PGM Out without Audio

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Medienlabor

PGM Out without Audio

PostWed Oct 23, 2019 11:28 am

Hi there,

I have a 2M/E Production Studio 4k which I run into a Polycom Real Presence Group 700 videoconference system.

PGM out (HDMI) directly into the Polycom HDMI in.

Everything works fine, I just have the issue that I already have an audio input into the Viceoconference and I'd only use a video signal as an input.

So my question is: Is there a way to NOT send the main audio signal to the PGM Out?

Any help appreciated, thanks in advance!

Xtreemtec

Re: PGM Out without Audio

PostWed Oct 23, 2019 7:04 pm

Only if you send no audio. So put the Master fader in the audio panel down. And you have no audio coming out the HDMI anymore. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

rogersuski

PostWed Oct 23, 2019 9:38 pm

You could interrupt the HDMI path and insert silent audio in place of the program audio. This would allow you to still distro your program with audio to other logical places.

You should be able to go into the Poly and tell it to ignore the audio from the HDMI source.

Medienlabor

PostFri Oct 25, 2019 7:06 am

Hey Xtreemtec,
thanks for your reply, but that would cut off the audio on the AUX-sends as well, wouldn't it?

My intention is (in the best case) just the HDMI-prog out to be silent, I could even live with just the prog-out to be silent with the aux-sends still having audio. But that might be too much to ask :-)
Thanks!

Medienlabor

PostFri Oct 25, 2019 7:09 am

Hey Rogersuski,

thanks for the reply, I'll check the settings within the Polycom, haven't thought of that.

And which device would let me interrupt the HDMI signal and replace the audio? Haven't done that so far.

Best regards!

Toni

Dave Del Vecchio

PostFri Oct 25, 2019 11:57 pm

Unfortunately the ATEM models only support a single audio mix currently which is embedded on the program and AUX outputs. So if you mute the output on the master ATEM audio mix, it would affect all of the outputs.

The Decimator MD-HX will let you remap HDMI audio pairs. Since the ATEM only embeds 2 channels of audio on its outputs, only HDMI channels 1/2 will have any audio on them. So if you fed the ATEM output into the Decimator, and swapped HDMI audio channels 1/2 with 3/4 that would end up giving you silence on HDMI channels 1/2 on the HDMI out of the Decimator.

There are probably some standalone HDMI audio embedders that will let you override the HDMI audio channels by feeding an analog or digital (likely SPDIF) audio source. A lot of these tend to be more consumer oriented devices, but that might be another option to consider (you could set it to embed external audio, but not feed it an audio source).

As Roger mentioned, it would be a little surprising if there weren't some audio input settings on the video conference system that could be used for this. Usually on devices that can take multiple audio input sources (external audio and audio embedded with video), there are some options for setting which audio inputs are active.

Medienlabor

PostMon Oct 28, 2019 5:29 am

Thank you Dave,
that was a ver detailed answer and helped me a lot!
Best regards!
Toni

Return to Live Production