ATEM 1 M/E 4K USING OLD EQUIPMENT

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Gordon McAllister

ATEM 1 M/E 4K USING OLD EQUIPMENT

PostWed Apr 18, 2018 10:59 am

I am the person responsible for the media at my church and we are for changing our equipment that is very out of date. Unfortunately some of it has to be kept so I am seeking advice as I am looking for a way to integrate an Atem 1 M/E 4K into our setup to future-proof it for a while. Unfortunately our current setup is still on VGA and we will be keeping the VGA projector that has a maximum of 1024 x 768 i.e 4:3 ratio as it has a powerful lense that shines the length of our sanctuary until we move to a larger building in the next 4 – 5 years. All the computers in the diagram have yet to be built and the cameras are going to be replaced.

My questions are:
1) Can I output 16:9 from the computers and cameras and send one signal as a 16:9 ratio to the tv and then convert the other to 4:3 for the projector using some type of scaler?

2) Is there a scaler that can change from 16:9 to 4:3 sdi to vga without it looking too squashed?

3) What is the best way of sending the signals from the computers to the atem as these are being built from scratch. Would you convert hdmi to sdi with a Decimator or is there a graphics card you would recommend that can output sdi? Each computer will be sending 2 outputs to the atem and possibly more in the future so a graphics card with sdi would probably be better.

4) What type of cameras would you recommend? Nothing too high spec as I will have to scale it down again to 1024x768 when finished. The current cameras are generic and I doubt if they would be detected be the atem.
Attachments
setup_ATEM.jpg
setup_ATEM.jpg (29.13 KiB) Viewed 519 times

Bruce Smith

Re: ATEM 1 M/E 4K USING OLD EQUIPMENT

PostThu Apr 19, 2018 9:37 am

A lot of your options depend on budget.

1)

You can use a proper aspect ratio converter to get from your 16:9 Atem to your 4:3 projector, or you can use something cheap and cheerful like a SDI - VGA converter available for about £45 on eBay. they are nothing fancy but would solve your problem in the short to mid term while not using funds that could be put towards a projector upgrade supporting old infrastructure.

If you search on eBay for SDI VGA you should find the cheap converter.

2)

Roughly covered above.

3)

Depends on your software, Blackmagic have now released a converter that's not not as posh as the Decimator but will convert from HDMI to SDI as you require. The Blackmagic option is also a fair chunk cheaper and will be perfect for set and forget conversion.

Return to Live Production