Very basic question!

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

studio100

Very basic question!

PostFri Oct 19, 2018 2:47 pm

Hi, I'm a newby here so forgive my ignorance!

I am looking to buy the Black Magic television Studio HD for live streaming via OBS on a Windows 10 laptop.

However I can't figure out how to connect the Television Studio unit into my laptop which only has USB inputs.

Also is it possible to use both the HDMI and SDI outputs simultaneously so that we can the feed the mix to both OBS and a projector at the same time?

Hope that makes sense and somebody can help.

Many thanks,

Brian

Xtreemtec

Re: Very basic question!

PostFri Oct 19, 2018 4:30 pm

The HDMI output is only a Multiviewer. So you wont be able to have program video on that one.

What do you want to connect for your laptop? HDMI to have video into the Atem, Control which needs Ethernet, Or usb for updating the firmware.. And maybe the make and model of the Laptop would be handy if you want advice.. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

studio100

PostFri Oct 19, 2018 4:41 pm

Hi,

Thank you so much for your reply.

OK so I can't use the HDMI output for anything but a multiview monitor. That's interesting.

My laptop is a Dell Latitude E6430 and what I was hoping to do was output FROM the switcher INTO the laptop to use the switcher as a video capture device in OBS for live streaming.

As there only appears to be 1 x output from the switcher presumably the only way to then broadcast simultaneously to a projector would be to use the HDMI from the laptop.

Does this make sense?

Brian

Dave Del Vecchio

PostSat Oct 20, 2018 12:24 am

The ATEM Television Studio HD has 5 SDI program outputs (1 is labeled PGM, the others are labeled SDI Outputs 5-8). There is also one SDI Aux output that can be set to output program video if needed.

Since there is no HDMI program output (only a multiviewer), you'll need an SDI to HDMI converter if you need to send one of the SDI program outputs to a device with an HDMI input.

Joseph Villegas

PostSat Oct 20, 2018 12:02 pm

studio100 wrote:Hi,

Thank you so much for your reply.

OK so I can't use the HDMI output for anything but a multiview monitor. That's interesting.

My laptop is a Dell Latitude E6430 and what I was hoping to do was output FROM the switcher INTO the laptop to use the switcher as a video capture device in OBS for live streaming.

As there only appears to be 1 x output from the switcher presumably the only way to then broadcast simultaneously to a projector would be to use the HDMI from the laptop.

Does this make sense?

Brian

You need a capture device.
You can't just input a video signal to the laptop

Return to Live Production