DSC Labs CamAlign charts and SmartScope Duo 4K

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Matt Penn

DSC Labs CamAlign charts and SmartScope Duo 4K

PostSat Nov 09, 2019 5:48 pm

We've got a Black Magic Ursa Mini Pro based multi-cam studio and we're looking to use DSC Labs CamAlign charts for camera alignment and shading. We've got a SmartScope Duo 4K at the shader station but the CamAlign requires vectorscopes to be set to 2x Gain Zoom to align properly. From what I see there is no setting to adjust this in the multi-view setup panel besides 100% or 75% markers for color bars.

The product hasn't been updated in years, but I really really wish I had basic features like:

- Adjustable Gain control for vector scope. Scope is fairly useless without this.
- More markers traditional of a vector scope, such as I/Q, center point (where is center? You can't tell because the scope is black and the center blanking dot Blackmagic talks about being a center guide almost never appears in the signals we drive.
- Colored RGB Parade

I would also like to see 12g scope products soon, because our whole signal path is 12G except for this scope. I've got other tools at my disposal but I'd love to get more value out of the scopes on the 6G model since it is software updatable, and it's missing some very basic tools. Thanks!
Post Production Supervisor / Director / Cinematographer / Editor

Xtreemtec

Re: DSC Labs CamAlign charts and SmartScope Duo 4K

PostMon Nov 11, 2019 1:23 pm

Well the 6G will probably never get an update anymore.

But i wish they would take those features and put it into a 12G version scope. And now with the new 12G Video assists that have a better resolution 7" screen and build in scopes. I hope the 12G version of the SmartScope is not far away.

Not everyone has the budget to buy a Phabrix QX 12G, I'm really thankfull i got the tool.. :)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

jzubac

Re: DSC Labs CamAlign charts and SmartScope Duo 4K

PostSat Nov 23, 2019 5:00 am

I have the same problem, using the Odyssey7Q+ OLED Monitor to fix the problem.

Return to Live Production