Monitoring over the LAN with ATEM Television Studio

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Angelo Brusati

Monitoring over the LAN with ATEM Television Studio

PostSun Oct 29, 2017 5:54 pm

Hello

I currently use ATEM Television Studio - the rack version without controls on the panel - and I capture the resulting output video to a disk.
Now I have the need to send the resulting output video to a remote Mac machine at the same time, connected on the same LAN network. I also need to send the audio.
Is there a way to accomplish this with my current equipment or do I need another device, such as the Web Presenter or else? If yes, how should I configure ATS?

Thanks in advance!
Greetings

Angelo Brusati

Re: Monitoring over the LAN with ATEM Television Studio

PostTue Oct 31, 2017 8:28 pm

To be more specific, the remote Mac in question should show the live video with audio in a web browser or another viewer - not Youtube, Facebook live or similar. Just internally on the LAN.

The ATEM Television Studio sends video by means of SDI to other monitors.

Any idea/suggestion?

Asgeir Hustad

PostWed Nov 01, 2017 8:14 am

There are multiple ways of solving this problem - but it's hard to reply with a good solution unless you give an expected budget.

You could use an NDI input-thing (hardware or software if you've got an ingest card), a streaming device streaming to your computer only, you can use VLC... All of these generally require a piece of hardware as an input device to a computer.

Angelo Brusati

PostWed Nov 01, 2017 9:32 am

Thanks a lot Asgeir for the suggestion.

In order to be more flexible, I was thinking (if possible) of a kind of broadcaster device which have a built-in local web server. In this case I could access the live video streaming by simply opening a web browser on a remote client computer - the Mac I mentioned - browsing that IP number. Something like protocol://192.168.1 .111/streaming, as en example. I was hoping the Blackmagic Web Presenter is made for this :)

Xtreemtec

PostWed Nov 01, 2017 9:37 am

You need additional hardware for sure.

NDI could be an option.. But you need a NDI streamer.. $500+
Teradek can also do this $1600+

So what you want is not easy on your wallet ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

JohnBengston

PostWed Nov 01, 2017 9:49 am

The original ATEM TVS devices have a built in H.264 encoder. So with a small PC a USB Cable and MXLight you can stream to remote computers over a LAN just using VLC at the receiving end.

The PC can be fairly low spec if you don't re-encode the H.264 from the original model TVS' USB stream.

Xtreemtec

PostWed Nov 01, 2017 9:54 am

Angelo Brusati wrote:- and I capture the resulting output video to a disk.

He already uses this for recording.. But maybe a record and stream all together will work.. It is a pity that OBS Studio does not work with the TVS..
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

JohnBengston

PostWed Nov 01, 2017 9:59 am

MXLight will allow you to record the H.264 and stream at the same time without significant problems.

GallerySienna

PostMon Jan 22, 2018 9:37 pm

Angelo Brusati wrote:Hello

I currently use ATEM Television Studio - the rack version without controls on the panel - and I capture the resulting output video to a disk.
Now I have the need to send the resulting output video to a remote Mac machine at the same time, connected on the same LAN network. I also need to send the audio.
Is there a way to accomplish this with my current equipment or do I need another device, such as the Web Presenter or else? If yes, how should I configure ATS?

Thanks in advance!
Greetings

One fairly compact and cost effective solution.

- MacMini
- BMD UltraStudio MiniRecorder
- Sienna NDI Source: http://sienna-tv.com/ndi/ndi-source.html

This gets you the TVS output as NDI on your network - so you can monitor it on Mac,Windows, Linux using the appropriate NDI Monitor.

- If you add Sienna NDI WebLink : http://sienna-tv.com/ndi/ndiweblink.html
Then you also have your NDI sources available to any webBrowser on any device, including iPhone, iPad etc.

Ian Morrish

PostTue Jan 23, 2018 5:21 am

Totally free option (not counting your time to get it working)
MXPTiny and FFMPEG will allow a remote computer to play the TVS output using VLS. Delay will be 4 or 5 seconds though.
Advantage of this solution is very low CPU overhead on the sending PC (Windows for MXLight and MXPTiny option, but anything that can run VLC can play stream).

See notes at the end of this blog post https://ianmorrish.wordpress.com/2016/08/25/record-h-264-from-blackmagic-television-studio-usb-port/

FFMPEG can also stream directly from a Blackmagic capture card (PCI Decklink cards or external USB/Thunderbolt devices).
My choice of H.264 from TVS or capture SDI output would come down to how much latency at the remote location I could put up with (is the location isolated from the live sound is the big factor).
Regards,
Ian Morrish
Video Integrated Scripting Environment
(Windows PowerShell with ATEM driver + more)
https://ianmorrish.wordpress.com

Andrew Martin

PostThu Jan 25, 2018 6:52 pm

This isn't a true professional. piece of gear but it'll do what you want right out the box..

https://www.startech.com/AV/Converters/ ... USB2HDCAPS

One of the venues we visit have this in place feed it with an hdmi signal and it outputs over their internal Lan and viewable via a browser or something like vlc player.

