Interfacing a BMD Studio Converter 2 with Clear-Com System

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

ZachLegleiter

Interfacing a BMD Studio Converter 2 with Clear-Com System

PostWed Nov 22, 2017 2:32 am

Hey everyone,

I just purchased a BMD Studio Converter 2 (with 4 Camera Converters) to work in conjuction with our ATEM 2 M/E production switcher for my church. I am curious how to interface our existing Clearcom System with the BMD System.

Our clearcom system is very basic; It’s a 4 channel PL-Pro system (We use channel 1 for cameras/video). I have looked into the Tatical Fiber Systems Clearcom Interface unit - http://tacticalfiber.com/proddetail.php?prod=2BMCCRT242 - and that looks to be exactly what we are looking for.

But my question is this; We have a Clearcom EF-1M 4-wire interface unit sitting in the closet collecting dust. It looks to be exactly the same as the TFS unit, could we use that to get our Clearcom Audio into the BMD System?

Also side note; What do you suggest for headsets for the Camera Converters? Is there a specific impedence we need to use?

Thanks everyone!

MambaFiber.com

Re: Interfacing a BMD Studio Converter 2 with Clear-Com Syst

PostWed Nov 22, 2017 4:28 am

Yes, the tactical fiber brand box *IS* exactly a ClearCom interface with an included VERY expensive adapter cable.

For reference, the EF-1M was replaced by the EF-701M but both units serve the same purpose, to interface a powered bi-directional ClearCom channel to a non-powered separate talk and listen circuit. This is exactly what the Studio Converter needs, well almost-read on.

You will have to get or make your own interface cable and connect the 4W in and out from the EF1M to the mic/headphone connections on the Studio Converter. The studio converter uses AES digital audio instead of the analog audio from the EF1M. You will need an additional converter like the Flying Cow or something to convert the Clearcom analog audio to BMD AES digital audio and vice versa.

The analog audio talk and listen from the EF-1M are available on both the RJ45 and DB-15 connectors on the rear of the unit, use either but not both. Connect the "Audio to party line" to the input of your AES converter, and the AES out to the BNC labeled Mic In on the SC2. The Headphone Out BNC from the SC2 should feed into a reverse AES converter, and the analog output connects to the "Audio from Party Line" on the EF-1M. Lastly, the XLR from the EF-1M connects to your existing ClearCom channel. If all goes well the ClearCom PL will now communicate with the camera converters connected to your SC2.

There are some adjustments required on the EF-1M to achieve optimal intercom performance/quality. Follow the user guide steps for nulling after you get it talking. I'd suggest setting the Send and Receive levels midway to start. Even with the interface adjusted perfectly, I was never happy with the way BMD intercom works/sounds. Good luck.
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

ZachLegleiter

PostWed Nov 22, 2017 4:43 am

The back of the unit has a multi-pin connector with two RCA’s.

Could I not just convert the two RCA’s to the required 0.25” headphone and 0.206” mic connectors that are on the SC2?

How is the clearcom unit any different than the TFS unit (besides the connectors on the end of the DB15 cable)? They look identical... I’m okay with buying the TFS unit, Just trying to save some $$$ if I can.
Attachments
A1BF9EA3-F1C0-43B6-B27F-7A1B2EB91277.jpeg
A1BF9EA3-F1C0-43B6-B27F-7A1B2EB91277.jpeg (632.93 KiB) Viewed 4931 times

ZachLegleiter

PostFri Nov 24, 2017 4:45 am

I got to looking around today and found a Clearcom AC-10H unit. I see that it is also capable of doing 4 wire interface.

Would this unit work as well? I would like to use it if possible? Since it is a rackmountable.

any pros / cons to using either the AC-10H, or the EF-1M unit?

MambaFiber.com

PostSat Nov 25, 2017 11:10 pm

the AC-10H unit is designed to interface a telephone line with a ClearCom channel. I don't think that will be any help to your request.

again, the TFS unit is simply a ClearCom EF-701M with their brand stickers on it. on closer inspection, their interface cable does appear to have the 1/4" and .206 connectors on it.

