Need to Build a portable recording and streaming studio.

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

GordonArber

Need to Build a portable recording and streaming studio.

PostWed Oct 24, 2018 7:09 pm

Hi,

We are a church and I need to build a portable recording and streaming portable studio in (up to as we are talking about upgrading our cameras) 4K and have quite a few questions. The cameras I have are already all capable of SDI out as I have 2x Panasonic AG-AC160, a Panasonic AG-AC130 (with a blackmagic HDMI to SDI box), and a Panasonic AG-AC90AEN (with a blackmagic HDMI to SDI box)

We would like to record any feed from a single output at its highest form (currently 1080p but eventually 4k) and Stream (same feed) anywhere from 480p-1080p (4k eventually))

We have a studio, but we do travel to locations about 12-20 times a year so this has to be portable.

We use both Macs and Windows to edit captured video but ideally we want to switch everything to the mac world.

Down the road we will be streaming to livingasone.com but currently streaming to livestream.com. We also may be adding ProPresent module to our production. renewedvision.com/propresenter/modules . Any help would be fantastic.

Thanks in advance,
Gordon~

Thomas Seewald

Re: Need to Build a portable recording and streaming studio.

PostThu Oct 25, 2018 3:10 pm

Maybe take the new Television Studio pro 4k. It supports 4k and have scalers at all inputs. The first ATEM which have this feature. For monitoring maybe a SmartScope Duo 4k and SmartView 4k.

I dont know what to use for recording, but I would suggest „real“ a harddisk recorder. And for streaming in 4k ... ? Take a small pc and an internal card. It can be better integrated into a ready to go rack. Try to build your rack the way, you only need to connect the cameras and the internet.

But by the way: what kind of content do you want to stream ? A holy mass in 4k ? .......
thos-berlin - Thomas S e e w a l d

GordonArber

PostFri Oct 26, 2018 10:34 am

Thank you for your reply. We actually stream our service to 3 other locations at a time, currently in 720p but would like to get to 4k eventually. It would look a lot more crisp on our 12' rear projected screens.

I am going to ask a couple questions risking that I sound a little bit dumb. Would this setup work...

1) Cameras and Audio (from soundboard through XLR) to a BlackMagic Design ATEM 4K Switcher
2) (For recording) Go from that switcher with SDI to a Blackmagic Design HyperDeck Studio 2
3) (For Streaming) Go from that switcher with HDMI to an encoder like the livestream broadcaster or the living as one encoder?

MambaFiber.com

PostSat Oct 27, 2018 2:09 pm

In a nutshell...yes to all 3 of your questions. Depending on your specific needs, the extra aux outputs of the 1, 2, and 4 M/E products can make it much easier to generate feeds for your multiple destinations.
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Nerds LTD

PostSat Nov 03, 2018 4:05 am

I suggest that you determine a form factor and start thinking about what will be placed where along with which gear you're going to use. On the road, i've found solid case builds matter just as much as the nitty-gritty of studio-in-a-box design. John Barker has an awesome small rig. Take a look!

https://heretorecord.com/blog/tv-studio ... 18-edition
https://NerdsLimited.com
Legal Flyer® for iOS: Property Releases For Drone Pilots http://legalflyer.com/

GordonArber

PostMon Nov 05, 2018 6:34 pm

Thank you for the replies guys. I really appreciate it!

Sligeach

PostTue Nov 06, 2018 2:48 pm

Here is a mobile one we just built:

Using all BlackMagic products and the new ATEM TV studio 4K.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris McClement

PostMon Nov 12, 2018 9:52 pm

These guys have a great portable setup:

/edit: I should be more specific. That's their latest ultraportable setup. I used their previous video
as a springboard for my own setup.

I have a 6U 19" rack case from gear4music. It's a hard case that measures 50cm x 33cm x 22cm (when open; 38cm deep (instead of 22cm) when the covers are attached).

In it I've put:

BMD TV Studio HD
HyperDeck mini
2x Ultrastudio HD Mini
Smartview Duo
Intel Skull NUC (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... tions.html)
3x teranex mini rack shelves

1 of the ultrastudios attaches via thunderbolt to a MacBook Pro that runs MimoLive (for titles etc). I use both SDI outputs on it to send key and fill to the vision mixer.

The 2nd ultrastudio attaches via thunderbolt to the NUC. Program output from the vision mixer gets sent to this over SDI. The NUC is dedicated to streaming only. It can comfortably stream at 1080p30 or 720p60. I use Xsplit for this purpose.

The hyperdeck mini records my show.

Smartview Duo is set up with the NUC screen on the left and vision mixer's multiview on the right.

The above setup doesn't require additional cooling as long as the ambient temperature in the room isn't too high.

Kevin Copeland

PostThu Jan 17, 2019 4:23 pm

Gordon,

Many people are using ProPresenter with the alpha module for lower thirds and that works great. Another less expensive solution is to use the SimpleSupers.com app that uses PowerPoint on Windows as a character generator. It generates an alpha channel so you can have key and fill into your Upstream or DSK. You have animations and transparency. We use it at our church every week.

Andrew Martin

PostSat Jan 19, 2019 11:41 am

MambaFiber.com wrote:The extra aux outputs of the 1, 2, and 4 M/E products can make it much easier to generate feeds for your multiple destinations.

