Embed Audio from the Macbook into the ATEM

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

BlackMagicBroadcast60

Embed Audio from the Macbook into the ATEM

PostMon Jul 15, 2013 11:21 pm

Is it possible to embed audio coming from a Macbook Pro (Video playback) via the ATEM TVS (outputting that to a tv display)

I tired using Blackmagic Media Express to select Camera 2, (computer source) to output audio, like if you were to do with a camera with embedded audio. This did not work however.

Liam Kennedy

Re: Embed Audio from the Macbook into the ATEM

PostMon Jul 15, 2013 11:54 pm

Exactly how are you connecting the Macbook to the TVS? Is it using an HDMI port on the Macbook? If so.. then audio should be routed to that automatically - you don't need to configure anything within Media Express. Although there may be some other setting on OSx to route the audio via the HDMI port rather than the internal speakers (I run on Windows)

Then in the ATEM Software Control you would view the Audio tab. For that HDMI input you should see the audio meters are showing available levels. You can then select that audio to be inserted in to the mix being sent to the Program Out.
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

BlackMagicBroadcast60

PostTue Jul 16, 2013 12:19 am

Thanks Liam.

I connect the Macbook to the ATEM via the UltraStudio mini monitor. Not sure if this method will limited audio.

Liam Kennedy

PostTue Jul 16, 2013 12:46 am

BlackMagicBroadcast60 wrote:I connect the Macbook to the ATEM via the UltraStudio mini monitor. Not sure if this method will limited audio.

OK. So you are (of course) playing out the video via Media Express then?

Have you checked the audio tab in the ATEM Software Control? That is how you control which audio from which input (camera/ultrastudio mini) gets fed to the Program Out.

The other easy test is to connect an HDMI monitor to the Ultrastudio. You will then at least be able to hear if the audio is present before you do anything with the TVS.

Darrell Sim

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jul 16, 2013 1:48 am

Hi,

Are you playing back a supported clip in Media Express and using the UltraStudio Mini Monitor to send it to the ATEM? If so, it should be able to work, you'll only need to check if the right audio tracks are selected accordingly.

If you actually require an input from the MacBook to the ATEM, I'm afraid that the UltraStudio Mini Monitor might not be the right device to do the job. Like Liam mentioned, if your MacBook has a HDMI Out, you can use that, if not, you'll need to purchase a Displayport to DVI and probably a DVI Extender to output your MacBook to your ATEM.

It'll be ideal if you could provide more details of your workflow/setup as this will allow us to have a better understanding of your requirement.
Darrell Sim
Support Engineer
Blackmagic Design Asia
support-asia@blackmagicdesign.com

BlackMagicBroadcast60

PostTue Jul 16, 2013 11:43 pm

Thank you for the reply.

Previously, I was using a HDMI cable to output my content from a Macbook to the ATEM, but it never played as good as it should (different frame-rate and resolution) The UltraStudio mini monitor works perfectly. It allows more options when outputting.

My workflow consists of 2 Macbook pro's one for video play-out and the other for graphic overlay (graphic overlay plays out via HDMI cable) I would have mentioned this previously in my other posts, were I use a software called OnTheAir by Softron. Softon OnTheAir is basically outputting my video content into the TVS. I apologizes for mentioning Media Express at all. I was ment to say how I tried to configure the audio setting from the ATEM control software from Camera 1, 2 etc.

Thank you.

Liam Kennedy

PostTue Jul 16, 2013 11:49 pm

OK. Glad that is cleared up.

So... can you answer the questions I asked?

1) have you tried an HDMI monitor directly connected to the mini monitor (any audio present there? If it isn't... then the problem is on the computer side of things... and nothing to do with the ATEM)?
2) please describe a little more about what you are seeing in the audio tab of the ATEM Software Control (do you see any "levels" to indicate the presence of audio on that input)?

BlackMagicBroadcast60

PostSun Jul 21, 2013 11:01 pm

My apologies for the very late reply, been busy with work.

Anyways, I did some testing with ATEM TVS and audio, everything works great. Audio runs straight through to the TV display.

Just another issue thats off topic is, trying to create graphics to suit 1080i 50hz (PAL). I can't seem to get this fluid motion in graphics to suit my workflow settings. -Graphics created using AE-

Darrell Sim

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Jul 22, 2013 6:16 am

Hi,

Could I ask you to elaborate more about your question on 'fluid motion in graphics'? Are you referring to exporting to the ATEM Media Pool and putting it up on air as an animated graphic or running through a computer to your ATEM TVS as a graphics machine?
Darrell Sim
Support Engineer
Blackmagic Design Asia
support-asia@blackmagicdesign.com

BlackMagicBroadcast60

PostMon Jul 22, 2013 9:35 am

Darrell Sim wrote: running through a computer to your ATEM TVS as a graphics machine?

I will be basically running graphics to the ATEM, using a computer as the source for my graphics. I was told that my graphics need to be "upper field" which I don't fully understand (something to do with 1080i?). My fixed workflow will be 1080i 50 (PAL via a TV display 1080i 50hz).

Thank you.

BlackMagicBroadcast60

PostSun Aug 04, 2013 6:32 am

Finally have fixed the solution for smooth playback of my graphics use 50fps "upper fields" for 1080i50. :)

Return to Live Production