HDMI to SDI MicroConverter Jitter Issue

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

sinario

HDMI to SDI MicroConverter Jitter Issue

PostMon Nov 11, 2019 2:41 pm

Hello:

We are experiencing some issues with Microconverter HDMI to SDI regarding Jitter.
Our measurements are not according to the specifications, as can be seen in the photography...
This measurement was done with the next setup:

Phabrix SX generating 100% color bars 720p50 -> 1 metre cable VK6 -> Microconverter SDI to HDMI -> HDMI cable -> Microconverter HDMI to SDI -> 1 metre cable VK6 -> Phabrix SX Jitter Analyzer.

The same setup but with the BlackMagic Miniconverter HDMI to SDI provides good jitter measurements.

Please, somebody can help us?

Thanks and regards.

IMG_20191111_151726445b.jpg
IMG_20191111_151726445b.jpg (293.82 KiB) Viewed 849 times

Xtreemtec

Re: HDMI to SDI MicroConverter Jitter Issue

PostMon Nov 11, 2019 7:58 pm

10Hz that is timing jitter. Are you sure the power supply is clean? Normally this kind of jitter is often produced by a power line that has spikes on it. But this might be hard to measure without opening up the units.

Are you powering them by the original power supplys on USB?

How does the Eye / jitter looks on the SDI output of the first HDMI > SDI?

I might do a reference setup here with a Phabrix QX i have on my desk here. But i have to take some converters with me tomorrow. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

sinario

PostWed Nov 13, 2019 11:27 am

I have thought in power supply, but I have tried other power supply with similar result.

The test in the photography was with the originally supplied power supply. Powering with the USB port from a Toshiba laptop do the same result...

I can't understand you with "How does the Eye / jitter looks on the SDI output of the first HDMI > SDI?". Do you mean the first SDI ->HDMI converter? The SDI signal is the one generated by Phabrix...

I'll wait for your test...

Thank you so much and regards...

Xtreemtec

PostThu Nov 14, 2019 10:25 am

A i mis-read... :roll: I was already thinking how did he generate a HDMI signal.. But maybe the SX is able to put HDMI out.. Don't know that range that good as we needed a UHD version for our work.

Forgot to bring some.. But i will definitely bring them this week and get some test results to compare. :)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Return to Live Production