NAB 2017

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

JohnBengston

Re: NAB 2017

PostTue Apr 25, 2017 9:03 pm

Tobias Dieterich wrote:I would like to know what's going on with the Teranex mini IP. It's also listed in Germany on a lot of reseller's webshops...

It's very strange, I've tried to push this on their forum a fair bit recently, and weirdly the Mini-Teranex products page still references "New for NAB 2016", so perhaps they will do another press conference or some other kind of annoucement, or maybe their web-guys just forgot to update the page for NAB 2017.

I think the positive is it's on the cards for release soon, and is a VERY cool addition to BMD's product line!!

Tobias Dieterich

PostWed Apr 26, 2017 4:37 am

The Teranex Mini IP is now listed...
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/teranexmini
Attachments
26-04-2017 06-36-53.png
26-04-2017 06-36-53.png (50.63 KiB) Viewed 6457 times
Tobias Dieterich | T.D. Video Engineering | www.tdvideo.de

video and embedded software engineer
ready for SMPTE ST 2110

JohnBengston

PostWed Apr 26, 2017 4:53 am

Great news, nice one BMD!

John Saunders

PostWed Apr 26, 2017 9:22 pm

Looks like the manual is up for the SDI-IP.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/uk/man ... eo_12G.pdf
John Saunders

Pavel Lavrov

PostWed Apr 26, 2017 9:23 pm

JohnBengston wrote:
Robert Betzner wrote:do you have any documentation or a tutorial how to use JM as a relay to the ATEM?

A BMD Forum member asked me a year ago to make available the "Mock ATEM Server protocol"...

If you keep P.M.-ing me at the beginning of June, I'll have the solution available probably mid-June.

Just saw "ATEM Proxy" by Skaarhoj... not much detail but seems to be working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Pavel L

Tom_Bassford

PostWed Apr 26, 2017 9:36 pm

interesting...
Virtual IP Videohub which can control routing from an existing videohub hardware panel - that is clever and something I wasn't expecting.
I guess the elephant in the room is the cost of high bandwidth 10G ethernet switches.

It's a real shame that they have gone with 12G SDI rather than QuadLink on this box. Had it been quadlink then it would have been possible to do 4 HDSDI routes from each converter, but i guess we have to expect BMD to insist on being on the bleeding edge for a couple of years before they give in and provide products for current standards that people actually use (H265 on the duplicator having just been fixed by allowing h264 via software upgrade being a case in point)
http://www.atemuser.com
if it was easy it wouldn't be called engineering

MambaFiber.com

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 3:24 am

Yep, quad link IO for 4x 1080i sources, and the ability to be a source and destination simultaneously...i'd buy a dozen of a unit with these features...

at this stage a 20x20 IP system would run me $20k...ouch :shock:
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Dave Del Vecchio

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 3:54 am

Even if the Teranex Mini IP had quad link SDI input, would that necessarily mean that each of the links would be individually routable? I would have thought that the quad link input would be treated as a single UHD video stream that's routed to wherever it's going.

Now of course they could support multiple separate SDI inputs in a single unit. And if I understand correctly, Tico supports compression ratios of up to 4:1, so it would theoretically be possible to send up to three 2160p streams (at up to 60fps) over a 10Gb link, or more than a dozen 1080p streams. So perhaps we'll see boxes with more inputs and outputs in the future.

Does anyone know if there are products from other vendors that would be compatible with the Teranex Mini IP? The Tico Alliance (http://www.tico-alliance.org) seems to list quite a few companies that have joined it, but I'm not sure how many of these companies have Tico support in real products that you can actually buy.

Tom_Bassford

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 8:14 am

Obviously they would have to implement the functionality, but not having the connectors present is a bit of a deal breaker!

It's also a shortsighted lack of appreciation of how the rest of the world does 4k too. All the big serious systems are quadlink not 12g - people wanting to move to IP are far more likely to run quadlink than 12g.

It gets *very* expensive when you start looking at the full system cost... $1000 per end (multiplex + IP converter) and the cost of a 10G ethernet infrastructure (minimum of about $2500 for a 16 port switch) so a basic 8x8 router ends up costing $18500. (doing this with copper SDI would need a 32x32 router such as the AJA Kumo 3232 - this costs $3500) The blackmagic IP solution is 5x the cost!!

Phil Hadfield

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 11:01 am

A HDMI/SDI version would be amazing. Also fact that all the units are not centrailsed makes a huge difference.

If the Cameras also get IP incorporaed as an option this could be a very big boom for them. IT depts love IP as they can route this easily and dont have to leave there desks. Just need to setup a VLAN.

