Are you happy with the ATEM TV Studio Pro 4K

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

JeffVasquez

Are you happy with the ATEM TV Studio Pro 4K

PostThu Nov 15, 2018 1:34 am

I have been holding off on the purchase of one of these bad boys because there are so few reviews on line.

Please tell me about the good the bad and the ugly features of this unit if you own one.

Specifically are the new chroma keyers amazing? I tried to get a demo at NAB but they said that it could not be configured there to demo. Go figure....

Tell me something that you regret about the purchase as well so I understand the flaws. Please.

Thank You

Xtreemtec

Re: Are you happy with the ATEM TV Studio Pro 4K

PostThu Nov 15, 2018 2:13 pm

I dont do a lot of greenscreen, But most Atems have a bit limited greenscreen setup. It will work if very well lit and subject has not to much reflections..

THe greenscreen engine in the Atem 4ME Broadcast has a lot more options and i was able to demonstrate a much better result for a client with the 4ME broadcast then i was able to produce with there 1ME production studio 4K.

The 4ME has a much more advanced chroma keyer settings. I don't know if the Studio pro 4K has the simple or the bigger version..
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

JeffVasquez

PostThu Nov 15, 2018 7:14 pm

Ok, just called BM and spoke with an engineer. The chroma keyer is the same in all atem products. Maybe the settings in the 4ME give you more precise control. I don't know. I would be willing to pay an extra 2k for a clean chromakey solution. Maybe we will see this someday.

Dave Del Vecchio

PostFri Nov 16, 2018 2:21 am

Blackmagic calls the improved chroma keying in the 4 M/E Broadcast Studio ATEM Advanced Chroma Keyer. Here is the blurb about it on the product marketing page:
Introducing the new ATEM Advanced Chroma Keyer!

All ATEM switchers feature built in chroma, luminance, linear and pattern keyers, however the new advanced ATEM 4 M/E Broadcast Studio 4K model now features a new next generation advanced chroma keyer that lets you pull incredibly clean keys for truly professional, broadcast quality live compositing. The advanced keyer features adjustable on-screen controls for selecting and sampling a region of color from the image. This new keyer also features foreground, background and edge adjustment controls, and chroma correction tools for spill and flare suppression so you can fine tune the key.
The ATEM Television Studio Pro 4K also includes the ATEM Advanced Chroma Keyer (it's the only ATEM model other than the 4 M/E that has it right now). This is one of the features that distinguish the TVS Pro 4K from the ATEM Television Studio Pro HD. The key features that the ATEM TV Studio Pro 4K has over the HD model are:
  • 4K video support
  • resolution/frame rate converter on all inputs
  • advanced chroma keyer
  • Fairlight audio mixer
Otherwise the two models are very similar so many of the reviews for the ATEM Television Studio Pro HD would also apply to the 4K model.

JeffVasquez

PostFri Nov 16, 2018 3:42 am

Well that is good news. I will have to find a dealer who can demonstrate this.

Brett Casadonte

PostMon Nov 19, 2018 2:13 pm

I use the ATEM TV Studio Pro 4k for a number of smaller live productions, and it has worked very well. Just this past week, I did a production where we were integrating social media feeds which were delivered via a laptop. The laptop display had an animated lower third that scrolled through social media feeds, which we displayed full-screen on the laptop in 1920x1080 resolution on a chroma green background. The chroma key pulled flawlessly (as one would expect, since it was computer generated), and worked very well.

While this is only one data point (we do relatively little green screen work in live production), I can at least attest to the 4k's ability to pull a good chroma key in this environment. Overall, I have no complaints with the 4k, but do wish that it had 1-2 more aux ports, and as a true all-in-one solution, it would be great if BM could add a video encoder to support live IP video streaming without having to use additional hardware..

PS: The new audio functionality is a welcomed and much needed update, and I'm looking forward to see it supported in BM's next generation of 1 M/E, 2 M/E and other vision mixers.
Brett Casadonte
Founder and Techinical Director - GlobeStream Media
http://www.globestreammedia.com
Live Production: on-location and REMI using LiveU
ATEM 2 M/E, 1 M/E, TV Studio Pro 4k, BM URSA Broadcast, & Studio/Micro Studio Cameras

Return to Live Production