Hyperdeck Studio Mini records only black (or red) video

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Evan Logan

Hyperdeck Studio Mini records only black (or red) video

PostWed Jul 05, 2017 3:28 pm

I've been recording a 1080i 59.94 signal via SDI on the Hyperdeck Studio Mini on two occasions now. The recordings on the SD card seem to only contain black video with correct audio. When importing into Premiere Pro, the video displays as solid red, with audio. The input is visible on the display while recording and everything appears normal. I have an identical Hyperdeck next to this one that records a different signal, but is recording correctly.

Does anyone have any experience along these lines?

wilDiaz

Re: Hyperdeck Studio Mini records only black (or red) video

PostWed Jul 05, 2017 7:02 pm

We have been having the same issues across multiple HyperDecks recording at the same settings. We contacted BM and they mentioned that they were not aware of the issue, and would do some tests to try recreating the issue. Waiting on a solution.

Are you running the latest firmware?

GreyParker

PostThu Jul 06, 2017 9:46 pm

We had encountered the black with audio issue several times but only recently wound up with red footage.

Our signal flow was Studio 4K into ATEM Television HD switcher into Hyper Deck. Both monitors on the ATEM and the Hyper Deck showed proper signal and it was only when we brought the fottage to post that we found the issue.

Strangely, this seems to have occurred at the precise moment one of y run and gun shooters was facing the Studio 4K from a distance and fired his on-camera rig LED.

We are going to try and duplicate the error in our shop tomorrow.

Evan Logan

PostFri Jul 07, 2017 5:44 pm

Yes, please reply with your results. That sounds like an interesting cause and probably not the reason for us since it's happened on multiple occasions.

MikeWhittaker

PostSat Jul 15, 2017 9:04 am

We have just had the same issue.

We have the new BM TVStudio HD with the mini recorder, first time using the mixer. Signal path is all SDI 1080 50i.

What is strange is the first record we did worked fine but then every subsequent record after failed. Even though the signal was all fine as we put the loop through out the record to one of ours duo monitors for the precise reason to monitor it.

Travis Wurges

PostSat Aug 26, 2017 12:40 am

Have you guys had any success solving this issue? We're seeing it intermittently across several Minis we're about to deploy on campus.

We've seen it while recording 1080p30 and 1080p30 from both a Panasonic HE40 and a Micro Cinema Camera, direct and through a Crestron DMPS-300 switcher.

There doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason as to when it records ok and when we just get black with audio. As everyone else reported, we see the correct imaged on the preview monitor and the HDMI output while recording.

I don't see any firmware updates posted since you guys initially reported this.
Video Producer - Yale School of Music
http://music.yale.edu/mp

Weston Woodbury

PostThu Nov 16, 2017 12:54 am

:? Darn, same issue here.

Yup Travis, no firmware updates since April, this is the first thing I checked. Sure seems like it's due for an update.

We have been using the Hyperdeck Mini with an 2 M/E Atem as a backup record (thankfully!). 1080p23.976. We recorded an entire week's worth of full day multicams 2 weeks ago, with zero issues. Formatted the cards, have been doing the same thing/same codecs/same cards/IO connections/etc this week, and I discovered today that they aren't working and are playing back as just black video with audio. There's picture showing when it's recording, so it's pretty strange.. the input is there, it's happening with the encode or MOV finalization or something.

Same deal as others here, black in VLC/etc, I drop them into Premiere and it's like a red solid. I loop a HDMI out of the Mini too (using it as a cross converter from SDI in essentially), and that monitor has been displaying some funky stuff randomly while other times it looks fine; maybe this has to do with it or at least is an indication of when the issue happens.

We've been using ProRes Proxy, OSX Extended for the settings. I'm going to change it to DNxHD mxf tomorrow and see if that helps anything.

Will report back, and LMK if any of ya have had other ideas/clues as to the cause.

