Help Bad Audio recording

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

zonuna

Help Bad Audio recording

PostWed Oct 16, 2019 5:12 pm

I started using my ATEM 4M/E Broadcast studio for 2 live events, on my 3rd live event I used 1080p 50 on ATEM and link up with Hyperdeck Mini with H.264 Medium settings (I have used this before with success)
After the event I play the file on computer and the Audio is terrible, its like pitching up (speeding up) the whole Audio with dirty effect, the Vocals if people are kind of funny.

While recording, the sound coming out from the monitor seemed fine, but playing back the recording was terrible. Any solution .. I`ve also tried different format, but doesnt solve the problem.

One thing i notice before the event was that the AUDIO Bar (level bar) from ATEM multimonitor keeps freezing and hang and stopping the audio,(Without affecting the Video) but after Rebooting the ATEM everything is back to normal.
I there any way to Factory reset the ATEM and Hyperdeck mini ... if it might be the solution

Xtreemtec

Re: Help Bad Audio recording

PostWed Oct 16, 2019 6:05 pm

No there are no Factory resets in BMD devices.

The Hyperdeck mini tends to have multiple issues with the audio in H264 mode. But normally only reveals when uploaded to YT or FB that the audio becomes static noise. This seems to be a different issue.

Can you re-create the issue at the office?
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

zonuna

PostWed Oct 16, 2019 6:17 pm

I`ve notice an Audio Freeze during test run but does not effect the video ... after reboot everything was back to normal, can it be the switcher hardware problem ?

Xtreemtec

PostWed Oct 16, 2019 6:39 pm

Not sure if the mixer is faulty. We have the 4ME broadcast for 3 years now. Never had problems with the Audio.

Try to select a different codec and record a few minutes. Then check how the audio is on that recording.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

zonuna

PostThu Oct 17, 2019 3:17 am

Thanks ... i`ll try and let you know

zonuna

PostThu Oct 17, 2019 5:55 pm

I did an experiment today by converting the SdI output to Analog by mini converter and output it to TV, the Audio is horrible "Robotic sound" Note that I did Not input any XLR or any other input

Platon Kavvadias

PostFri Oct 18, 2019 6:54 am

Notes for your next event:

1. Always record the audio you get from the sound engineer before it ends in your BMD, as a backup in a seperate device (I use a Tascam)
2. Always monitor your audio with headphones. What you hear now may change in the next minute. Especially if you are not controlling the audio.

rogersuski

PostFri Oct 18, 2019 9:13 pm

Is your ATEM set to operate in Level A or Level B when you're running it at the 1080p50?

Your testing methods are a bit unclear.

You took the SDI output of (which device) and converted to analog and heard crappy sound. Was this the recording playing back through the Hyperdeck? Or was simply the output of your switcher?

Was there any audio present during your test, other than the robotic sound? (embedded from other sources?)

Do you have any possibility for signal loopback? IE a switcher output coming back into an input?

zonuna

PostSat Oct 19, 2019 4:47 pm

To make it simple I`ve tested the switcher one at the time (many times with different options)

1. Input Analog RCA and then XLR one at the time (No other inputs or output) convert the SDI output to Analog by Mini SDI to Analog (BM) then connect to TV.

2. Connect video camera SDI to ATEM SDI in (No other inputs) then output to converted to 1.) Analog as mention above 2.) SDI output is converted to HDMI then to TV

3. Same input Camera But Analog XLR Output channel 1&2 to Audio mixer then lo speaker ...

Above all are NOT Recorded But Live sound

All output the same Funny Robotic voice and sound

I have arranged to send the ATEM back to the dealer as the warranty still void and that this is only the 3rd time i had used the unit.

Return to Live Production