Using ATEM 2 M/E for livestream conferences etc

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

satnapar

Using ATEM 2 M/E for livestream conferences etc

PostTue Sep 25, 2018 1:09 pm

Hi there,

I am seriously thinking, after a lot of digging, forums, youtubers and discussions, of buying the ATEM 2 M/E Production Studio 4K to have my job done. We are streaming and recording conferences, business meetings and webinars. Until now, we are using software solutions (OBS and Wirecast) but we really want to go to a full hardware setup. We have the AJA Helo to do the streaming - recording job but we need a good mixer.

This is where the ATEM 2 M/E Production Studio 4K is coming in mind. We are going to use 3-4 cameras as sources plus 2-3 laptops for presentations. We've got some Blackmagic minis HDMI to SDI converters to input the hdmi signals from the laptops to the ATEM. We are going to use the supersource function to create some "virtual" shots (one video or static background, one camera in a window and one laptop source in another window, or two camera shots in a background, or two camera sources and a laptop source with presentation) and feed our outputs with the supersources. One example video you can see someone here https://margaritidis.com/digital4pharma-2018/

First of all, is there anyone that uses the ATEM for the same purposes as we are planning to do? If so, I will really appreciate some feedback. Also, I have read here viewtopic.php?f=4&t=68455&p=382926#p382901 that "...I connected a source to my Atem but i can not see it on the multiviewer: All sources must match the resolution and framerate of the Atem settings...". Is this only for the multiviewer or I won't be able to work with the setup above by using two cameras with different resolutions? Same video resolution and frame rate for all the sources is a strict setup?

Macbook pro as an input: I know that there are many HDCP problems when connecting a macbook pro as a video input. Does any of you have any experience to share on using a macbook pro as an input over HDMI or even with a BMD mini converter HDMI to SDI?

Supersource use: I really love the supersource feature and this is the main reason that we want to buy the ATEM. I haven't cleared to myself if I can create many supersource shots and change between them in the outputs. Any user experience on this will be much appreciated.

2 M/E : By this I can understand that I can run two different mixers at the same time, plus I can feed the first one with an outupt from the second. Some experience here will be again appreciated. How easy is to use these two mixers without an external controller?

Sorry for all these questions, but I really need to have some answers before the purchase. Here in Greece there are no return policies on Blackmagic products and it's very difficult to find out if this piece of equipment will have our job done, just by watching some YouTube videos.

Thank you all

Markus Leodolter

Re: Using ATEM 2 M/E for livestream conferences etc

PostWed Sep 26, 2018 9:15 am

The 2 M/E will do the job, but I suggest not to buy the BM converters but some Decimator MD-HX which scale the signal from the laptops to the right resolution - you can´t use different resolutions at the 2M/e, at laptops from your speakers you often don´t have the admin rights to set the resolution.

Xtreemtec

PostWed Sep 26, 2018 9:53 am

Buy a few decimators MD-HX. They are great on stage.. HDMI input from laptop presenter, HDMI output to a preview monitor at the laptop side.. SDI scaled in the right resolution and framerate to your mixer. SDI running 70/80 meters with good cables will work perfect for this purpose.

But yes you need your gear all to run in the same resolution and framerate. And my expierence with conferences is that because of the mixed media input you use.. Running progressive will be better then interlaced do to interlaced issues with some slideshows or videos..

So 1080P would be nice to run.

2me means you have 2 mixers in 1 box.. Both mixers have the same 20 inputs available.. But you can make a seperate mix. Also you can import the output of ME2 as an input source on ME1. You you can prepare your Superource with background and all in the second ME.. And then pull this to ME1. Also you could run a seperate mix for stream and event.. Running this all from the software is a bit harder then with a full panel.. You can only do 1 mouse click at a time.. But you could use Macro's to setup thing for you and recall them.
Or go with a software control like JustMacro's to connect X-keys to your setup and write functions to support quick actions that you need to repeat a lot.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

satnapar

PostWed Sep 26, 2018 10:07 am

Thank you @Xtreemtec for your precious help. One more thing, can I create different supersource shots and recall one after another?

Nate Porter

PostWed Sep 26, 2018 7:11 pm

you can use macros to setup different supersource setups and use those as 'presets' essentially. Just make sure to touch every setting you want to change when making the macro as it only saves values that you are changing while recording the macro even if it's something that is off and you want it off turn it on then off again while recording the macro. You can also save out and XML of the macros and make adjustments in a text editor if you forget something and are comfortable with minimal amount of coding.

Return to Live Production