ATEM not connecting with Canon G40

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Robert Goff

ATEM not connecting with Canon G40

PostMon Jan 22, 2018 2:45 am

We just purchased a Canon G40 and tried to connect it with our ATEM, but no luck. We did go through the Output settings but couldn't seem to get all the cameras on the same output. We are using 3 different types of cameras. I know that isn't optimal, but we just started streaming at our school, so our budget it tight. I'm also new to the broadcast streaming after spending 20 years as an English teacher, but I really love this and want to do right for the students.

The other cameras are a Canon XA-10 and two Canon Vixia R50.

Even when we disconnect the other cameras, still cannot get the G40 to connect. Again, tried multiple output settings on both the ATEM and the G40. Does anybody have a setting that works for them?

This is our sequence. Is there something we're missing.
1. Connect camera to ATEM Television Studio HD via HDMI cord. 5 ft cord
2. SDI output from ATEM to BM Ultra Studio mini-recorder.
2. We connect the ATEM to an ACER V246 HQL monitor to view. We do this through HDMI.
3. Mini-recorder is connected, via Thunderbolt cord to our computer. We're using Wirecast for our stream.

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

Re: ATEM not connecting with Canon G40

PostTue Jan 23, 2018 7:27 pm

An easy way to verify the output of the G40 is to connect it to a TV and hit the info button on the remote. This should tell you the format being output from the camera. Keep in mind ALL sources into the ATEM need to be matching. If one is not, you won't see an image from that input connected.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

Denny Smith

PostWed Jan 24, 2018 3:46 am

From Canon’s web site
Description
Setting the HDMI output to 1080P mode for playback
Solution
For televisions which support 1080P playback you may wish to enable this function.

If set to [ON], when the camcorder is connected using the supplied HDMI cable to an HDTV that supports the 1080P standard, your video recordings (made in 1080i) will be converted and output as 1080P.

Turn the power on.
Touch <FUNC.> to enter the function menu.
Touch <MENU>.
Touch the < System Setup> tab.
Drag up or down to display [HDMI 1080p Output].
Touch [OFF*] and select [ON] to enable 1080P output.
Touch the [X] to close the menu.
*Default setting

NOTE: HDMI 1080p output cannot be set while the camcorder is connected to an HDTV using the supplied HDMI cable.

Normally, when the camera is set to HD (1080p), it is supposed to output 1080p, bit based on Canon’s instruction above, is is more likely outputting an interlaced signal, 1080i60.
You can use Tony’s suggestion and check all the cameras to find a common resolution setting they will all work with.

Since yiu have an ATEM HD, down the road you should consider budgeting for some Micro Studio camera’s, somthe output can be easily matched not only for resolution, but also can be color balanced/matched via the ATEM HD.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Robert Goff

PostWed Jan 24, 2018 6:44 pm

Thanks guys. I did hook the camera up to the monitor earlier to check the output, but only looked at the output from the camera perspective. Will try this method.

I did look at the blackmagic cameras, but since I use the cameras for more than live streaming, I decided to go this way. Live streaming is only a small amount of what we do. Mostly use the cameras to teach video production and some broadcast studio lessons for the students. We do everything post-production except when we stream high school events.

Another school that streams through Wirecast suggested the G20's and the G40.

AndyMcHardy

PostThu Jan 25, 2018 2:03 pm

I have a HF G40 and being in the UK, when I set it to 1080p the output seen by the switcher is 1080p50 so I have to run it with a MD-HX if I run it with the rest of my cameras that are all 1080p25.
Flypack 1: ATEM 1M/E 4K | Studio Converter | Camera Converter | Hyperdeck Studio Pro | 12x12 Cleanswitch | SmartScope Duo 4K | Teranex 2D
Flypack 2: ATEM TVS HD | Hyperdeck Studio Mini | SmartView Duo
Office: ATEM Mini

Xtreemtec

PostThu Jan 25, 2018 3:08 pm

Robert Goff wrote:Another school that streams through Wirecast suggested the G20's and the G40.

Wirecast does not care to handle different resolutions and framerates.. As do most software systems.. They all do internal scaling inside your computer.

But hardware mixer do need all sources to be exact the same and conform the settings. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Robert Goff

PostFri Jan 26, 2018 3:30 pm

Thanks guys for all your suggestions.

We've tried just about everything we can think of and still nothing. We cannot even get the G40 on our screen when we plug it in by itself. This makes me think it's an issue with the camera and the ATEM.

Our HDMI Status is 1920x1080P but when I try that on the ATEM, nothing but black screen. I've plugged the camera directly to the monitor and get the same output source.

Could frame rate effect things? The only options I have are 59.94i, PF 29.97 and 23.98P.

When I set the ATEM video format to 1080p59.94, nothing but black.

If I change the frame rate to PF 29.97, the monitor says "Input not Supported". I also changed the ATEM to 1080p29.97

Same thing "Input not Supported" when I change frame rate to 23.98p and the ATEM to 1080p23.98.

Sent a request in to Canon and we will see what happens. It's a nice camera and works great for the kids with video projects, but now a bit sick that I could have spent the money on a different camera that they could have used for for classroom projects as well as streaming. Uggghhh

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jan 26, 2018 6:47 pm

Interlaced and progressive are not the same. If you take the signal into the ATEM @59.94 interlaced, you'll need to select 1080i59.94. I'm guessing 29.97 and 23.98 are PsF(Progressive segmented frames) which is not supported by the switcher. You need to find the highest common frame rate and resolution with all sources going into the switcher. Looking at the manuals for the cameras will typically give you an indication of what those are.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

Return to Live Production