Powerpoint to ATEM Production Studio 4K Switcher

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Christopher Pino Pupillo

Powerpoint to ATEM Production Studio 4K Switcher

PostWed May 24, 2017 8:00 pm

I am new to live production and could use a little advice. I've got avery low budget non-profit event coming up for which I am renting and using an ATEM Production Studio 4K Switcher for the very first time. I will be feeding live video (1080, 59.94i) from three Canon XA 35 cameras via SDI to the ATEM, along with a Powerpoint presentation from a laptop brought into the ATEM via HDMI. So long as the laptop signal is also set to 59.94i, are there any potentisl problems with the ATEM recognizing the presentation as a source?

I should also not that the ballroom in which the event takes place has an antiquated AV patch bay and projectors which only accept VGA input. I have successfully tested both the camera and laptop inputting through a Kanex Pro HDMI to VGA converter, with signals from both playing on the projectors. However, since I am renting the ATEM I can't test the complete system until the day before the event. Any reason why the HDMI program feed from the ATEM would not work the same through this low-cost convertor?

Jack Fairley

Re: Powerpoint to ATEM Production Studio 4K Switcher

PostWed May 24, 2017 10:27 pm

I believe the HDMI inputs on that switcher will accept progressive signals from computers. I would bring a Decimator MD-HX or two for safety, in case there are issues with the VGA converter or presentation input.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

roger.suski

PostWed May 24, 2017 10:38 pm

Will you be feeding the projectors the powerpoint only, or the mixed signal from the ATEM?

Also, the first gen TVS was rather finicky with HDMI from computers, so the MD-HX may be your lifesaver there.

Also, beware colorspace issues in the HDMI-> VGA MD-HX can help there too

Christopher Pino Pupillo

PostWed May 24, 2017 11:59 pm

Thanks for the replies.

Roger, the program out of the ATEM will be a live switch of PPT and the three cameras. The HDMI>VGA will take place between the HDMI program out of the ATEM and into the VGA port of the facility patch panel. Color quality/fidelity is sadly not a concern for the client. Are you suggesting that the colorspace of the PPT/computer feed into the ATEM via HDMI might play havoc with the ATEM?

Again, this is all new to me and given that I am renting gear, I'm not sure the Decimator is easily rented.

Jack Fairley

PostThu May 25, 2017 6:41 pm

On Windows at least you should be able to select YUV 4:2:2 color space to match the ATEM. If the VGA projector system is expecting 4:4:4 RGB you may have problems there on your output.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Bryan Henry

PostFri Jun 02, 2017 4:40 am

I have that exact switcher, and use the HDMI inputs regularly with direct computer sources. The good news is that the frame rate of the computer does not need to exactly match the system frame rate (i.e., you can run the computer at 60HZ while the ATEM is at 59.94Hz). However, you will need to set the computer output to 1080i to match your system resolution for the cameras.

Now for the bad news. If the ballroom has such an antiquated system, it's quite likely that you will need a more expensive scaler to overcome the limitations of the installed system. With a VGA connector, I would be asking for the projector specs in the system. Its possible it can accept 720p on that connector, however an Decimator MD-HX is digital only, so can't do the digital to analog conversion. The best solution in this case would be a Barco ImagePro HD or ImagePro II, however as a rental, these can be a bit expensive. Other scalers that would also work include the Extron DVS 605 or Analog Way Pulse.

Return to Live Production