Corporate Live Streaming: Getting Started

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

huberw

Corporate Live Streaming: Getting Started

PostThu Nov 08, 2018 10:48 pm

Hi all,

Hoping to harness the collective genius of everyone here to help me think through a setup for live streaming corporate training events. All of the training we have done to date have been pre-recorded so we are essentially starting from scratch in terms of hardware and software. I have used BMD switchers before but have not built my own setup before. I have been impressed with BMD so I would like to use their products if it makes sense.

For some background, we would like to use a 2-camera setup (currently have Canon DSLRs but want to use a different camera to save the DSLR's sensors since these will be 1-2 hour events. Open to suggestions). These will be broadcast to up to 1500 employees and clients about once a month starting in 2019. I would like the ability to live switch between the 2 cameras, a PowerPoint, and pre-recorded video. I would also want to record these trainings for later distribution.

I'm sure this has been done before so I'm attempting to avoid reinventing the wheel. Thanks in advance for your collective assistance and let me know what additional information would be helpful in order to provide a workflow recommendation. Thanks!

Andrew Martin

Re: Corporate Live Streaming: Getting Started

PostSat Nov 10, 2018 12:58 pm

You can stick with a BMD workflow up to a point.
ie. An atem switching micro studio cams recording on to a hyperdeck / hyperdeck mini

Where you need to look elsewhere is in the streaming, and PowerPoint capture.
You could use a pc to stream with ur feed grabbed by a BM capture card, maybe even a webpresenter ( but IMO it lacks functionality,, tops out at 720 and doesn't seem to be overly reliable) I much prefer dedicated hardware
like teradek or vidiu.

Power point capture, if you can get a feed from the presenters pc you can make use of a decimator MD-HX to send an hdmi feed to the projector and a scaled feed over SDI back to ur Atem. The MD-HX is the goto scaler of choice used by many. If not get a copy of the PP and run it on another pc local to the Atem and mirror the presenters movements in switching slides. You'll also need to consider composition. Do you want PiP showing the presenter and the slides on screen together Atem's upto and including the 1me have only a very basic pip capability, the 2me / 4me has better abilities here using multi source, but if you want more with the lower spec Atem's you'll need to look at an external multiviewer to get the composition you want, some of which will cost more than the atem itself.

You'll also need playout software as the Atem can't handle 'true' video in its media players... but that's way beyond a few lines here. It could be a simple laptop running VLC with its hdmi out connected to the Atem, Casper CG outputting to a BMD playout card or anything beyond costing 1000s to acheive ur goals.

Anyways a few things to think over / plan out.

A.

TheWadeYo

Re: Corporate Live Streaming: Getting Started

PostMon Nov 12, 2018 10:05 am

Would I be able to output the main program signal from my ATEM HD switcher to the UltraStudio mini recorder and then into my laptop to stream my multi-cam setup through fb and youtube? I don't want to get the web presenter as from what I know the ultra mini recorder is the same thing just less inputs and would save quite a bit

Return to Live Production