:mrgreen: ww

sfmdigital

PostSun Nov 19, 2017 12:12 am

I have a new hyper deck mini and its recording the SDI output from the new TV studio HD mixer.
1st test recording fine, then when we recorded the programme at 90 mins duration we only got black video with audio. Seems to me that this deck is a real waste of time if it does not record video!!
I powered the device down and it seems to record OK for a short while - i.e. test clips but gives up when recording an entire programme.
When I look at the video file on my Mac using Quicktime player it displays a green video field although the odd test clip when it records OK looks fine. I am not happy as we used this to record without backup for part of the session today and have lost the media - once we found out it was doing this we backed up with a video assist which was fine. From all the posts I am seeing about this I am thinking buying this deck was a mistake esp as there is no firmware update to fix the problem. If the vid assist can work fine then why cant this? Both seeing the same media........I also bought the recommended SD cards for this and none of them work correctly....

Travis Wurges

PostSun Nov 19, 2017 12:38 am

I strongly suggest avoiding use of this product until a fix is found and released.

I've spoken to BM support on the phone several times, and we're going to send one of our units to them to to look at in their lab. However, last time I spoke to them they "had received no other reports" of this issue. At the time I spoke them, there were several comments on the two form threads about this, and sent them the links. So if you're having trouble please call their support line: (408) 954-0500. Maybe if we all keep pressing this issue in numbers they'll admit/find/fix the issue and work towards regaining trust.

After experiencing this problem across our of units since August, we're finally removing and replacing our 9 units on Monday with solid but inferior products. This is going to be very costly for us, and embarrassing, increasing volume of lost recordings has become too much to handle.

We have tried several approved cards, different frame rates, different codecs. Once we had a file that would play in VLC, and was a corrupted file, but that was an anomaly.

This is a phenomenal product when it works! (Just missing H264 recording option for our use). But, we have lost all faith in it at this point. And, lots of credibility with our students and faculty...

other thread: https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=64802

roger.suski

PostSun Nov 19, 2017 3:00 am

For those of you having trouble....

Does the footage play back at all when played within the HSMini?

Does it matter if you format in exFAT?

Are you sending reference to any of the units?

Have you changed the number of audio channels being recorded? For ATEM out, you'd only need two.

All of the reports of issue seem to reference video in the 1.5G standard (nothing above 1080p30)

Are all reports of no video in playback only on Mac computers?

Travis Wurges

PostSun Nov 19, 2017 3:40 am

Good questions, Roger.

1: We first noticed the problem during playback within the unit when doing a record check. When issue is occuring, it doesn't show on built-in screen or through HDMI out during playback, despite both showing image during recording. This problem is sporadic, and typically requires several power cycleds to record correctly. It will then be ok for a few times, but the issue returns. Sometimes it's 10+ times, sometimes it's only after 3 or so. We've not been able to detect any pattern among any of the units, or even within a unit.

2: We use exFAT.

3: No reference. We're mainmy using standalone in classrooms, and a few "portable" situations.

4: We're recording 2 channels because we're only embedding stereo.

5: We have had issue in both 29.97 (main) and 60 (just used for troubleshooting this issue).

6: We have only used Macs. As mentioned above, it doesn't playback in recorder or an other unit.

sfmdigital

PostSun Nov 19, 2017 7:58 am

Hi Travis,

we've tried ref inputs, changed codecs, changed no of audio channels and are using recommended SD cards.
None of this makes any difference. The only time we can get it working is after power cycling a few times and then there is no guarantee that it works when needed.
The image always displays on the monitor but 90% of the time plays back black video along with the correct audio. On the Mac it displays as a green screen.
We are recording 50i (as this is what we push out from the mixer).
To be honest, as its failed us so many times now I am sending it back and will buy something else. We were looking to purchase a number of these for multichannel and ISO records but this is way too stressful especially always requiring a back up recording.
I also don't understand why BM say they are not aware of the issues when there are so many posts on the problem!
Dave

David Peddicord

PostSun Nov 19, 2017 8:55 pm

sfmdigital wrote:I also don't understand why BM say they are not aware of the issues when there are so many posts on the problem!

Reminds me of way back when I serviced VCR's (remember those?). Teac got into the VCR business and I became an authorized warranty servicer.

Soon these units would come in with the same problem. Soon I had a dozen stacked all with the same problem.

