from the hardware audio mixer I will just have to after the TVS HD (i.e. on the recorder as Reginald suggests).

Thanks for the assistance.

Xtreemtec

PostFri Mar 31, 2017 3:08 pm

The TVS HD has a Headphone output.. You can get PGM audio on there too.. Or selective monitor a channel from 1 of the sources.

We used this output succesfully with a powered audio monitor set.. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

TylerRiddle

PostTue Apr 04, 2017 4:35 am

The ATEM is not HDCP compliant so hopefully you don't need that for the Blu-ray player.

Kevin Penner

PostMon Jun 05, 2017 10:14 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:The TVS HD has a Headphone output.. You can get PGM audio on there too.. Or selective monitor a channel from 1 of the sources.

We used this output succesfully with a powered audio monitor set.. ;)

I have plugged headphones into the headphone jack on the ATEM TVS HD and could not hear anything. I got PGM audio from the Multi-view HDMI port but don't really want to plug headphones into the TV monitor if I don't have to (I would have to get a headphone extension cord for one thing; also, I was hearing significant distortion of sound coming from TV monitor headphone jack - possibly a problem with the TV, but I don't want to have to buy another TV monitor!).

I thought maybe the headphone jack on the ATEM TVS HD unit was just for tally audio monitoring, but you're saying you DID hear PGM audio through that jack?

Also, when trying to isolate a single audio channel to monitor selectively, the audio buttons under each channel were greyed out in the software control screen. Anyone experienced anything similar?

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jun 06, 2017 10:22 pm

Hello Kevin. There are adjustments for Program vs. Talkback level for the headphones in the menu. You should be able to adjust these to get Program audio in the headset.
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

Richard Haley

PostThu Jun 29, 2017 8:40 pm

Hi, I'm just installing a system to do the same in my church. I'm using programme out for the church Projector, so we can use downstream keys to superimpose notices etc. Using the Aux out to an SDI splitter which then send the AUX output to tv monitors around the building and a recorder, and soon a web streamer.

In terms of audio, as you said, I've had to strip the audio from the programme SDI output before the projector, and add an audio into SDI converter in between the Aux output and the SDI splitter with audio from the Main House PA system. If only the TVS audio input could select what output to send to, rather than both. Would do away with another box!

I've had no joy with any DVD/Blue-Ray player

Would be interested to hear how you are getting on - I'm keen to learn more of this stuff

OCSMedia

PostTue Oct 29, 2019 6:57 pm

In our high school broadcast studio I have 2 lapel mics running into an URSA Mini Pro 4.6K (Channel 1 is set to XLR1-mic and Channel 2 is XLR2-mic). The SDI out of the cam goes into a ATEM Television Studio Pro 4K.

The meters on the camera show levels for Left and Right channels, but the when I plug headphones into the headphone jack of the ATEM I'm only hearing the left channel.

Following this thread, I was expecting to hear Program Audio (both channels I would think) out of the headphones.

Thanks for your help,

Reid

jimmysisco

PostFri Jul 23, 2021 8:35 am

Gary Adams wrote:Hello Kevin. There are adjustments for Program vs. Talkback level for the headphones in the menu. You should be able to adjust these to get Program audio in the headset.

Yes, same thing here! Monitor buttons are greyed out, with ot without headphones plugged in on ATEM TVS Pro 4k. I do not see any setting to change the headphone output fuction. Have you found a solution or awswer?

Return to Live Production