Camera 6.4 Update

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Knut Bussian

Camera 6.4 Update

PostMon Jun 03, 2019 6:25 pm

Well it‘s getting somewhat ridiculous now.

Did somebody install the update already? Well, you better don‘t. First I thought: „FINALLY!“
Finally BMD took care of all the talkback issues. But then:

I have checked with two cameras with two different cables two different fiber converters as well as two different camera Fiber converters. The result remains the same:
With Camera 6.4 installed, the fiber connection is lost as well as the power(!) after a short period of time. The two LEDs on the camera fiber camera converter (power and fiber) turn red (fiber is flashing) and the camera shuts down. Funny thing though: when the camera shut down talkback is working somehow - before it didn‘t.

I downgraded one camera setup to 5.1.1 and the connection is stable. I‘ve made a video of the problem:

https://vimeo.com/user17687847/review/340043160/f391e7c4bc

„Kam 3“ has got Camera 6.4
„Kam 2“ 5.1.1

What is going on?

Knut

Robert Schemitsch

Re: Camera 6.4 Update

PostTue Jun 04, 2019 8:48 am

Hi!

I have used two Cameras on 6.4 last weekend without any issues. I have an Atem Studio Converter 4K combined with a Riedel System, so talkback was working for me before update 6.4.
Have you updatet all party of your system?

Best regards!

Knut Bussian

PostTue Jun 04, 2019 8:53 am

Hi Robert,

I've updated the Studio Fiber Converter and the Camera Fiber Converter. That's all.

Are there any more parts to update?

Knut

Robert Schemitsch

PostTue Jun 04, 2019 2:50 pm

Which firmware is your Camera?
Maybe try to update again. Look what happens if you plug the usb in again and start the camera setup.

Knut Bussian

PostTue Jun 04, 2019 4:41 pm

I think one of my Camera Fiber Converters died for whatever reason during the update process since the other camera chain is working after the update.

Already contacted BMD Europe. Let’s see what they come up with.

Knut

Tim Schumann

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jun 20, 2019 3:47 am

It states in the manual and in the readme notes that you need to power from the camera when updating the Camera Fiber Converter and not from SMPTE fiber. Did you power the camera, and the fiber converter from the 12V URSA power supply when you ran the update software?

If not please try again with that as your power source. Powering via SMPTE during the update will not work as the Studio Converter's safety shut-down mechanism thinks that it has detected a problem and shuts it down.

Knut Bussian

PostThu Jun 20, 2019 11:27 am

Yes, I did the update (exactly like the previous one) using XLR power from the original power supply. As you can see in the video the converter updated, but after a short period of time it starts to flash the fiber LED in red while the power LED turns to solid red.
I already sent the unit to repair.

One other user reported the same problem but seems to have overcome the issue by using both fiber and xlr power. 2 out of 4 units had shown this behavior. But as I said: this has been reported to me.

Knut

Return to Live Production