I contacted Teac and they never heard of the problem!! :o

When I found the issue (bad end-of-tape sensor) I was making some easy money! :mrgreen:

I never heard if Teac ever heard of the problem.

Weston Woodbury

PostTue Nov 21, 2017 8:31 am

Following up as promised...

Sorry to hear of your issues Dave. Ours is working for now, but having it happen at all certainly isn't acceptable in any case.

For those interested and who may come across this, I did the following to our hyperdeck mini which was displaying the ascribed above issue.... for now, it seems to be functioning! Ha. I got through the remainder of the week capturing backup program record and every file worked as expected. We're recording 1080p23.976

- I added reference signal in. It's from the BMD sync generator 'mini' device, set to 1080p 23.976 via the dipswitches, which is also feeding the switcher and various other devices.

- I took the signal (a cable) directly from an output on the ATEM 2 M/E, just to be safe

- I experimented with mxf which seemed to lead to consistent 'flashing red' errors, but ultimately settled on DNxHD MOV 45 which is LQ I know, but fine for our backup purposes. This format has been 100% successful so far without the video encode issue/audio playback only/solid red in Premiere issue. Notably, I was not using an approved SD card, as they hadn't arrived yet. Still, the card was 150MB/s vs the officially approved cards' 95MB/s, and once it works it doesn't tend to have any problems, so I'm tending to believe these issues are not a throughput thing. If I see them happening again on the 300MB/s cards I now have in hand, I guess I'll know for sure.

- I stuck with OSX Extended. ExFAT seemed to also introduce flashing red errors while speeding. re: above SD card note.

- I disconnected the ethernet communication just for fun; previously, it was set up to communicate with the ATEM

- I changed it from 2 channel audio to 16 channel audio, as this is what the main recorder (big brother ssd hyperdeck) records without any option to change it, and that deck hasn't had these file encode issues.

- I disconnected the HDMI output which was cross coverting from the SDI in. Notably, this HDMI signal was sending out horribly incorrect colors at times, while at other times looking fine. Out of everything, I really think this is the likely cause or at least the best clue as to what was going on, and probably an indicator of when the issue starts happening. I also am not using the sdi loop through. Strip it down to the bare minimum

Hope this helps. Hopefully someone from BMD team is watching us and reproducing all this.

cheers,

:geek: ww

*** UPDATE 11/30 ***

We got our certified sd cards in, and all seemed to be going well. However, a couple days into the week of shoots, I popped a card in to check, and the DNxHD mov's were suddenly doing the same thing (black playback, solid red in Premiere). I switched to DNxHD mxf, which now work without drop outs with the 300mb/s cards, and that worked great for a couple more days. Today, The card 1 space rolled onto card 2 mid clip, and it appears that everything AFTER the automatic roll over/split clip between both cards, is corrupt even as a mxf. Premiere just won't open it. The 2nd half of the split clip itself, works.

Maybe this in particular, or something similar where it's not a clean start or stop of a clip, is what triggers the issue. Not sure. No time to test it but I will keep an eye on it for the rest of the week. To reset the Mini to "working" recording condition, I just reset the power and reformatted. Will be sticking with mxf for the time being, and see if we run into the issue again without allowing it to roll over to the next card mid-record.

:cry: ww

Peter Molnar

PostThu Jan 18, 2018 4:51 pm

Hi,

is this problem solved with the latest update?

"What's new in HyperDeck Utility 5.2
Improved FTP transfer speeds for HyperDeck Studio Mini
Fix telnet protocol bugs for HyperDeck Studio models based on developer feedback
Remote selection remembered after power cycle on all HyperDeck Studio models
HyperDeck Studio Mini to boot up in E to E
Fix rare bug on HyperDeck Studio Mini where recording may be corrupted
General performance and stability updates"

I would like to buy this product but if this is still a problem, I will look for another.

Thanks,
Peter
Peter Molnar
malom multimedia

Weston Woodbury

PostFri Jan 19, 2018 3:18 am

Interesting, I missed this update release, thanks Peter.

I can install and test it thoroughly in 2w (week of Jan 29th). Will report back

Peter Molnar

PostFri Jan 19, 2018 12:24 pm

Weston Woodbury wrote:Interesting, I missed this update release, thanks Peter.

