What is easiest way to get program output to floor monitor?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Kit Laughlin

What is easiest way to get program output to floor monitor?

PostFri Mar 16, 2018 9:11 pm

Setup:

ATEM Television Studio HD, separate audio source > mixer > delay > ATEM via XLR.

4 Panasonic cameras, three via SDI into deck; one via HDMI

Program output from ATEM SDI > UltraStudio Mini Recorder > FW in to MacBook Pro > FW out to dual SSD RAID. There is only one program SDI output from the ATEM, which is being used to record live to disk.

Multi-View out via HDMI is used to feed the monitor on the deck I use for switching.

I want to be able to put program vision to a floor monitor so I can direct camera framing from the floor.

Any ideas?

How might this be done?
Regards, Kit Laughlin::www.StretchTherapy.net::BodyPress Productions
ATEM Television Studio HD, UltraStudio Mini-Recorder, 4 x Panasonic GX85s, too much sound gear

Denny Smith

Re: What is easiest way to get program output to floor monit

PostSat Mar 17, 2018 2:22 am

BM states, “ATEM Television Studio has an independent auxiliary output that’s perfect for feeding big video screens on stage, or can also be used to send "clean feeds" without on air graphics to recorders for program mastering. The front panel aux button makes it easy to select exactly what you want to send to the aux output.”.

So you should be able,to use the aux out to get a program out feed to an on set monitor.
Cheers.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Kit Laughlin

PostSat Mar 17, 2018 5:45 am

Thanks Denny,

I can see how to set Aux source to Program; thank you—then go Aux SDI out to monitor? Excellent; need another SDI-HDMI box, then I'm good to go. Thanks again, KL
ATEM Television Studio HD, UltraStudio Mini-Recorder, 4 x Panasonic GX85s, too much sound gear

Daniel Binder

PostSun Mar 18, 2018 2:30 pm

One thing to keep in mind: The ATEM TV Studio HD has only one aux output and no dedicated output for preview. The only way to have a preview on a separate monitor is through the one aux output. Also a clean feed can only be recorded off the one aux output.

However: The ATEM TV Studio HD has another 4 program outputs (SDI out 5-8) that are meant to be used for talkback or CCU control of Blackmagic Studio Cameras. Since talkback and CCU are embedded into a program signal, you could use them as additional program outputs and keep your aux output available for other use. If you need the program audio on those additional program outputs, check the audio settings first to avoid having the mic input open on those or the mix minus feature enabled.

Cheers,

Daniel

Kit Laughlin

PostSun Mar 18, 2018 10:22 pm

Daniel,

It sounds as though you really understand the ATEM TV HD—I am learning more as I use it to make 'live-to-disk' programs, but I have to say I find the manual almost unusable, because it talks about three or four different models in the same paragraph. I also admit to only skimming the whole thing once.

Do you know if there's a 'Cliff Notes' version of only the ATEM TV HD anywhere? Or a book written for beginners?

The irony is I used to be a network director, but then I had a crew of 40 to do what I wanted, including a vision mixer! I would really like to understand how to use all the features, so anything you can recommend will be gratefully received.

Daniel Binder

PostMon Mar 19, 2018 11:20 pm

Hi Kit,

Thanks, unfortunately I would not know about any beginners guide for the ATEM TV HD. Maybe check YouTube for tutorial videos. When it comes to the basic functionality, all ATEM series switchers work pretty much the same - so even a tutorial for a ATEM Production Studio would probably help you a bit.
Having said that, trial and error and the usually helpful forums around here will most likely get you there too - that's what I did :)

Cheers,
Daniel

Kit Laughlin

PostTue Mar 20, 2018 2:19 am

Thanks Daniel! That's what I thought... :)

Return to Live Production