Alternatively go with Ian or John's idea of using mxlight or mxp tiny to grab a signal off ur tvs usbport.
Forget ndi it isn't designed for multicast delivery over networks or general streaming.

A.

GallerySienna

PostSat Jan 27, 2018 7:40 pm

Andrew Martin wrote:Forget ndi it isn't designed for multicast delivery over networks or general streaming.
A.

Hi Andrew.

Just wanted to correct your statement on NDI.
NDI 3.0 *can* be configured to use multicast if that suits your application and network config.

Andrew Martin

PostMon Jan 29, 2018 12:58 pm

GallerySienna wrote:
Andrew Martin wrote:Forget ndi it isn't designed for multicast delivery over networks or general streaming.
A.

Hi Andrew.

Just wanted to correct your statement on NDI.
NDI 3.0 *can* be configured to use multicast if that suits your application and network config.

Yeah, ok thanks for that info......

But personally I don't see ndi in the usecase of the Atem. Great for tricaster vmix OBS etc that already natively work with that protocol, BMDs implementation on IP over video is TICO so I don't see it ever being implemented natively. I've always worked on the principle of having a piece of hardware to do it's intended job. Whilst that might limit my resourcefullness well maybe, but I know that hardware won't fail when it decides to do an update in the middle of a gig. Or that new update prevents me running the application until they can put out a patch. Having to run a pc /laptop full of capture cards ain't the way I choose to run. Saying that, I do use ndi use it to feed external monitors projector etc.and in some cases to grab a Presenters powerPoint But when £££ changes hand I want to know the recoding is on that disk .. and I don't have faith in a pc workflow at this time.. it only takes a couple screwups and ur companies rep. is in the bin. The new birddog devices look interesting and something I might choose oneday to use, but until we get a four or six channel hardware ndi/sdi converter to connect into the Atem I don't see it. Right now fibre gets me much futhur and is imo much more reliable over distance than an IP line.

Xtreemtec

PostMon Jan 29, 2018 1:25 pm

And with a 4:1 compression TICO seems way too heavy for any software like Vmix, Tricaster, OBS etc.. As with 1080P50 (3Gbit 4:1 = 750Mbit) Which would be do-able for a 1Gbit network interface.. But will be full after that.

When talking about 6G 4:1 = 1.5Gbit and 12G 4:1 = 3Gbit.. These would require 10Gbit network connections and enough power to process that.
So i don't see TICO in a Software sollution enviroment.. While i don't see NDI in the PRO video industry like the big guys doing TV..

GallerySienna

PostMon Jan 29, 2018 1:35 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:And with a 4:1 compression TICO seems way too heavy for any software like Vmix, Tricaster, OBS etc.. As with 1080P50 (3Gbit 4:1 = 750Mbit) Which would be do-able for a 1Gbit network interface.. But will be full after that.

When talking about 6G 4:1 = 1.5Gbit and 12G 4:1 = 3Gbit.. These would require 10Gbit network connections and enough power to process that.
So i don't see TICO in a Software sollution enviroment.. While i don't see NDI in the PRO video industry like the big guys doing TV..

Hi Dan
Whilst I totally respect your views about NDI, I have to tell you that they are out of sync with the reality.
NDI is *already* being used *extensively* in all sorts of mid and even some high end broadcast TV
Companies including NBC Universal have built entire broadcast workflows around NDI.
Major vendors like RossVideo, Panasonic, Viz and Chyron are making serious use of NDI
Ignore it if you like, but you might just get left behind when the wave passes.
Cheers :-)
Mark.
PS. you might find the wikipedia page enlightening : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_Device_Interface

Jack Fairley

PostMon Jan 29, 2018 7:31 pm

GallerySienna wrote:Ignore it if you like, but you might just get left behind when the wave passes.

SMPTE 2022, maybe, but NDI? Nah.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

GallerySienna

PostMon Jan 29, 2018 7:44 pm

Jack Fairley wrote:
GallerySienna wrote:Ignore it if you like, but you might just get left behind when the wave passes.

SMPTE 2022, maybe, but NDI? Nah.

In reality, SMPTE 2022 has already been more or less superceded by SMPTE 2110 for most vendors. Same goes for ASPEN.

A few folks will continue to use 2022-6 purely for 1:1 SDI replacement, but all the 10GBit vendors are now very firmly focussed on SMPTE 2110 which addresses all the (many) criticisms of 2022-6 which is not very helpful for advanced workflows or complex devices (like software).