Everything could also be different resolutions (but same frame rate) and at the end points doing the processing to desired Resolutions.

Dante support could be very useful.

Raphaël Jacquot

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 11:57 am

Skaarhoj has an atem proxy device

Xtreemtec

PostMon May 01, 2017 11:45 am

Tom_Bassford wrote:It's a real shame that they have gone with 12G SDI rather than QuadLink on this box.

I would not look supprised if they integrate TICO in the other Optical teranex products.. Or into the teranex AV... But that could be a matter of time.. Also i won't be supprised if in the furture there will be a update for this teranex to allow 2 way 12G sdi over fiber with a 12G sfp instead of going the IP route..

So you could connect this box to a Atem talkback converter 4K and have a box to interconnect with the Ursa's on fiber..
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Xtreemtec

PostMon May 01, 2017 11:51 am

Something i really missed in the NAB 2017 release is a new control panel.. (Yes i have seen the TVS HD Pro) But a new panel for all other atem mixers... I really thouged they would release one since they had the Resolve panels out..

Then i found this in the 12G IP teranex manual.. How cool would it be... :D :D
Attachments
atemPanel.png
atemPanel.png (202.18 KiB) Viewed 6201 times
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Denny Smith

PostMon May 01, 2017 3:31 pm

Very cool!
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

lotech

PostTue May 02, 2017 6:46 am

I just spotted the new JLCooper Ion control panel - rack mountable and adorably sized.
http://www.jlcooper.com/_php/product.php?prod=ion

Raphaël Jacquot

PostTue May 02, 2017 3:23 pm

Tom_Bassford wrote:interesting...
I guess the elephant in the room is the cost of high bandwidth 10G ethernet switches.

you can get a 12 ports one from ubiquiti networks for about 500 USD

Raphaël Jacquot

PostTue May 02, 2017 3:28 pm

looking at the ip module, how about proposing a different firmware that would do h.264 / h.265 to various CDN streaming ?

JohnBengston

PostTue May 02, 2017 3:39 pm

Raphaël Jacquot wrote:looking at the ip module, how about proposing a different firmware that would do h.264 / h.265 to various CDN streaming ?

Totally NOT what it is for. That's distribution, it is for production.

Phil Hadfield

PostTue May 02, 2017 3:39 pm

Tico is very much a low Latency Codec. So best for this Industry to use IP.

If they did h.264 /h.265 then it would be time to sell all the shares in Teradek. This is best for Digital Signage Low Bandwidth Situations.

It would be good to have a BMD standalone Encoder. RTMP for Youtube, Facebook Live, ETC Like a Hyperdeck that could be controlled from the ATEM software.

Scott Smith

PostTue May 02, 2017 4:19 pm

This, overall was pretty cool:
I can see that its cool factor is much greater if you are using Blackmagic cameras.

This, so stupid:
Built in media pool graphics storage for 20 RGBA stills.

Come on, guys. Can we please move beyond this 20 image limit crap? Is memory that expensive? This is an area of your product long overdue for an upgrade. You come out with a brand new, and pretty cool switcher, and throw that ridiculous old limit on it of 20 images. So sad.
Scott R Smith
BMD Stuff I use: ATEM 2-M/E, 4 x ATEM PS 4K, Broadcast Videohub, 6 Hyperdeck Pros, 4 Hyperdeck Shuttles, Multidock, Smartscope Duo, Smartview, Intensity Extreme, Decklink Studio, and lots of Miniconverters and Open Gear Converters.

Tom_Bassford

PostTue May 02, 2017 5:17 pm

20 is plenty.

What's annoying is the lack of ability to grab a still from an input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MambaFiber.com

PostTue May 02, 2017 6:54 pm

also annoying...not being able to use this as a control panel when you upgrade to another switcher (4k for instance)

one of the guys at NAB did mention they are working on new control panel models, and they may be released later this year. funny, he forgot to mention swamp land for sale... :lol:
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Xtreemtec

PostTue May 02, 2017 6:58 pm

LOL :lol:

But there are new panels coming.. Allright that sounds good.. I expected it to be released at nab.. But probabbly you will see it at IBC then later this year.. :mrgreen:

I'm totally with Tom on the frame grab function.. This function is in the Teranex full size modules.. So it would be nice if this trickles down in a near software update!!

Zack Pittman

PostWed May 03, 2017 4:04 am

Xtreemtec wrote:
Tom_Bassford wrote:It's a real shame that they have gone with 12G SDI rather than QuadLink on this box.

I would not look supprised if they integrate TICO in the other Optical teranex products.. Or into the teranex AV... But that could be a matter of time.. Also i won't be supprised if in the furture there will be a update for this teranex to allow 2 way 12G sdi over fiber with a 12G sfp instead of going the IP route..