I can install and test it thoroughly in 2w (week of Jan 29th). Will report back

Thanks Weston!
I would prefer to buy this product because it's form factor rather than the big one. Which I believe doesn't have this issue.
Peter Molnar
malom multimedia

Weston Woodbury

PostFri Feb 02, 2018 4:38 am

Hey Peter, and other folks dealing with this. I've been using the Hyperdeck Mini w/ latest update all day long for 4 days, for sessions upwards of 60mins each record, and have had no "green" / no video files. I've been using .mov quicktime on osx format. It appears, at least so far, this was the fix. Thanks BMD!

Peter Molnar

PostFri Feb 02, 2018 8:34 am

Weston Woodbury wrote:Hey Peter, and other folks dealing with this. I've been using the Hyperdeck Mini w/ latest update all day long for 4 days, for sessions upwards of 60mins each record, and have had no "green" / no video files. I've been using .mov quicktime on osx format. It appears, at least so far, this was the fix. Thanks BMD!

Thank You Weston for the deep testing!
I think now I could place an order for this device. :)

Best,
Peter
Peter Molnar
malom multimedia

clubbingtv

PostThu Jun 14, 2018 9:27 am

Hello,

I have the exact same problem with 2160p25 on Hyperdeck Mini with ProRes LT codec.
6 hours of 4000 persons live concert ruined and I'm stuck with the recordings showing nothing but black and audio.

I have contacted a company to restore the files, and the frames are very corrupted. See attached picture.
Not even speaking of the price they would ask to fix 6 hours which is more or less 10 times the price of the Hyperdeck mini itself...without success guaranteed.

If anyone has an idea on how to fix the recordings and make them usable... I would love to hear from you guys.

best regards,
stéphane
Attachments
frame.jpg
frame.jpg (148.04 KiB) Viewed 5686 times

ullben

PostTue Jun 19, 2018 8:32 am

clubbingtv wrote:Hello,

I have the exact same problem with 2160p25 on Hyperdeck Mini with ProRes LT codec.
6 hours of 4000 persons live concert ruined and I'm stuck with the recordings showing nothing but black and audio.

What firmware did you use? Was this with the latest firmware? Does it mean that the trouble with Hyperdeck Mini is not yet solved? Please anyone?

clubbingtv

PostMon Jun 25, 2018 10:50 am

No, it wasn't in the latest firmware. It is now, but my problem is what has been recorded with the previous one.... :(

best,
stéphane

iepbrisbane

PostSat Jul 28, 2018 12:02 pm

I have just discovered this problem too, first recording fine, then the last 2 ended up with the video being corrupt :( , will try to contact Blackmagic tomorrow

bmpeter

PostMon Aug 13, 2018 5:28 pm

Black video issue is still present with firmware version 6.0 . :roll:
Peter

Steven Sokulski

PostTue Nov 13, 2018 7:13 am

Hey all,

I'm dealing with some files that had the same all black video track with only audio from a HyperDeck Studio Mini.

Recording was taken with Angelbird AV PRO Sd cards.

How does one verify what firmware they are running? I have the device plugged into my computer with a USB-C cable and am running the HyperDeck Setup version 6.0, but I don't see anywhere to push an update or see current firmware version.

Thanks in advance for advice determine if I'm on the current firmware or not.

thomaa

PostFri Jun 05, 2020 6:14 am

Hi, I juste want to pick up this issue since we bought a new Hyperdeck Studio Mini a month ago, and we suddently had this issue on recording yesterday.

We're recording in 1080p50 on Prores LT. The input comes from an ATEM Television Studio 4K. The recording monitor on the Hyperdeck showed no indication that anything was wrong: We got sound, picture and the recording light was running red.

We got a couple of recordings OK, but suddenly something happended during a take, and we ended up with a recording of black image and good sound!

When looking at the file from a Mac it was obvious that something was wrong, since in Finder no poster picture of the movie was displayed as the MOV icon. When opening up the file in preview the wheel just spun. No image. No sound. When opening in Quicktime only sound was playing.

Seems like our "discovery" is like other's observations here, but did anyone find a solution to this?

t

Return to Live Production