Studio cameras Timecode ?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Xtreemtec

Studio cameras Timecode ?

PostFri Apr 19, 2019 12:46 pm

Yes i'm not the all knowing and also do have questions sometimes :lol: :lol:

A client of mine want to Sync up 6 Studio Camera 4K.
So frame sync can be done by return SDI and all lock them to the return signal. Give a proper SDI return signal with the SAME framerate as the cameras are running and and it "Should" be frame sync or as close as possible...

But now he says what about the Timecode of those cameras (For recording / embedded TC in the recorded material. ) He is going to use capture cards.

I don't know the Studio camera all to well.. So digged up some forum posts about Sync issues and studio cameras..
Found: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=53496&p=308455&hilit=studio+camera+timecode#p308455

So my main question is. Does the Studio camera output any embedded timecode? Is it fixed to 0 or is it free running TC? Or does it take the TC from the PGM and re-embeds that to the SDI out?

Manual does not even contain the word Timecode or TC.

EDIT>> I wonder.. The SDI control protocol has a way of setting the "Real Time Clock" of cameras. does this apply to the Studio cameras ? And if so, is this used as source for the embedded TC if there is TC in the sdi output?
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Ian Morrish

Re: Studio cameras Timecode ?

PostSat Apr 20, 2019 2:16 am

Just tested my Studio 4k camera with an UltraScope, and no timecode out. Doesn't matter what the sync reference is. Ultrascope can see the timecode from the ATEM, but that is not passed through the camera output via return feed.
Regards,
Ian Morrish
Video Integrated Scripting Environment
(Windows PowerShell with ATEM driver + more)
https://ianmorrish.wordpress.com

Xtreemtec

Re: Studio cameras Timecode ?

PostSat Apr 20, 2019 8:49 am

Thanks Ian, Then i have to advice the client to get some external embedders to add timecode into the video. :roll:
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Return to Live Production