URSA Broadcast Talkback

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Holger

URSA Broadcast Talkback

PostMon Aug 13, 2018 10:01 am

Hello Blackmagic team, I badly miss an option to activate talkback by the record button on lens handle and/or the record button on the zoom demand. Any chance to implement that in one of the next firmware updates?

Best regards, Holger

Denny Smith

Re: URSA Broadcast Talkback

PostMon Aug 13, 2018 9:59 pm

This is a user discussion forum, you would be better off submitting this request directly to BM Support:
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/suppor ... al-cameras
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Xtreemtec

PostTue Aug 14, 2018 10:27 am

This is already discussed in several topics here on Talkback,
Also the level of the headphone amplifier is to low, Sidetone adjustment is needed, and a option to enable / disable the intercom override in the Talkback converters.

At this point the intercom have several issues that need work arrounds.. Some minor software changes could make or break the intercom system being suitable or not for Broadcast..

We can only hope BMD listens and fix these things in the next software update.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Denny Smith

PostTue Aug 14, 2018 5:26 pm

If they cam be fixed by a firmware update, their might be some sort of hardware issues also. I was trying to help Holger address this request to where it might get more action, and less discussion... :mrgreen:
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Matt Certa

PostTue Aug 14, 2018 6:34 pm

It'd just be nice to get them to acknowledge they are looking into it. I was texting a friend of mine that just started a concert tour with the Broadcast cams and fiber rigs, and will have to loom XLR cables to the fiber because they couldnt hear anything the first show.

Xtreemtec

PostTue Aug 14, 2018 8:37 pm

Matt Certa wrote: and will have to loom XLR cables to the fiber because they couldnt hear anything the first show.

I have heared this from 2 other companies too that they now rig Ethernet or XLR to accomodate for a intercom system that does work.. As the BMD intercom solutions fails in broadcast enviroments..... :roll: :roll: Not very good if you try to push and advertise your product into the broadcast industry..
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

codyfay

PostThu Jan 09, 2020 11:02 pm

I am trying to integrate a 2 wire Clear Com system, wired and wireless with 4 URSA Broadcast cameras and SMPTE fiber CCUs. So I need to bridge to a 4 wire with another piece of equipment and use a db25 breakout cable from the CCU.

But it sounds like even if I do convert to a 4 wire system there are still issues. I read that once you connect the db25 to one CCU, then the rest will receive the intercom via the LC fiber modules? Anyone get this to work at all?

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jan 10, 2020 12:13 am

Hello. It is advisable to connect the 4 Wire interface to one Studio Fiber Converter. The ATEM switcher when connected to each Studio Fiber Converter will interconnect the camera talkback as well as provide CCU. This will depend on which ATEM switcher you are using. If the ATEM of choice has Talkback support, then that ATEM will interconnect the cameras. ATEMs that provide talkback include the Television Studio HD/HD Pro/4K, 2/4ME ATEMs and Constellation.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

Tim Schumann

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jan 10, 2020 2:19 am

Worth noting that if you are using the talkback on the URSA Broadcast's talkback system via mini-jack our Camera 6.7 update added the ability to map the Record and Ret buttons on B4 lenses to whatever functionality you want (push to talk, trigger program, toggle various function button behaviours).

This does not carry through to the Fiber Converters talkback at this stage but we are certainly looking at it.

Weston Woodbury

PostThu Apr 02, 2020 2:46 pm

Tim,

So the added remap-ability for push to talk functionality only works through the mini-jack, and not if you're using the Camera Fiber Converter with XLR headsets? :? Or does it work for opening the 5-pin XLR mic as well (as one would expect for this type of system)?

Secondly, can this be added to Ursa Mini Pro systems that are also running ENG style lenses from Fujinon/Canon that have buttons on the servo grips / demand controls? Obviously in a live broadcast environment, having a record button where the talkback normally is can be a little problematic.

Thanks

Xtreemtec

PostThu Apr 02, 2020 3:10 pm

At this moment it only applies to the Minijack on the Body. ;) There might be an update in the future to extend this to the fiber back too. But there is no timeframe on that if that will happen.

David Hutchinson

PostThu Apr 02, 2020 3:34 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:At this moment it only applies to the Minijack on the Body. ;) There might be an update in the future to extend this to the fiber back too. But there is no timeframe on that if that will happen.

Tomorrow? 3/Apr announcement?

David Hutchinson

PostThu Apr 02, 2020 3:38 pm

BTW I use the HyperX headsets on the minijack and the volume can be turned up to very painful levels. This is with the 2M/E built in talkback.

Xtreemtec

PostThu Apr 02, 2020 4:40 pm

David Hutchinson wrote:BTW I use the HyperX headsets on the minijack and the volume can be turned up to very painful levels. This is with the 2M/E built in talkback.

Do you have a link or brand / type for these ?

David Hutchinson

PostFri Apr 03, 2020 2:05 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:
David Hutchinson wrote:BTW I use the HyperX headsets on the minijack and the volume can be turned up to very painful levels. This is with the 2M/E built in talkback.

Do you have a link or brand / type for these ?

This is what I bought - https://amzn.to/39LF1ZS
HyperX Cloud II 7.1 Virtual Surround Sound Computer Headset with Advanced USB Audio Control Box -

The audio isolation isn't to industrial levels, but they are ok. Nice build quality - feel well made. And loads of volume from the minijack. They were recommended by someone else here on the forum - that's why I bought them.

Xtreemtec

PostTue Apr 07, 2020 9:29 am

Alright.. Will compare them.. We bought the Birddog headset.. Which also has some isolation from external noise. But not to industrial standards either..

Going to compare the 2 to see what works best..

David Hutchinson

PostWed Apr 08, 2020 10:00 am

Xtreemtec wrote:Alright.. Will compare them.. We bought the Birddog headset.. Which also has some isolation from external noise. But not to industrial standards either..

Going to compare the 2 to see what works best..

I'd be interested in your findings :-) Let us know how you get on.

LouisBacker

PostWed Apr 08, 2020 8:35 pm

We use these too with our Ursa Broadcasts. Very comfortable to wear all day and excellent for the price (around £60).
2 x Sony FX9, 2 x Sony FX6, 6 x Ursa Broadcasts, 2 x Canon CR-N500 PTZeds with MRMC auto-tracking, ATEM CCU, ATEM TV Studio 4K. NewTek Tricaster TC1 and 460. Dataton Watchout, Reckeen 3D Studio & vMix 4K

Return to Live Production