Losing HDMI signal from SDI-HDMI microconverter

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Alexander Kinov

Losing HDMI signal from SDI-HDMI microconverter

PostMon Oct 15, 2018 12:12 pm

Hi all.
I have quite strange problem with two of my BMD SDI-HDMI microconverters.
I'm not sure 100% the problem is with them, but it is the most probable problem.

Sometimes (but not very often) I'm losing the audio signal or both the audio and the video. I have no idea why.

I usually use 4 Canon cameras, connected with long SDI cables to 4 microconverters. The HDMI outputs go to HDMI inputs of ATEM TV studio switcher. The SDI outputs of the converters go to different switcher or device. I never lose the SDI out signal, but sometimes I lose the HDMI signal coming from 2 of the converters into the ATEM. The video keeps working but the audio disappears all of a sudden, or along with losing the audio, I also have green screen on these inputs (it has nothing to do with keyers or something like that).

The problem doesn't appear very often, so I can't just run the system in the office and check all the possibilities.
The problem usually appears while working on field (onair), so I'm limited in the number of devices/cables I'm able to disconnect and check during work.
Also, there is one more weird thing - while I'm working a lot indoors, I never had that problem.
It only appears when working outdoors (not working outdoors very often). Maybe it is overheated from staying on the sun, although I try to keep the equipment on shade. But few days ago it happen early on the morning - there was no sun, but the weather was quite humid.

The usual way to find quick solution (cause we're broadcasting, or at least shooting) is to connect the camera to different spare converter and to different spare HDMI input. The problem is solved. It means the problems is with the main converter, the HDMI cable or the HDMI input of the ATEM. But later when I connect to the main converter, everything works fine. I'm sure the problem is not bad/lose cable - I tried that.

Any suggestions will be welcomed !

Daz Wood

Re: Losing HDMI signal from SDI-HDMI microconverter

PostMon Oct 15, 2018 1:20 pm

yes we are having the same problem but very often. We are still doing our own test so will post more soon. I personally think its a heat problem.

We are using the Micro Converter BiDirectional SDI/HDMI
Thank you

Daz
Davinci Resolve Studio Version
ASUS Strix GL702ZC 17" laptop. AMD Ryzen 7 1700 (Desktop CPU), 32GB DDR4, Storage 256GB M.2 SSD, 2TB SSD, 4GB RX 580, Win10

Alexander Kinov

PostTue Oct 16, 2018 8:27 am

Last night we were doing another production, this time indoors. The problem appeared right after I turned on the system, so it's definitely not overheating. I'm starting to think it's bad cable, or maybe bad connection due to plenty of dust or probably some corrosion/rust of the connectors, due to exposure to humid air. I didn't have much time to test, cause I had to get ready for broadcast. I tried to connect spare converter with the same cables - it didn't work, so I also used spare cables - it worked and I didn't have any problem. I also noticed something - there is a signal light next to the SDI connectors. The light was constant on the "normal" converters, but the light on the "faulty ones" was constantly blinking. I think that was a sign of problem with the power or the HDMI connection, I'm not sure. Right now I have few other urgent things to do, but next days I'm planning ti disassemble the whole system for serious maintenance and cleaning and I will check all the cables.

I will post again here, when I know something more.

David Chadd

PostWed Oct 17, 2018 4:23 am

Try to apply signal to the input before the power. I have an issue with audio with the micro converters and that was the solution. 2 different units, same issue.

Alexander Kinov

PostWed Oct 17, 2018 3:39 pm

Well, I think my problem could be caused by bad cables or bad connection due to dust and bad conditions.

First of all, the blinking light next to the SDI in is indication that there is no proper HDMI connection and if it works without blinking, then the HDMI connection is ok. I can't find that in the manual, but I saw it somewhere. In my case the lights were blinking, so it means the HDMI connection was bad. When I tried with different converter and cables, it was fine.

So, one of the main problem is that the equipment is installed and connected in 10U rack case and there are too many cables inside. Some cable might be lose or not fitting properly or...

Yesterday I disassemble the whole system and clean it properly using air compressor. There was lot of dust coming out of the ATEM switcher. Today I tried connecting all the 4 converters with all the 4 HDMI cables. Everything works fine. However, two of my cables seem to be a bit loose. So maybe they just didn't fit well , when inside the case with all the other cable mess. I have an idea for better assembling, which will allow me to control the HDMI cables and they won't be messy anymore. I'll see what happens and if I will have future problems.

Raphaël Jacquot

PostMon Oct 22, 2018 7:31 am

I have mounted a small processor radiator and fan on the case with thermal paste...

Thomas Seewald

PostMon Oct 22, 2018 10:16 am

How long are the HDMI cables ? BM gear is well known for issues when using HDMi cables longer than 5m/15ft.
thos-berlin - Thomas S e e w a l d

Alexander Kinov

PostWed Oct 24, 2018 9:18 am

Raphaël Jacquot wrote:I have mounted a small processor radiator and fan on the case with thermal paste...
That's good idea. Sometimes I have the feeling I can make some bacon'n'eggs on BM converters ;)

Thomas Seewald wrote:How long are the HDMI cables ? BM gear is well known for issues when using HDMi cables longer than 5m/15ft.
My HDMI cables are less than 1 meter, so it's not the case.

But after I cleaned the system, I installed everything again - this time with better positioning and cable management - everything looks tidy and really easy to check and reconnect. It wasn't like that before. Also, there were 4 SDI-HDMI converters - they were mounted 2 by 2 next to each other - I guess that also doesn't help with cooling.
After I reinstalled the system, I did few hours check with no problem. Then we did 5 hours broadcast (intensive work) - also no problem. So I hope that solves the problem - you just need to keep your equipment clean, cool and with proper installation and cable management.

Return to Live Production