ATEM Television Studio HD

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

dhiraj parmar

ATEM Television Studio HD

PostThu May 11, 2017 6:14 am

Hello,

I am little confuse, ATEM Television Studio Have Microphone Input and Headphone Out, Both Phono Jack Size is different. i want to know Microphone Input Jack Name or Tech. space any one know.

Thanks
Dhiraj

Ian Morrish

Re: ATEM Television Studio HD

PostThu May 11, 2017 6:20 am

It is an aviation standard size for the microphone jack, .206".
I went with one of these adapters but found I still needed some amplification when using a Clearcom type headset.
https://ianmorrish.wordpress.com/2017/03/30/headset-adapter-for-the-tvs-hd/
Last edited by Ian Morrish on Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Ian Morrish
Video Integrated Scripting Environment
(Windows PowerShell with ATEM driver + more)
https://ianmorrish.wordpress.com

dhiraj parmar

PostThu May 11, 2017 6:31 am

Thanks Ian Morrish :)

Joshua Szanto

PostWed May 24, 2017 3:47 am

Thank you Ian Morrish! Many websites erroneously write that the ATEM Television Studio HD microphone input is 1/4" - that's wrong, and I know it because we thought it was 1/4" and had ordered a dozen 1/4" to 3.5mm adapters only to find that the microphone input is slightly smaller than 1/4" but bigger than 3.5mm. :(

I also searched the tech specs on Blackmagic Design's product page and found absolutely nothing on this for the ATEM Television Studio HD. I also searched the entire ATEM manual and did not find any writing that identified the jack size. :'(

Again, thank you Mr. Morrish!

EDIT: also, it's .206", not 2.06" ... 2.06" is quite a bit bigger than 1/4" :P

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostWed May 24, 2017 2:06 pm

The headsets for the ATEM Talkback system are Civilian Aviation Headsets. The microphone is an electret style which is unique to the headset. Adapting other microphones will not work without some circuitry. A standard stereo headset will work for listening only.

Regards,Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

Antonio Spalluto

PostWed May 24, 2017 3:09 pm

Hi all,

I would like to automate the camera switching and the audio mixer settings via ethernet protocol with my live show software.
Does the ATEM offer a web API I can integrate by the ethernet protocol?

Thanks

Ryan Boni

PostFri May 26, 2017 2:24 am

When I first starting having to deal with the Blackmagic headsets, I did a bunch of looking and researching and here is what I found.

The headsets that Blackmagic want you to use are most common to fixed wing aviation-style headsets.

They consist of 2 plugs:

PJ-055 (.25 inch / 6.35mm) - this is a standard 1/4" connector that we all have seen in regular audio gear. It is used for the headphones.

PJ-068 (.206 inch / 5.25mm) - this is the "weird" one to us video people! It is used for the microphone.

Now, in aviation terms they call a 5-pin XLR cable an "Airbus" cable. You can buy a PJs-to-Airbus adapter if you want to use a standard 5-pin XLR headset, but I've not personally tried this so I can't say if any adjustments have to be made to improve volume or clarity, or if the thing would even properly work.

I tried a few types of headsets and, without a doubt, my favorite is the Rugged Radios RA200. They are about $100. Great sound, mic works well, and it has a headphone volume control on the outside of the ear on the headset, like you might see on a set of David Clarks. They have worked great for us - we use them on a couple of Talkback/Studio converters and on our BMD Studio Cameras. (Oddly, I'm using camera converters at every other control room position and for our floor director, strictly for headsets and for carrying program or multi-view to each person - with those I've had good luck with the Yamaha CM500 headsets, though I'm starting to buy some of the Camplex Blackjack PTT adapters so that we can use some of our old collection of regular headsets with the Cam Converters). Maybe someday Blackmagic will realize that productions sometimes have more than just a director and camera operators and create some kind of talkback interface box for the other people on a production!

Of course, the only issue with the RA200 is that is double-muff. I've yet to find a good choice of aviation headset that is single-muff, since I imagine that helicopter and airplane pilots might go deaf if they were only covering one ear!
Public Access Director, Peters Twp Comm TV
Freelance TV Broadcast Camera Op (sometimes Dir, TD, EIC, Video)

ATEM M/E 1, 2 & TVS, Studio & Broadcast Cam, Smartscope/view, Cam Conv, Studio Conv, Talkback Conv, Hyperdecks, Videohub 40x40 & MC

Antonio Spalluto

PostWed May 31, 2017 9:29 am

Hi all,

Do you have any specs about my previous question?

Regards

Antonio Spalluto wrote:Hi all,

I would like to automate the camera switching and the audio mixer settings via ethernet protocol with my live show software.
Does the ATEM offer a web API I can integrate by the ethernet protocol?

Thanks

Ian Morrish

PostThu Jun 01, 2017 6:43 am

There is an API but it is not web friendly.
There are scripting options for Windows that use the API. JustMacros and PowerShell
See https://ianmorrish.wordpress.com/2016/07/09/atem-audio-input-mixer-support-added/ for an example.
Either of these can be used to bridge between the API and another protocol like HTTP Rest or OSC with a bit of work.
Regards,
Ian Morrish

Ian Morrish

PostSun Jun 04, 2017 7:49 am

To adapt a clearcom headset, I used this simple circuit.
http://darrenyates.com.au/electronics/archives/16
A small amount of noise but at least that lets camera team know there is a signal and they are used to noisy coms anyway ;-)
https://ianmorrish.wordpress.com/2017/03/30/headset-adapter-for-the-tvs-hd/
Regards,
Ian Morrish

MarekH

PostSun Dec 06, 2020 8:53 pm

I would like to make an adapter. From 3 pin XLR on PJ-068 to Atem Pro HD (microphone only) Does anyone know what the pin connections are? Thank you in advance for your help

Return to Live Production