Using a Mini Cross Converter with ATEM TVS HD

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

cprice

Using a Mini Cross Converter with ATEM TVS HD

PostWed Oct 09, 2019 6:15 pm

Hey everyone!

We've had an ATEM TVS HD for a little less than a year. We've been dealing with some time-wasting issues for that long and now have more budget to purchase more some equipment.

This is the issue:

We are using multiple Canon cameras (XF100, XF300, 5D mark 3) and they all output via HDMI at 60i for a framerate and that's not changeable. Our ATEM TVS HD settings are set to 1080i60 so the cameras will work with it.

We then capture into Media Express with the program SDI out to a PCI Deck Link card also at 60i but in AVI format. (I have a few other file formats I can pick from but the AVI has given me the best quality)

I then have to run the AVI through handbrake to convert it to a file I can take into Adobe Premiere.

I deinterlace and convert it to an H.264 codec file.

Can I put the Cross Converter between the ATEM and the Decklink to convert our program video to a 29.97p frame rate and get more options on file format capturing in Media Express? Or do I need to get the H.264 converter as well to avoid using Handbrake?

Thanks!

Xtreemtec

Re: Using a Mini Cross Converter with ATEM TVS HD

PostWed Oct 09, 2019 6:42 pm

You can do much simpler. ;) And FREE!!
Download OBS Studio. https://obsproject.com/

You can record there in H264 directly without any post conversion etc. ;) Then import the recordings direct to Premiere.

MediaExpress is a great tool but only records lossless. Gives you huge files
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 1M/E 4K, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Hyperdeck Studio Mini, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

cprice

PostWed Oct 09, 2019 7:09 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:You can do much simpler. ;) And FREE!!
Download OBS Studio. https://obsproject.com/

You can record there in H264 directly without any post conversion etc. ;) Then import the recordings direct to Premiere.

MediaExpress is a great tool but only records lossless. Gives you huge files

For some reason I figured you would be the one to respond right away! I think you responded to my last posts about a year ago too hah!

Thanks for the input. I know I can deinterlace in Premiere and hopefully, this cuts down the huge file size. I've been waiting 2 hours for this handbrake conversion to finish up (big waste of time).

Have you used OBS to record into before? I know it can crash sometimes, but what programs don't? I would just hate to lose a recording if it crashes. Haven't experienced that with Media Express in the past year.

If we have the budget set aside for equipment, would the H.264 recorder be the way to go with Media Express and then just deinterlace in the Premiere?

Xtreemtec

PostWed Oct 09, 2019 7:14 pm

No i don't think the H264 recorder is the way to go.

We occasionally use OBS. But i use Vmix weekly. I'm very happy with vmix, as long as the PC can handle it.

And the HD version is under a 100 dollars i think. Which will give you loads of options.. Even de-interlace right away in software before recording.

But OBS is cool too.. Only the user interface of Vmix is much better. And loads of more options in there..

But give Vmix a try.. You can test is for free full license for 60 days ( by head) If you happy buy the HD version.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 1M/E 4K, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Hyperdeck Studio Mini, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

cprice

PostWed Oct 09, 2019 7:27 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:No i don't think the H264 recorder is the way to go.

We occasionally use OBS. But i use Vmix weekly. I'm very happy with vmix, as long as the PC can handle it.

And the HD version is under a 100 dollars i think. Which will give you loads of options.. Even de-interlace right away in software before recording.

But OBS is cool too.. Only the user interface of Vmix is much better. And loads of more options in there..

But give Vmix a try.. You can test is for free full license for 60 days ( by head) If you happy buy the HD version.

Okay! thanks for the input. I'll do some more testing and research!

Roman Pytkin Pekarek

PostWed Oct 09, 2019 10:55 pm

Back to your original question .. Yes .. U can use crossconverter for this ..
http://www.media-planet.sk
http://www.stonepp.tv
http://tally.pytkin.sk

Return to Live Production