Archiving on the Hyperdeck Studio Pro

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

CameraDude

Archiving on the Hyperdeck Studio Pro

PostWed Jul 17, 2013 10:27 pm

Hello everyone...not sure this belongs in this category...but here goes...

I have a live production setup that includes 5 Hyperdeck Studio Pros. 4 are for iso on cameras and the last is for the live switched feed to be recorded.

My question is...I am shooting a concert tour with shows that are about 2 hours long each. I'm trying to find a cost effective way to archive all raw iso camera footage and the live switched footage so I can dump off the hard drives and reuse at the next shows...30 shows in total.

So if I have done my math right it looks like this...

5 sources x 2 hours = 10 hours of footage...10 hours of 720p ProRes 422 = ~1,250gb per show....

any ideas??

The tour is rolling in tour bus and support vehicles and I am worried that a traditional 4 TB external drive could fail during the tour. Is there a better way of archiving that will all for editing raw footage at completion of tour??

Thanks in advanced

Cory
CameraDude

Liam Kennedy

Re: Archiving on the Hyperdeck Studio Pro

PostThu Jul 18, 2013 1:16 am

I will never ever delete footage off the source drive until I have it backed up on to two hard drives.
At least then you will have some redundancy.

You need a fast dock... plus fast external drives. Do you use MAC or PC?

If MAC - then maybe the Multidock for it's Thunderbolt connectivity (not sure if this works with Windows/Thunderbolt yet). That device is a little pricey for my taste... and I run Windows anyway.

Then a good external Dock for your large capacity 4TB hard drives. In the PC/windows world I use a 4-way SATA / USB3 dock that allows me to transfer from my SSD's to regular 3.5" Hard drives all in one box.
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

CameraDude

PostThu Jul 18, 2013 1:38 am

Thanks for the reply....

I am Mac based and yes I already have a pretty decent dock that I am using for transfers to my editing system. It has thunderbolt connectivity :)

I guess my concern is traveling with a 4TB drive or even 2 of them on the road...and the bumps and such that the road would bring...The possibility of data loss etc....???

Not knowing and never having to do this before I am really lost in my knowledge if this would work?? Don't want to be knee deep into the tour and find that the main backup drives have failed.

Liam Kennedy

PostThu Jul 18, 2013 1:44 am

Hard drives fail = true statement.

The more of them you have... the less overall risk you have (if the show is valuable enough get 2x2GB drives for every show). I'm sure you can do the math on whether the cost is worth it.

Usually hard drives when powered off and treated carefully - should be able to withstand some messing around. They did have to get delivered to you on some delivery truck(s) after all.

I would just place the drives in to well padded cases/bubble wrap.

CameraDude

PostThu Jul 18, 2013 1:55 am

I suppose your right some bumping could be acceptable...I really didnt think of the delivery truck scenario..

I also been told that I might have been figuring my numbers wrong...

at the end of the tour I will have approx 300 hours worth of footage (30 shows x 10 hours of source footage per show)...using an AJA data app...720p prores 422 video...would = 18.9TB needed for storage :o

Thats a big disk array :) hmmm any new thoughts to this new discovery??

Liam Kennedy

PostThu Jul 18, 2013 2:18 am

Not sure what this Disk Array thing is you refer to.

The Hyperdecks record Prores HQ = 220Mb/s

I get a little over 8 hours on 2x512GB SSD's using Prores... so your approx $1250GB per show (10 hours) seems good.

Then 30 shows = 37.5TB - not 18.9TB. Yep. Big Data.

I'm picturing this as being on multiple drives (not a drive array)... just basic external hard drives. Split the risk.

CameraDude

PostThu Jul 18, 2013 2:36 am

ok what i got is this...