You can convert your RCA connectors to ones to match the front of the SC2, but you will need to pad down the output going into the mic connector or it will be terribly distorted talking to the cameras. The EF unit is line level out, the SC2 needs mic level in, which is about 40-50db less level. a couple of resistors ought to be all you need to reduce the level. Wondering if there will be an impedance mismatch, or if it will even enough to worry about after the level is reduced.
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Denny Smith

PostSun Nov 26, 2017 2:34 am

Yiu could always use either an active or passive DBix to pad down and match impedance between a Mic input and Line level output. An active one would do a better job, with its preamp.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

ZachLegleiter

PostSun Nov 26, 2017 6:45 am

Any advantage / disadvantage to using the XLR mic input on the front of the unit? Rather than the 0.206”?

Could I use a Shure A15LA? It’s a Line to Mic adapter that provides 50dB of pad.

Thanks again for your insight... I will be back home (currently on vacation) on Tuesday, and I will start testing everything out.

Denny Smith

PostSun Nov 26, 2017 6:52 pm

Yep, that is an example of one of the passive adapters I was referring to. I have used them very successfully when other options were not available.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

ZachLegleiter

PostWed Nov 29, 2017 1:42 am

Not to change subjects here....

Anybody have any good suggestions for headsets for the camera converters? I have seen alot of people suggesting gaming heasets, while I’m sure these will work I am looking for something a little more “professional” looking. We will be using the camera converters in fairly loud enviroments, we are really only looking for good clear, clean, loud audio from the director. The camera ops rarely talk while we are on the air, so the mic quality is not mission critical.

Is it true that only 32 ohm headsets will work with the camera converters?

Xtreemtec

PostFri Dec 01, 2017 1:17 pm

Yes thats true.. Only 16/32 ohm..

You could take your high end headsets and strip out the high end airpieces and put in earpieces of a simple gaming headset.

The problem is that the headphone driver of the camera converters and also in the Ursa and micro studio camera series do not have the power to drive proffesional headsets.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

ZachLegleiter

PostMon Dec 04, 2017 11:44 pm

How about the Datavideo HP-1 as an option for the headsets?

http://www.datavideo.com/us/product/HP-1

Thoughts?

Xtreemtec

PostTue Dec 05, 2017 9:33 am

Might work.. But it does not have the push button in line to open your talkback channel on the camera..

These are only seen on phone headsets were inline a small mic and push button is to open and close the line.. You have to tap the button twice rappidly to open the com channel on the ursa and micro studio cams.. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

ZachLegleiter

PostFri Dec 08, 2017 5:36 pm

Do you need the pushbutton? Can't you just tap the PTT on the camera converter?

Or because it doesn't have a split mic/headphone cable you need a mic on off switch? (this headset has a single 3.5mm plug like iPhone headphones)

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Dec 08, 2017 6:14 pm

The Camera Converter has a PTT as indicated so no extra button is needed. The Camera converter has both separate Mic and Headset jacks and the Headset jack is a 4 pin style which will work with iPhone style headsets. The URSA Mini (Pro) needs a separate switch or you can program one of the Function keys to PTT. This camera needs an iPhone style headset as it is a 4 pin jack.

Hope this helps. Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

ZachLegleiter

PostSat Dec 09, 2017 5:04 am

Gary Adams wrote:The Camera Converter has a PTT as indicated so no extra button is needed. The Camera converter has both separate Mic and Headset jacks and the Headset jack is a 4 pin style which will work with iPhone style headsets. The URSA Mini (Pro) needs a separate switch or you can program one of the Function keys to PTT. This camera needs an iPhone style headset as it is a 4 pin jack.

Hope this helps. Regards, Gary

Gary; is it possible to use the 24ohm Datavideo hp series headsets? They have the 4 pin TRRS style 3.5mm jack.

http://www.datavideo.com/us/product/HP-1
http://www.datavideo.com/us/product/HP-2A

Also a quick note for everyone, i got the Clearcom unit set-up and is functional between the clearcom system and the studio converter, all I need now is headsets!

We use 3 “hard” cameras and 1 handheld camera, so if the Datavideo headsets will work we will be ordering 3 of the HP-2A (dual-muff) headsets, and 1 HP-1 (single-muff) headset.

Thank you again to everyone for your insight!

Rey Kroona

PostThu Feb 15, 2018 12:34 am

Hey Zach,
I know this is a slightly old post, but we are in a very similar situation as you and I've been searching everywhere to figure out a headset solution I like. Did you find anything?

The closest thing I found was to get something like the Headset Buddy ClearMic and the MonoPrice Pro Studio Headphones (sorry I can't post URLs for some reason). Essentially it allows you to add a mic/volume control to headphones that the wire can unplug from the headset.

I haven't bought them yet but unless others have found something better I might give it a shot.

-Rey

Return to Live Production