Adding to this

The TVS HD range have an additional 4 program outs. ( Intended as returns for BMD camera control) but if ur not running with BMD cameras these can be used to feed additional recorders, streamers etc. All be it fixed as program out.

From my mobile using Tapatalk

GordonArber

PostWed Sep 18, 2019 4:02 pm

Does any of you guys have good suggestions for a streaming service with the use of black magic Atem 4K?

GordonArber

PostWed Sep 25, 2019 7:50 pm

I think this is what we are settling on. Please let me know if this is compatible or not.

1) Three 4k cameras with SDI -->

2) Blackmagic Design ATEM Television Studio Pro 4K Live Production Switcher with SDI (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... o_pro.html) --->

3) Blackmagic Design UltraStudio 4K Extreme 3 with USB C (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... eme_3.html) --->

4) Macbook Pro (Livestream Studio) --->

5) Livestream.com

My only concern is that Livestream says "The following Blackmagic Design products connect via USB 2.0 and therefore do not work with Livestream Studio:

- ATEM Television Studio" https://help.livestream.com/hc/en-us/ar ... eam-Studio

However, I think I should be ok since that Studio Pro 4k will connect to the Extreme 3 that is compatible. Am I correct in my thinking?

Jack Fairley

PostWed Sep 25, 2019 7:58 pm

GordonArber wrote:My only concern is that Livestream says "The following Blackmagic Design products connect via USB 2.0 and therefore do not work with Livestream Studio:

- ATEM Television Studio" https://help.livestream.com/hc/en-us/ar ... eam-Studio

However, I think I should be ok since that Studio Pro 4k will connect to the Extreme 3 that is compatible. Am I correct in my thinking?

Yes, that note is referring to the old BMD switchers that supported video capture over USB. Not important if you're using a supported I/O device.

Is there a reason you're using that specific UltraStudio?
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

GordonArber

PostWed Sep 25, 2019 8:00 pm

I am very much new to this, so pardon me if I sound ignorant.

However, isn't that the only Ultrastudio that will stream/record 4k for us?

Jack Fairley

PostWed Sep 25, 2019 10:21 pm

No. The UltraStudio 4K Mini is much cheaper, and will capture a single 4K input from your switcher.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

GordonArber

PostWed Sep 25, 2019 10:23 pm

It wasn't listed on the livestream.com post, so I guess I was nervous about it, but it does have USBC so it should be fine.

Jack Fairley

PostWed Sep 25, 2019 10:29 pm

It was announced in August, so it may not be shipping yet, actually. You could also use a DeckLink Mini Recorder 4K in a Thunderbolt PCIe chassis, such as those sold by Sonnet, which would still be a lot cheaper.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

GordonArber

PostWed Sep 25, 2019 11:39 pm

Thanks man,
We'll probably go with the mini.

Really appreciate your help!

GordonArber

PostThu Sep 26, 2019 3:18 pm

Heres a couple more questions:

1) Does anyone know if the Blackmagic Design Teranex Mini Rack Shelf will work to mount the Blackmagic Design UltraStudio 4K Mini in a standard rack? https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... ml/reviews

2) We are looking to purchase the Blackmagic Design Smart Videohub CleanSwitch 12 x 12 6G-SDI to display the switcher sdi feed in house. I noticed that the Videohub is only 6G-SDI, will that auto convert 12gsdi?

Jack Fairley

PostThu Sep 26, 2019 6:43 pm

GordonArber wrote:Heres a couple more questions:

1) Does anyone know if the Blackmagic Design Teranex Mini Rack Shelf will work to mount the Blackmagic Design UltraStudio 4K Mini in a standard rack? https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... ml/reviews

2) We are looking to purchase the Blackmagic Design Smart Videohub CleanSwitch 12 x 12 6G-SDI to display the switcher sdi feed in house. I noticed that the Videohub is only 6G-SDI, will that auto convert 12gsdi?

1: Yes, it's the same form factor.

2: No, it will not scale/convert 12G signals down. If you want higher bandwidth than 2160p30, you need a 12G router.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

GordonArber

PostThu Sep 26, 2019 6:50 pm

So if I am understanding correctly...
If I run SDI from our Design UltraStudio 4K Mini to Blackmagic Design Smart Videohub CleanSwitch 12 x 12 6G-SDI then run that to our 1080p TVs. Will it just not show anything on the TV?

Jack Fairley

PostThu Sep 26, 2019 7:02 pm

GordonArber wrote:So if I am understanding correctly...
If I run SDI from our Design UltraStudio 4K Mini to Blackmagic Design Smart Videohub CleanSwitch 12 x 12 6G-SDI then run that to our 1080p TVs. Will it just not show anything on the TV?

Unless the TVs can scale UHD inputs down to HD, they will not work.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

GordonArber

PostThu Sep 26, 2019 7:05 pm

Would it work if I put the 12g Decimator between the two do you think? https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... erter.html

Jack Fairley

PostThu Sep 26, 2019 7:06 pm

Yes, if you scale the signal to HD before distributing it with the router, it will work fine. Many of us are eagerly awaiting the 12G Decimator.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Return to Live Production