10 hours 720p prores HQ =940gb (per show) x 30 shows (300 hours call it) = 28.2TB total needed

was searching for something like this

http://www.amazon.com/LaCie-Thunderbolt ... B00AX9ZAIU

They are all separate drives under one roof if you will...so I think it would be like you are saying...safer and I would have ability to pull them out as they get filled up for safer storage ( I think)

Liam Kennedy

PostThu Jul 18, 2013 2:51 am

Just sayin. I don't get 10 hours on my 2x512gb SSDs as your calculations would imply. But I am sure a few extra drives won't make a big difference anyway

CameraDude

PostThu Jul 18, 2013 2:55 am

Oh sorry for the confusion there...let me back track...

the show is only 2 hours in duration...I have 5 Hyperdeck studio Pros...so the hyperdecks are not exceeding 8 hours they are only capturing 2 hours each...5 decks x 2 hours each = 10 hours :)

Again sorry for the confusion

Liam Kennedy

PostThu Jul 18, 2013 4:11 am

I know. I was not suggesting your shows would be any different than they are. It's a matter of Math.

You say 10 hours = 940GB per show.
I record in the same codec (720p5994 prores) onto my 2 x 512GB drives = 1024GB. My drives capture a little over 8 hours (say 8.5).

If the actual storage required for 10 hours was 940GB (as you calculate) then I should be able to easily get 10 Hours on my 1024GB of space. But I don't.

I'm just trying to help you with the math here - based upon a real-world example.

Brian Hancock

PostThu Jul 18, 2013 4:39 am

just a thought and we have done this before but is there any reason you need to have access to all your footage from say stop one on the tour by the time you get to stop 16 ??

if not then get a few pelecan cases pick and pluck some foam out and mail them back to "home" where they can easily be stored in a larger redundant storage system ...

even if not thats how most of our drives travel is in flight cases as liam says as long as your not spinning up the disk driving down the road you should be fine, yes hdd do fail but treat them nicely and you should be fine.

Allen Freeman

PostFri Jul 19, 2013 7:37 pm

I would probably use a Drobo set for dual disk redundancy. A 5-bay Drobo using 4TB drives gives you about 11 TB of storage when configured for dual disk redundancy. They have models that hold up to 12 drives.

Being paranoid about data, I think I'd be backing them up to LTO-6 tape as well.
~~
Allen Freeman
Penn's Hill Media
www.pennshill.com

CameraDude

PostFri Jul 19, 2013 11:16 pm

Hey PennHill

Thanks, I am looking into this LTO-6 Tape idea. This is not something i know about...might work out for me. Could you maybe give me a scenario as to how I would use it to back and retrieve the footage later after the tour?

How reliable is it (the tape) and what if any possible failure that can occur

Allen Freeman

PostSat Jul 20, 2013 4:06 pm

CameraDude wrote:Hey PennHill

Thanks, I am looking into this LTO-6 Tape idea. This is not something i know about...might work out for me. Could you maybe give me a scenario as to how I would use it to back and retrieve the footage later after the tour?

How reliable is it (the tape) and what if any possible failure that can occur

I use tape to backup and archive the Drobos I edit off of in the office. You need a drive, tapes, an interface to the computer system, and backup software. I use BRU PE from Tolis Group. They also have a hardware/software bundle that is designed specifically for use on the road, though I know very little about it.

LTO tape is quite stable and I believe it is rated for a 35 year shelf life. But like anything else there are failures. I wouldn't trust critical footage to only a single tape. I'd keep both a disk and a tape, or 2 copies of the tape. LTO-6 tape holds 2.5 TB of data per tape.

http://ww2.productionbackup.com/hardwar ... -Solutions
~~
Allen Freeman
Penn's Hill Media
www.pennshill.com

Glenn Sakatch

PostWed Jul 24, 2013 1:57 pm

I was going to suggest LTO. Save some money. Get an LTO 6 machine, but backup to LTO5 tapes. They hold
1.5 tb- probably closer to 1.3-1.4 depending on the software used. In your scenario you should be able to get a show on a tape. LTO 5 tapes are much less expensive than LTO6 right now. LTO 5s are running me about 35 bucks each...LTO6 over a hundred. There is a much more elaborate setup required to run LTO 6, but it is a much more reliable back up system than simply dumping to hard drives. The film industry has been using LTO for years, and many films won't get their insurance up here unless there is a daily LTO backup of the footage.

You are probably looking at a 3000 to 4000 dollar investment to get going with LTO. If this is something you do on a regular basis, it may be worth the investment for future projects. I don't trust hard drives any farther than i can throw them. They have a habit of failing at the most inopportune time.

Return to Live Production