Analog to HD converters

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Prabodh Dasari

Analog to HD converters

PostWed Nov 15, 2017 7:47 am

Currently I am using DataVideo SE 500 switcher, which is allowing me to connect my camcorder and 3CCD Panasonic camera with RCA connections.

I have recently purchased ATEM Television studio along with Web Presenter, which is not detecting camera sources, I guess they are analog video signal.
Please help me in suggesting products to scale my videos to HD from my cameras ?

Thanks
Prabodh

Xtreemtec

Re: Analog to HD converters

PostWed Nov 15, 2017 9:22 am

SE 500 is all composite video inputs.

Converters to go from composite video to HD video (It looks terrible.. You are pixel doubling about 10 times)
But these converters costs about $350
THe Analog to SDI from BMD will only convert your SD signal to SD-SDI. That would work for your atem but still it is SD video. ;)

You really want to look for HD cameras now. Because a HD mixer without HD cameras is still not a system.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Thomas Seewald

PostWed Nov 15, 2017 9:26 am

Cameras with RCA connectors are analog. So to connect them to ATEM, you need analog to SDI or HDMI converters (depending on available inputs at ATEM TVS). I'm not shure, but I think, BM only sells analog to SDI... You can use the ATEM TVS in SD mode, so you would not need to upscale all inputs. But when using ATEM with mixed SD and HD sources, you will need some scalers. I would suggest for Decimator MD HX, because they don't only convert the size, but also between SDI and HDMI....
thos-berlin - Thomas S e e w a l d

Wayne Rutherford

PostWed Nov 15, 2017 1:40 pm

I have the black magic analog to SDI converter $185
It will input from component, composite or s-video.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... tml?sts=pi

Not sure if your cameras are 16:9 or 4:3.
I used it with a Canon A1s that does not have HDMI output.
This was an option to get me over to the ATEM switcher with the older cameras.

Xtreemtec

PostWed Nov 15, 2017 1:54 pm

Wayne Rutherford wrote:I have the black magic analog to SDI converter $185

Yeah you will get HD-SDI 1080i out when you input HD Component. But when you input Composite Video you will get SD-SDI which is still SD. ;)

They bought a HD mixer. They are better off looking for some HD cameras.. As converting those old cameras will not gain any advantages..
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Denny Smith

PostWed Nov 15, 2017 5:48 pm

Other then allowing them to use the old cameras while they update to new ones. Yes, the workflow will still be SD, but some improvement over a pure composite analog system. It wil, depend on if the Panny camera’s have a SVideo or component output, which will give a bette conversion to SD digital outputs for the ATEM.

I did this with Canon XL2s for a PEG station, using SVideo to SDI conversion then to the Tricaster improved the signal from the previous composite feed they were using, BM Analog to SDI converters can be had for $99, so not a bad bandaid until proper HD cameras can be acquired.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Prabodh Dasari

PostThu Nov 16, 2017 5:59 am

Dear All

Thanks for your time and advice. The best way is not work around, but purchase HD cameras.
Can you please advice Budget HD cameras which will serve our church live streaming purpose ?
I am looking at 3 cameras, which should have wired remote option for zoom in and out, I have pan tilt head unit mount to pan the cameras.

Thanks
Prabodh

Prabodh Dasari

PostThu Nov 16, 2017 6:04 am

Thomas Seewald wrote:Cameras with RCA connectors are analog. So to connect them to ATEM, you need analog to SDI or HDMI converters (depending on available inputs at ATEM TVS). I'm not shure, but I think, BM only sells analog to SDI... You can use the ATEM TVS in SD mode, so you would not need to upscale all inputs. But when using ATEM with mixed SD and HD sources, you will need some scalers. I would suggest for Decimator MD HX, because they don't only convert the size, but also between SDI and HDMI....

Thanks Thomas

Wayne Rutherford

PostThu Nov 16, 2017 1:36 pm

You will need to convert HDMI to SDI for longer cable runs (over 15 feet)
I just saw the BM mini converter reduced their price to $55,
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... mi_to.html
We use Sony AX2000 camera at church.

Prabodh Dasari

PostFri Nov 17, 2017 10:13 am

Xtreemtec wrote:
Wayne Rutherford wrote:I have the black magic analog to SDI converter $185

Yeah you will get HD-SDI 1080i out when you input HD Component. But when you input Composite Video you will get SD-SDI which is still SD. ;)

They bought a HD mixer. They are better off looking for some HD cameras.. As converting those old cameras will not gain any advantages..

Dear Daniel...
We have surveyed...and the best HD in our budget with remote commander is Sony HDRCX405.
Purchasing 2 units, does ATEM support the camera ?

https://www.amazon.in/Sony-HDRCX405-Han ... sony+cx405

Xtreemtec

PostFri Nov 17, 2017 12:21 pm

It has HDMI. So it might work if the camera is able to send out 1080i or 720P as output resolution. (not recording resolution!! )

But they are very light unsensitive.. 3 lux at 1/25 shutter is pretty bad. So it will work but you need a lot of light.

Thomas Seewald

PostFri Nov 17, 2017 12:43 pm

Keep in mind, that all ATEM models don't like long HDMI cables at input. For longer distances as 15 feet or 5 m a SDI connection is suggested. In this case, you will need an HDMI to SDI converter. I have some cheep ones from Amazon which works fine, but also the Blackmagic MicroConverters should do the job. BM lowered prices this week to under 50$ per unit. I think, in a few days/weeks, the new prices will arrive at local dealers ;-)
thos-berlin - Thomas S e e w a l d

Prabodh Dasari

PostSat Nov 18, 2017 3:54 am

Thomas Seewald wrote:Keep in mind, that all ATEM models don't like long HDMI cables at input. For longer distances as 15 feet or 5 m a SDI connection is suggested. In this case, you will need an HDMI to SDI converter. I have some cheep ones from Amazon which works fine, but also the Blackmagic MicroConverters should do the job. BM lowered prices this week to under 50$ per unit. I think, in a few days/weeks, the new prices will arrive at local dealers ;-)
Dear thomas...I will use bmd HDMI to sd converter

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Prabodh Dasari

PostSat Nov 18, 2017 3:55 am

Xtreemtec wrote:It has HDMI. So it might work if the camera is able to send out 1080i or 720P as output resolution. (not recording resolution!! )

But they are very light unsensitive.. 3 lux at 1/25 shutter is pretty bad. So it will work but you need a lot of light.
Thanks Daniel

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Return to Live Production