So you could connect this box to a Atem talkback converter 4K and have a box to interconnect with the Ursa's on fiber..

I talked with the sr product development manager, and learned they aren't doing the tico compression in the SFP (like embronix) and the SFP slot is traditional MSA, so I wouldn't expect it to be 12G optical compatible down the road. Although he did mention that he was working on 12g bidirectional over optical.
Also, with shieldrock having a decent bi-di 12g box now that you can throw on a camera easily, and the available SFP's for the ATEM cam converter 4k.... Why wait for BMD to come out with anything. I even found a Chinese manufacture claiming to do 12g sdi SFP's with pathological support. Just ordered 4 for $280...

Zack Pittman

PostWed May 03, 2017 4:07 am

Phil Hadfield wrote:Tico is very much a low Latency Codec. So best for this Industry to use IP.

If they did h.264 /h.265 then it would be time to sell all the shares in Teradek. This is best for Digital Signage Low Bandwidth Situations.

It would be good to have a BMD standalone Encoder. RTMP for Youtube, Facebook Live, ETC Like a Hyperdeck that could be controlled from the ATEM software.

TICO is low latency... Grass Valley is doing it with on 4 lines of delay each in compression and decompression... BMD is at 20 lines each side... How is BMD 5x slower using the same standards?

Raphaël Jacquot

PostWed May 03, 2017 9:57 am

Phil Hadfield wrote:Tico is very much a low Latency Codec. So best for this Industry to use IP.

my point was that BMD could easily build this with the same hardware

JohnBengston

PostWed May 03, 2017 10:14 am

Raphaël Jacquot wrote:my point was that BMD could easily build this with the same hardware

Mate, there is no way you could know that.

H.264/AVC or H.265 compression is a massively CPU intensive process. Decompression is a bit less intensive, but still normally handled with a dedicated bit of silicon it's not the kind of thing that be easily added via a firmware update / new FPGA logic.

My previous comment to you was trying to get across that are you are putting two vastly different use-cases together because they both use the network. This is invalid logic. It may be that BMD release a mini-teranex form-factor H.264/265 device at some point in the future, but I very much doubt it'll be a firmware update to the IP Video solution. It's not even slightly similar!

Raphaël Jacquot

PostWed May 03, 2017 12:22 pm

JohnBengston wrote:
Raphaël Jacquot wrote:my point was that BMD could easily build this with the same hardware

Mate, there is no way you could know that.

H.264/AVC or H.265 compression is a massively CPU intensive process. Decompression is a bit less intensive, but still normally handled with a dedicated bit of silicon it's not the kind of thing that be easily added via a firmware update / new FPGA logic.

My previous comment to you was trying to get across that are you are putting two vastly different use-cases together because they both use the network. This is invalid logic. It may be that BMD release a mini-teranex form-factor H.264/265 device at some point in the future, but I very much doubt it'll be a firmware update to the IP Video solution. It's not even slightly similar!

there is a big fat fpga at the core of all those 1/3 1U rack modules, which IMHO use the same basic architecture (some Xinlinx FPGA with a couple arm cores, probably)
it is probably the same thing in the duplicator 4k which has h.264 and h.265 cores inside...
I suspect it's a matter of putting the lego-firmware-bricks together to spin a new product.

Phil Hadfield

PostWed May 03, 2017 2:56 pm

Raphaël

What you are asking for is a teranex box that can be FW upgraded ad hock. With having all the Connectors on.

IE 4 x HDMI in / out
4 x SDI in /out
10g Network
USB 2/3

Then you can just FW blat what input /output you need with scopes/multiview.

MambaFiber.com

PostWed May 03, 2017 10:34 pm

Symetrix does this with audio/Dante hardware. We have several of these and love them. Needs change. So far all we have needed to do is just design a new audio workflow into the engine and upload ourselves to get a whole new product. Count me in for any product looking in this direction!
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Scott Smith

PostWed May 03, 2017 11:19 pm

Tom_Bassford wrote:20 is plenty.

What's annoying is the lack of ability to grab a still from an input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't mind the frame grab, but 20 is not plenty. You just said that because it rhymes.

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - Bill Gates & Tom Bassford
Scott R Smith
BMD Stuff I use: ATEM 2-M/E, 4 x ATEM PS 4K, Broadcast Videohub, 6 Hyperdeck Pros, 4 Hyperdeck Shuttles, Multidock, Smartscope Duo, Smartview, Intensity Extreme, Decklink Studio, and lots of Miniconverters and Open Gear Converters.
Previous

Return to Live Production