I've lost control over focus on our Studio Camera HD's

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

pmcdonald

I've lost control over focus on our Studio Camera HD's

PostTue Jul 16, 2019 6:39 am

We're having a curious issue with our 3 x Studio Camera HD units and our ATEM Television Studio Pro HD. We were able to control focus as well as exposure and image via the ATEM. Now, only the exposure and imaging controls work (iris, WB, gain, levels, db, etc), no focus.

The cameras also won't autofocus, either by pressing the button on the ATEM or in the software. The focus button on the camera also doesn't trigger the autofocus. It definitely used to, because I hit it all the time when trying to turn the focus peaking on and off!

The lenses are Olympus 14-40's, which don't remote zoom but should remote focus. To confirm, they used to remote focus but no longer do. The only hardware change was a faulty ATEM was switched out for a new unit. (Its issue related to dead XLR inputs and distorted talkback.)

The cameras all have unique numbers (5,6,7) and are connected to the ATEM via single SDI cables for both input and output signals.

We also have Manfrotto LANC controllers that we've been waiting on handle adapters for. These too no longer control focus.

What's going on? I can't for the life of me understand where our focus control has gone. Thanks for reading.

Denny Smith

Re: I've lost control over focus on our Studio Camera HD's

PostTue Jul 16, 2019 6:47 am

Try a different lens, to rule out any lens issue.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

pmcdonald

PostWed Jul 17, 2019 12:48 am

Good call. I'll try my m43 tele tomorrow.

RichardJolly

PostWed Jul 17, 2019 8:06 am

I've experienced Panasonic 14-42 and 45-175 remote zoom & focus lenses getting "stuck" out of focus on BMD Studio and Micro Studio and needing to be reset by a press of the lens release button. Another issue has been the inability on occasion to regain focus remotely after zooming to an extreme of the range, so having to step zoom and focus. Apart from that they have worked consistently. I have 6 x BMD cameras, 3 x 45-175, 2 x 14-42.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

pmcdonald

PostThu Aug 01, 2019 10:22 pm

Update: I finally got around to trying my Panasonic 30-100 MFT lens. It works fine: responds to autofocus button on the Studio camera, can be controlled remotely via the ATEM, and focus and iris also work via the Manfrotto LANC controller.

So there's something about these Olympus 12-40 lenses. I swear I have remote focused them in the past! To confirm, I have control of the iris, levels, gain and shutter with the 12-40 via the ATEM, but no focus.

The only thing that's changed is a warranty swap or repair on the ATEM a few months back due to faulty ports and a firmware update to v8.

pmcdonald

PostFri Aug 02, 2019 4:02 am

Doh, clutch mechanism on the lenses had been triggered so they didn't respond to the focus commands! Mea culpa ... shout out to the excellent Blackmagic support in Australia for their patience illuminating the cause of the issue.

JoelKarr

PostThu Jun 25, 2020 4:28 pm

What was the solution to fix?
I have the Olympus M.Zuiko 40-150mm on a Studio 4k that has stopped responding to focus.

Thanks
Joel

Return to Live Production