Studio Camera Talkback

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

eric_harrison

Studio Camera Talkback

PostSat Feb 18, 2017 5:14 pm

I want to get 2 BMD Studio Camera HD and a ATEM 2M/E Production Switcher and control them over SDI. To do talk back, do I just plug in the headset into the back of my switcher or do I have to get the talk back converter?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

Re: Studio Camera Talkback

PostTue Feb 21, 2017 5:18 pm

Hello Eric. The XLR Talkback I/O on the back of the 2M/E is to interface with 3rd party intercom systems. The easiest thing to do is use the Talkback Converter to communicate.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

Patrick Cody

PostMon Apr 03, 2017 8:39 pm

Hi.

I am planning to purchase 3 Studio HD 2 cameras for a small studio. I need talk back on each camera plus the control room, making for 4 locations total. I have not used SDI for intercom before and I am curious how this works, in terms of signal flow. I will not have a BMD ATEM switcher, and will instead be using my own switcher. That switcher does not have enough open audio inputs to accommodate talk back. Would the ATEM Talk Back converter address that need? How well does it work with switchers other than a Black Magic ATEM switcher?

I am wondering how well the talk back converter would work (if at all) as a router / intercom system if I am not using the ATEM switcher. Are there 3rd party solutions that might be a better fit? And in terms of signal flow, would the SDI first go into the talk back converter and then out to the switcher?

Thanks for any input.

nobleeth

PostMon Jul 17, 2017 12:22 pm

I am looking for a reply on this as well. I will be using my own switcher but need talkback.

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Jul 17, 2017 6:27 pm

You do not need to use an ATEM switcher for talkback. The Blackmagic Talkback converter has everything you need to connect to cameras with a built in base station for the director. Just wire SDI video to and from the camera to the Talkback Converter. There is a video out for each camera that you may connect to your switcher. There is a program in that you may connect from your switcher if you like.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

Return to Live Production