If anyone would like some wider context on the different IP Video formats and what they are useful for, you may find an article I write for Broadcast Bridge magazine interesting (written prior to the launch of 2110).

http://tinyurl.com/ndi-article

It discusses why we actually need more than one standard, for different types of application - and realistically the two we will end up with *everywhere* will be SMPTE 2110 and NDI.

So, which one make most sense for BMD ? I say both, for different applications. BMD to NDI to BMD is already available on Mac and Windows, and BMD to NDI on Linux - so its already here. I guess BMD might do SMPTE2110 on fibre at some point. Either way - SDI is not the future,

Jack Fairley

PostMon Jan 29, 2018 7:56 pm

GallerySienna wrote:In reality, SMPTE 2022 has already been more or less superceded by SMPTE 2110 for most vendors.

Brain short circuit, I indeed meant 2110 for those reasons exactly. I will agree with your hypothesis that NDI could be a useful companion to SMPTE 2110.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Asgeir Hustad

PostTue Jan 30, 2018 8:44 am

I wouldn't use NDI for sources, because I very often need to project back to screens in the venue, and as such need as little latency as possible. But for transporting the (low-priority) program or an AUX to the other side of a location, or from location to a MCR? Where there already is a network with sufficient capacity?

Sure, any time (At least unless it's projected on a huuuge screen where you really need the uncompressed image).

If I have to lay down cable anyway to get a signal (cause I don't trust the local networks and network-guys with my sources), I'll either use SDI or fiber. It ensures uncompressed quality until the master recording at least, and has longer range than a network cable, requires fewer switches and less resources of them, and is generally a known technology.

GallerySienna

PostTue Jan 30, 2018 9:20 am

Asgeir Hustad wrote:I wouldn't use NDI for sources, because I very often need to project back to screens in the venue, and as such need as little latency as possible. But for transporting the (low-priority) program or an AUX to the other side of a location, or from location to a MCR? Where there already is a network with sufficient capacity?

Sure, any time (At least unless it's projected on a huuuge screen where you really need the uncompressed image).

If I have to lay down cable anyway to get a signal (cause I don't trust the local networks and network-guys with my sources), I'll either use SDI or fiber. It ensures uncompressed quality until the master recording at least, and has longer range than a network cable, requires fewer switches and less resources of them, and is generally a known technology.

This might be a great opportunity to get some wider feedback.

In my earlier post about migration from SDI to IP Video, I made a comparison with transitioning from CDs to MP3 - essentially accepting some small compromises, in return for the massive boost in flexibility (workflow).

It seems that the 'compromises' IP Video might present could be latency, and image quality. In the case of SMPTE2110, at present it could be increased cost, although in theory 2110 wont introduce the other 2 compromises.

Those who have tried IP video will already appreciate the benefits, and most likely have already accepted any compromises.

Given that most modern processing devices already introduce latency, as do projectors, screens, even cameras. I guess really the question is - how much latency *is* acceptable as a compromise in IP Video ?

It might depend on the application - as you mention MAGI is an area where a large latency is noticeable, but as far as I have observed, existing MAGI systems with baseband video already have quite a delay. My guess is that an extra frame or 2 may not make any practical difference. Remember that you are already delaying the audio for the back speakers.....

Another area where latency is critical is for 2-way communications where one talent interacts with another via a video link. Here, I am certain that a couple of frames is perfectly fine - in fact up to half a second appears to work OK.

Remember that we long ago embraced satellite transit of live video, which has massive latency and compression, for the very same reasons - convenience - and unlocking global real time video workflows - so clearly the industry is perfectly happy to exchange compromises for flexibility.

On the topic of quality - again - how much compression is acceptable ? once again it may depend on the application. Things like very high quality green-screen compositing require very clean signals and many green screen pros would even reject your beloved 4:2:2 SDI video for this application anyway, so maybe that one is golden in terms of quality.

In other areas, again - we have already accepted compression for convenience - almost all professional camera recorders use compression, and its pretty rare to see uncompressed video files outside of a D.I or Grading environment. All our final TV and Internet delivery is massively compressed - so the end consumer almost never sees uncompressed pictures. And when was the last time you saw an uncompressed still photo?

It seems that the professional production industry has accepted that really good quality compression like ProRes, or DNxHD is perfectly acceptable - even for really high quality productions like Movies. If we dig into the compression systems proposed for IP video, we find the same sorts of quality, so maybe it should not really be a concern ?

I dont know much about TICO, but I suspect its pretty much undetectable in terms of quality loss on a typical signal. Unfortunately, Tico isn't going to get the same take-up in the market as other standards due to its proprietary commercial model.

We are already seeing the AV1 open compression standard casting massive waves across H.265 and others since its promised to be license-free. Codec licensing has turned out to be a huge issue for video manufacturers.

