Van Damme Plasma Grade Cable For HD-SDI ?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Derek Watkins

Van Damme Plasma Grade Cable For HD-SDI ?

PostMon Mar 19, 2018 5:33 pm

Hi,

Would any of you knowledgeable cable guys please be able to tell me if a 10 metre run of Van Damme Plasma Grade cable will be OK for a 720p HD-SDI signal?

My knowledge of cable specifications is virtually nil so I am not sure if I can use the spare 10 metre length of Van Damme Plasma Grade cable I already have or if I need to buy something higher spec for my needs. The chain of equipment that utilises the 10 metre length of cable is listed below.

The video source outputs 720p/50Mhz on an HDMI cable which is then converted into SDI using an HDMI to SDI converter. After conversion into SDI the signal is sent via the 10 metre cable run to an SDI to USB converter and into a PC for Wirecast.

The flexibility of the Van Damme Plasma Grade cable is useful. If I need to purchase an alternative 10 metre cable I prefer something with a multi stranded core for flexibility.

Any advice most appreciated.

Thank You
Derek

Asgeir Hustad

Re: Van Damme Plasma Grade Cable For HD-SDI ?

PostMon Mar 19, 2018 10:38 pm

If you don't extend it at all, and connect directly between good quality components, the answer is.... maybe.

The frequency of interest for a 720p50 (<-- don't use MHz in the frame rate), is 750Mhz, or half the data rate of 1.5Gb/s.

The only spec of Van Damme I found suggested that it had an attenuation of 38.31 dB/100m at 750MHz, which is a lot. For an HD-SDI video signal to give reliable connection, it needs to have less than 20dB combined attenuation all the way from the source to the receiver.

For 10 meters of this, I'd say you'll probably be fine, but I'd never bring a cable like that with me on a job - it's just to easy to grab it if I need just that little bit more reach for a camera, and that would never work. Buy some proper Belden 1505F if you need flex and good quality ;)

Xtreemtec

PostTue Mar 20, 2018 10:04 am

Asgeir Hustad wrote:The frequency of interest for a 720p50 (<-- don't use MHz in the frame rate), is 750Mhz, or half the data rate of 1.5Gb/s.
:? :?
720P50 is the 1,5Gb/s standard.. ;) As is 1080i50 (Which is half the framerate op 1080P50 (3G-sdi) because of the interlacing..)

We don't use the term Mhz as this was analog periode.. (SD-SDI = Analog = 270Mhz)

But 10 meters of coax type cable with BNC connectors on it will do as long as the impendance is correct (75 Ohm) and connectors are put on well so they make good contact with the cable.

We used even RG59 (Yes that analog video cable ment for camera security) with 3G-SDI on 25Meters without a problem.. Not recommended but works..

I even have a 10M RG59 here at the workshop that we sometimes use for 6G testing of worst case scenario.. 12G doesnt cut it on 10m.. But 6G comes trough error free.. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Asgeir Hustad

PostTue Mar 20, 2018 10:55 am

Xtreemtec wrote:
Asgeir Hustad wrote:The frequency of interest for a 720p50 (<-- don't use MHz in the frame rate), is 750Mhz, or half the data rate of 1.5Gb/s.
:? :?
720P50 is the 1,5Gb/s standard.. ;) As is 1080i50 (Which is half the framerate op 1080P50 (3G-sdi) because of the interlacing..)

We don't use the term Mhz as this was analog periode.. (SD-SDI = Analog = 270Mhz)

Not sure if you're agreeing or disagreeing with me here, Daniel? ;)

Also, I know most modern chipsets (especially 6G+) like I guess your products are using have some seriously good frontends that can do a lot better than "just the spec" of -20dB :D

Scott Smith

PostTue Mar 20, 2018 12:30 pm

I’m going to recommend this cable, if you want quality but highly flexible coax that can handle 3gSDI.

http://www.clarkwire.com/cableCD7559F.htm

They also have an rg6 flexible version that is excellent.

I honestly don’t know about this vandamme cable you speak of.
Scott R Smith
BMD Stuff I use: ATEM 2-M/E, 4 x ATEM PS 4K, Broadcast Videohub, 6 Hyperdeck Pros, 4 Hyperdeck Shuttles, Multidock, Smartscope Duo, Smartview, Intensity Extreme, Decklink Studio, and lots of Miniconverters and Open Gear Converters.

Derek Watkins

PostTue Mar 20, 2018 1:22 pm

Thank you all for your replies.

I setup the equipment using the Van Damme Plasma grade cable and it is working OK in so far as I have audio and video in Wirecast. I realise the cable is probably under specified for the job but it seems to be coping up to now.

A better specified cable might be advisable just to be on the safe side, especially if I have to slightly relocate some of the equipment and the cable run increases in length by a few metres. The Belden 1505F cable looks to be a suitable option as does Van Damme HD Vision grade cable. Both are flexible and rated for 1080p at 35 metres for the Belden 1505F and 31 metres for the Van Damme HD Vision.

I probably need to purchase a cable assembly rather than a reel/length of cable and separate terminations as I have no crimping tools and it is only for the occasional small project. The Clarke cable linked to above looks like it would be OK but they are USA based unless they have a supplier in the UK?

Any recommendation to a UK based supplier of cable assemblies suitable to my need would be most appreciated.

Thank You
Derek

Scott Smith

PostTue Mar 20, 2018 2:44 pm

The Belden 1505f is a great cable, very similar to the Clark Wire one I posted a link to. 99% of my cabling is Belden. Good stuff. Belden also makes a 1694F, which is the thicker RG6 version of flexible cable.

Yeah, Clark is a US company. I really like their products, particularly their mic cable and stereo zip audio cable. IMHO, they make the best mic cable out there. But it might not be the best choice for you, outside of the US.
Scott R Smith
BMD Stuff I use: ATEM 2-M/E, 4 x ATEM PS 4K, Broadcast Videohub, 6 Hyperdeck Pros, 4 Hyperdeck Shuttles, Multidock, Smartscope Duo, Smartview, Intensity Extreme, Decklink Studio, and lots of Miniconverters and Open Gear Converters.

Dave Johnstone

PostTue Mar 20, 2018 9:43 pm

Try Canford Audio or Bryant Broadcast in the UK.

Regards,

Dave.
Freelance Television Broadcast Engineer
and Software Programmer.

grahamess

PostWed Mar 21, 2018 10:17 pm

I think we have some 30-50m + lengths of this running on one of our trucks. 99% sure we do and it works no problem with a 1080 50i image coming down it.
The best stuff to buy though every time is-
Canford cable. Go to canfords website and search this product code -

36-526_CANFORD-SDV-L-CABLE-Turquoise

They sell it on various colours, pre made lengths, or on the roll.
We have drums of this running daily, We can run 150m of this before we need to re-clock the picture.
Don't waste your money on anything else.

Daniel Greyson

PostThu Mar 22, 2018 9:00 pm

Don't forget Canare, they make great cable as well.

Tom_Bassford

PostMon Mar 26, 2018 9:47 pm

I’ve run 1080i SDI down 50m runs of that VDC Plasma cable. It works fine, a little close to the edge but no serious errors to look at on an eye pattern scope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
http://www.atemuser.com
if it was easy it wouldn't be called engineering

Return to Live Production