Teranex vs ImagePro

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

ronaldbeal

Teranex vs ImagePro

PostMon Jul 15, 2013 11:16 pm

I work in live concert production, touring with large stadium and arena concert tours. We have used Folsom ImagePro, ImagePro HD, and ImagePro 3G for years as the "go to" scan converter, mainly for converting DVI to SDI/HD-SDI, and vice versa. Usually we will have a scan converter convert the DVI from a computer based media server to some flavor of SDI to send to the video switcher. Often there will be another scan converter just before the video wall processor, since many of them prefer DVI in.
On paper.. it looks like the Teranex 3D can fill all of these rolls, (and do a bit more), and at more than one-third the price of an ImagePro. That brings me to some questions:

1. Am I missing anything?... Is there something limited with the Teranex that isn't obvious on paper?

2. Since most gear I deal with is DVI in or out, are there any issues I might need to expect using dvi to hdmi converters?

3. How does the Teranex deal with EDID... I searched the manual, and found little info.

4. What is its throughput latency? do any processes add to latency?

Thanks in advance for any input.
RB

Chad

Re: Teranex vs ImagePro

PostTue Jul 16, 2013 1:11 am

You are missing the fact that the Teranex handles YUV colorspace only in SMPTE 292 formats. Not all computers and wall processors like those formats, so make sure yours do. It also adds approximately 4 frames of delay.

Brian Hancock

PostTue Jul 16, 2013 4:05 am

for even less the price the dvi extender and hd link work to extend most any and all resolutions and color spaces over coax ... now you send into another device you will need to comply to standard video resolutions

there are also other much cheaper than folsom options from other companies ...

ronaldbeal

PostWed Jul 17, 2013 9:35 pm

Thanks for the info
I indeed missed the YUV colorspace only.... C'est la Vie!

RB

Return to Live Production