JPEG 2000 has already taken quite a hold in IP Video, and quality/latency is good, although a lot of the applications are with hardware devices, since J2K is pretty heavy processing.

In the case of NDI, it uses a codec which is technically and quality comparable with ProRes and DNxHD, and is very low latency (technically minimum 8 video lines, typically 1 frame). The NDI codec also benefits from zero generation loss - you can compress and recompress the same image 1000 times and it never gets any worse beyond pass 1.
For most people in anything other than a scientific image-analysis environment will probably find that the compression in NDI (and TICO, and J2K) will be no-compromise at all in practice. You certainly wont notice *any* compression compromise on a typical big projection screen in a live environment.

So, ultimately I think I have convinced myself that compression is a non-issue, which leaves latency as the possible compromise and it is something you can notice in some cases. Perhaps this single issue will determine where IP Video gets to spread its wings (and unlock incredible workflows) and where the industry will insist on zero(ish) latency connectivity. Frankly the difference between 0 and 1 or 2 frames is not a lot for almost every application, so maybe this is not such a big deal.

Anyone operating in professional video has a responsibility to themselves and to their customers to fully explore this new world.

** IP Video is now inevitable, in the same way that SDI once was compared to analog. **

There are lots of free IP video tools out there which will let you draw your own conclusions. Sitting on the fence scowling at IP Video isn't going to save your business.

Dont be the last guy standing doing 4:3 Analog video productions.....

Xtreemtec

PostTue Jan 30, 2018 10:41 am

GallerySienna wrote:It might depend on the application - as you mention MAGI is an area where a large latency is noticeable, but as far as I have observed, existing MAGI systems with baseband video already have quite a delay. My guess is that an extra frame or 2 may not make any practical difference. Remember that you are already delaying the audio for the back speakers.....

Doing a lot of imag.. Every frame counts.!! Otherwise we did not have to invest in 3 times more expensive cameras to get a Genlock connection to lock the camera to the Atem and avoid the framebuffer. And thus shaving another frame in worst case..

Our next issue is Led processors. If possible we connect our own led processor that is also genlockable. As Led processors from the companies often are more cheaper ones that do not allow genlock.. And so have more delay.
We try to put less and less converters in our camera chains and output setup.. All to avoid delay. (For example our live screen gets a direct aux feed from the mixer instead of PGM out. Because in our PGM out feed we have 2 audio embedders which do also delay the signal for a frame per unit.. For recording and livestream this is no problem. But on the screen you really want to get as close as possible.

Hence we sending SDI over Fiber. From camera to atem a total delay of 4 reclockers. (Sdi input fiber box, Reclocker on base station behind the fiber input, Reclocker in the Videohub sdi input, Reclocker in the Atem.) A reclocker takes utterly nothing.. We use raw SDI over fiber. So not processed by a big FPGA system that will take time again..

So our biggest delays are the camera processing and screen delay time from input to output.
We did the most to get delay to a minimum.. So don't start on what is 1 or 2 frames extra.. :lol: :roll:

Sure NDI has a market, and for camjo and for live trough internet remote studio things great.!! We use NDI sometimes to push some streams from 1 vmix to another vmix machine for slomo shots.. There too no problem if there is 1 or 2 frames delay.. But live must be live.. ;)

I'm sorry i'm pretty PRO SDI FIBER. But you are pretty PRO NDI :D We are both hardware / software developers in our field.. I understand the concept of NDI and IP..
But there will be clash between formats for a while.. Like we have seen in audio.. (Rednet, Dante, Livewire, and lots of others..) Now a lot of them came together and put a new standard Ravenna AES67. Were propetary protocols Like Dante, and open systems come together on 1 standard. Which is also now part of ST2110..

I see something like that happen in the future with video streams too.. TICO and NDI and others will be compatible with each other 1 day.. Maybe there will be a TICO baseline.. Which will be compressed or something. I don't know yet..

Yes TICO charges a fee for there licensing.. While NDI is still free of charge.. That does make a huge difference for implementation.
But don't forget that all major players in the high end broadcast market are part of the TICO alliance:
Intel, Grass Valley, Leader, Tektronix, Ikegami, Panasonic, Embrionix, Matrox, Blackmagic Design, EVS, Rohde&Schwarz, Xilinx, Bluefish444, Teledyne Lecroy, Ross, Pesa, Nevion, Telestream, Axon and may others..
Most of these manufacturers have Xilinx FPGA hardware in them. And TICO has a great integration with the Xilinx FPGA's..

We have our fiber converters ready to push in an Embrionix emSFP that will do ST2022 ST2110.. If we want to go IP.. But for now. we keep it to fiber sdi as the IP market in hardware is still shifting.. Hardware getting soon obsolete because it can't handle a certain codec.. And having a minimac on a Vlock mounted on the back of every camera is ... Well just image that :lol: :lol:

Return to Live Production