Did Atem HD multiview just break my HDMI screen?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

taapo

Did Atem HD multiview just break my HDMI screen?

PostTue May 15, 2018 6:07 pm

Just received the new Atem HD, unpacked it, and connected my 3rd HDMI computer screen (Dell HD monitor) to the multiview HDMI out port. Thought I saw some flickering on the preview, but reckoned that it was from the internal scaler.

After testing, I connected the Dell monitor back to my workstation, and now I see stripes in the screen. I tried to reset the monitor, power off the workstation, switched HDMI cables, switched the order of my screens. No avail - it seems like these stripes are burnt in.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/IpUWZDii9OWpkXG02

How can something like this happen?????????? This is just not acceptable. It's a normal HDMI out port, it should not break any screens.

I'm glad I didn't connect my VideoDevices monitor for testing, as this would have been disastrous.

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

Re: Did Atem HD multiview just break my HDMI screen?

PostThu May 17, 2018 4:37 pm

Hello. This can happen with LCD screens and there should be a menu selection on the monitor for "Conditioning" of the screen that will fix this. Usually it will display full colors or white for a period of time to clear it.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

Xtreemtec

PostTue May 22, 2018 9:50 am

Yeah your screen did burn in a bit.. That is pretty normal with LCD screen due to the high contract for long periodes of time between White and black or image...

What Gary says.. Or there is a mode inside your screen to do this.. Or just output a plain white background for 2 hours on your computer and it will be gone too..

This is due how the screen works and not due too your Atem breaking your screen in any way..

If you would leave a very high contrast image on your monitor for several hours you are quite likely to see the same happen .. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Daniel Binder

PostTue May 22, 2018 12:05 pm

I noticed similar "burn-ins" with (mostly cheaper) LCD screens, especially when the multivew of an ATEM or Multiview4 is on for a while (then the labels, borders, audio meters) tend to burn in.

Would an option to reduce the brightness of those possibly prevent this?

cheers,
Daniel

Xtreemtec

PostTue May 22, 2018 3:38 pm

It won't prevent.. But the effect won't be this worse.. ;)

So yes if there would be an option change to opacy of the multiviewer grid that would be nice.. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Return to Live Production