Village Board Meeting Recording Setup

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

joshgreenburg

Village Board Meeting Recording Setup

PostTue Jan 22, 2019 2:15 am

Hello everyone!
I'm the IT guy at a local Village Township and we're looking to record our Village Board Meetings to be posted online for residents. I've spend quite a bit of time doing some research and eventually came across BlackMagic as a great solution. I've looked through the hardware and checked quite a few online resources but basically I'm looking for confirmation on what I'm trying to do will work before we spend the money on the solution.

Basically we want 3 cameras all ceiling mounted and set to record for these meetings. Currently there is a PA system in use so I will be sourcing the audio from that. I'm hoping to get 3 camera feeds direct into a workstation and fed into OBS or possibly Wirecast Pro. Initially we aren't planning on doing ISO recording with the cameras or live-steaming directly but it's something we may consider in the future. So far this is my part list I've put together to get this working:

3x Blackmagic 4K Micro Studio Cameras
3x undetermined MFT lenses
3x Blackmagic Expansion Cables(for external power)
3x 6G-SDI mini BNC to BNC Female adapters
~200ft of Belden 4694R RG6 12 GHz 4K UHD Video Cable
6x Belden BNC Compression Connectors for 4694R Coax
1x StreamDeck 6 Button programmable control Panel
3x upright ceiling camera mounts
1x HP Z4 Workstation, XEON W-2133 3.6 GHZ, 16 GB, Quadro P4000, 512GB NVME + 2TB HDD
3x Blackmagic DeckLink Mini Recorder 4K Low Profile PCIe Capture Cards

What I'm hoping is that we can have the cameras powered remotely via 12V adapters running to the Expansion cables. Then have the 6G-SDI mini BNC cables adapted to BNC, then connected to Coax rated for 12G SDI as I was unable to find 6G SDI rated coax. And the other end of that cable hooked directly into the DeckLink Mini Recorder PCIe capture cards, one for each camera. From there I'm wanting to select the cameras as a video source in OBS to setup a scene. From there the streamdeck would be hotkey'd for starting/stopping recordings and switching scenes to display different camera configurations. As for color grading, I'll be testing LUT profiles with OBS but I think we might just stick with Davinci Resolve for a most likely overall better quality depending on the workflow

Will this work? Is there anything I'm missing? Is there an easier way to do this?

Kevin Copeland

Re: Village Board Meeting Recording Setup

PostTue Jan 22, 2019 7:00 pm

Josh,

My initial thoughts:

The Micro studio cameras would work well and can be configured with a PTZ set up, remote lens control and shading accomplished with a Blackmagic Design ATEM switcher. You may need 2 SDI cables to each camera, but I'm not sure about that. I also would be concerned about the cost of that set-up with lenses and PTZ. Lenses are the real cost here. It may be better to get an all-in-one PTZ solution like Sony, Panasonic or Marshall with a controller and presets.

I used Wirecast Pro with a Decklink Duo 2 which gave 4 SDI inputs. I had the top of the line $5k, Dell Alienware Area 51 gaming computer. I had a lot of trouble with dropped frames with Wirecast and trying to record iso feeds. That's a lot of processing for the computer and Wirecast to handle all at once. It was very frustrating, especially after spending the money.

Hard drive speed is key. You would need a fast RAID system with 7200 rpm drives or fast SSD drives and about 3 or 4 drives striped in the RAID to make it all work. You'll need to back up your huge amounts of data. Redundancy needed in case of drive failure.

I eventually went with BMD 2 M/E Production Studio 4k. Hyperdeck Studio Mini recorder/players for clean feed and ISO recordings (Using the BMD UpDownCross to convert to 1080p for recording H264). Teradek VidiU Pro for streaming and recording the dirty feed. We had a broadcast panel for switching although I use the software only at our church and it still works great. I do love the broadcast panel though.

This was a fabulous set-up. I think you would save yourself some headaches by using a proven hardware solution for switching and ISO recording. Video switching would be a breeze with the ATEM switchers. You won't have to worry about computer lag, hard drive speed, etc. You could always add Hyperdecks later. I used the AUX outputs on the ATEM to feed my recorders and other confidence/teleprompter monitors for the host.

That's my 2 cents.
kc

joshgreenburg

PostTue Jan 22, 2019 8:49 pm

Thanks for that info!
Yes if we do PTZ we'll look at providing 2 SDI runs to the cameras each. I think we'll avoid ISO recording then and stick with recording and streaming the dirty feed live and I'll be doing some research into the ATEM Television Studio HD unit to see how we'll get everything tied together and lessen the dependency of the workstation for handling the live production.

Harry Parker

PostTue Jan 22, 2019 11:00 pm

Hi Josh. If you are not absolutely set on using BMD cameras I would suggest you look at Marshall PTZ's for your setup. The CV620 is a HD camera that sends 3GSDI and can be easily controlled with the PTC-200. We use one of these in our auditorium, in addition to 2x manned cameras, and it provides a side shot of stage and an audience view for Q&A sessions. You can save up to 128 preset positions which can include unique focus, gain, zoom, etc settings for each.

http://www.marshall-usa.com/cameras/CV620-WH2/index.php
http://www.marshall-usa.com/hardware-ac ... TC-200.php

Return to Live Production