Request: Blackmagic PTZ Camera

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

fateh.shams

Request: Blackmagic PTZ Camera

PostTue Nov 12, 2019 11:10 pm

As BMD has successfully entered the camera market from cinema cameras to broadcast cameras, I would like that BMD realized complete package of PTZ camera which can be based on currently Micro Studio Camera but with builtin PTZ motors. For big setup BMD could also made own PTZ camera control panel etc.

Yes, there are lot of other PTZ camera manufacturers out there, but either they are not affordable or well compatible with ATEM switcher to control iris or colors.

Do any one else agree?

Royce Hildreth

Re: Request: Blackmagic PTZ Camera

PostWed Nov 13, 2019 6:11 pm

I too would really like to see this. I’ve thought for a year or two that this might be in the works. BMD has lots of the pieces. Some functions in the ATEM Camera Control panel seam to hint that maybe PTZ’s are coming?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Royce Hildreth
Hildreth Media Group, Inc
https://www.hildrethmedia.com
https://www.productionhub.com/profiles/details/33793
ATEM Camera Control: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1SepO8iYiE

Lance Lewis

PostThu Nov 14, 2019 4:18 am

+9000
-Lance Lewis
Champion Video
www.ChampionVideoOnline.com
Neenah, WI

Xtreemtec

PostThu Nov 14, 2019 10:32 am

Totally Agree.. And i even was convinced that they would have been released this year already..
But i guess they will make a 12G 4K model straight away and getting a 4K 60P image sensor that can be cooled enough and to get a lens manufacturer for the Lens front end, And a lot of mechanical engineering which often is much more expensive then a PCB with an FPGA and some software..

But i really would like it, To stand up against Panasonic UE-150 and Sony BRC-X1000 ;)

BlackmagicPTZMockup.jpg
BlackmagicPTZMockup.jpg (32.7 KiB) Viewed 5476 times
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Ed_Mantle

PostThu Nov 21, 2019 10:47 pm

Would definitely get a set if these ever came out.

As I doubt that will be within the next 6 months and I may have a need for some in March, what are the brands I should look at? Never used PTZ before but i have a client interested in them - my understanding is some can be powered/controlled over ethernet - or all can? I guess 1080p is fine. Probably a budget of 1-2K per camera? And then stick them on a c-stand in a each corner? Would probably look to buy in January/Feb so I could get some practice in.

I currently use an ATEM TVS HD and have an ATEM Mini on pre-order but they've basically given greenlight for whatever solution works including getting different hardware if required.

Currently have a UMP G1 and a P4K if there's a way maybe to buy another p4k and fix them to a remote ptz head or something? I've also considered a micro studio/cinema camera but figure they're a bit long in the tooth these days to invest in (though size / remote control does appeal).

Gromit

PostFri Nov 22, 2019 4:43 pm

Count me in too, that would be amazing and probably with a nice price to!

Xtreemtec

PostSat Nov 23, 2019 10:48 am

Take a look at Lumens, Marshall, Sony, Panasonic. They are all good.

Avoid brands like PTZ Optics, ( SDI issues that dont work on Atems ) And they have a lot of OEM versions out there.. So if it looks like a PTZ Optics. Avoid it.!!
Also a lot of chinese brands are using the same chipset that PTZ Optics use. And this is a SDI security chipset instead of SDI Broadcast. Which is much cheaper!! But is not comfort standard SMPTE regulations and so does not work on a lot of SDI gear you have for live video and broadcast. ;)
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Felix Huerlimann

PostSat Nov 23, 2019 11:29 am

What about Datavideo Cameras? Are they usable?
And the Datavideo robotic pan tilt head looks also interesting, but still not deliverable.

Xtreemtec

PostSat Nov 23, 2019 12:47 pm

Datavideo cameras have there own PTZ protocol that does not match to any other format. :( Other cameras are almost all compatible with Sony Visca protocol.

That PTR-10 looked very promising when they showed it at NAB this year.. But when i came up and close at IBC i'm in doubt. The product is Still NOT on the market. :roll: And i heared a suggested price that i was like.. Okee for that price i can buy a proper 3G Sdi PTZ cam. So the only benefit is that i would be able to strap a BMD cam on it and use it as a 4K head. While an ursa + lens would be on the heavy side for this unit. :roll:

So yes BMD please PTZ 12G 4K camera with SDI in control. Compatible with the CCU interface of the Atem.

For Visca PTZ cameras i created a SDI > Visca box that will CCU & PTZ control the cameras from a SDI return video. ;)

Scott Ryan

PostSat Nov 23, 2019 8:31 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:Take a look at Lumens, Marshall, Sony, Panasonic. They are all good.

Avoid brands like PTZ Optics, ( SDI issues that dont work on Atems ) And they have a lot of OEM versions out there.. So if it looks like a PTZ Optics. Avoid it.!!
Also a lot of chinese brands are using the same chipset that PTZ Optics use. And this is a SDI security chipset instead of SDI Broadcast. Which is much cheaper!! But is not comfort standard SMPTE regulations and so does not work on a lot of SDI gear you have for live video and broadcast. ;)

Actually PTZ Optics released new firmware that now adds broadcast frame rates. We use their 20x and 30x SDI models with our ATEMs and they work fine without the need for a Decimator MD-HX like before.

That said, they aren't the highest end robo but they get the job done.

https://help.ptzoptics.com/support/disc ... 3000022969

RichardJolly

PostSun Nov 24, 2019 3:41 pm

The cheap and crude option: BMD Micro Studio Camera on Maxwell-badged Bescor remote pan/tilt head which they have adapted with infra-red remote control

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B ... UTF8&psc=1

which only has a limited range, but can be extended wirelessly with a tiny Lindy infra-red extender, small enough to strap to the side of the remote head

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B ... UTF8&psc=1

Zoom control of power zoom lenses is available via the BMD ATEM software. You can't track a moving person in shot, but it's perfectly adequate for slow reframing.

Before using the infra-red version, I extended the wired remote control with cheap Cat5 which I have had working at up to 90m, or even patched through a big conference hall's network.

There are other wireless hacks for the Bescor head, such as

http://frozentime.se/cam_trig/bescor_remote.html

Roman Pytkin Pekarek

PostSun Nov 24, 2019 4:49 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:Avoid brands like PTZ Optics, ( SDI issues that dont work on Atems ) And they have a lot of OEM versions out there.. So if it looks like a PTZ Optics. Avoid it.!!

I was tested PTZ optics 20x SDI camera , and worked without problems with atem a month ago .. At 1080i50 ..
http://tally.pytkin.sk
http://chucktv.eu
http://www.stonepp.tv
http://www.media-planet.sk

Xtreemtec

PostMon Nov 25, 2019 10:36 am

Scott Ryan wrote:
Xtreemtec wrote:Take a look at Lumens, Marshall, Sony, Panasonic. They are all good.

Actually PTZ Optics released new firmware that now adds broadcast frame rates. We use their 20x and 30x SDI models with our ATEMs and they work fine without the need for a Decimator MD-HX like before.

That said, they aren't the highest end robo but they get the job done.

https://help.ptzoptics.com/support/disc ... 3000022969

Just to note!! A lot of the PTZ optics use a Chipset that is NOT SMPTE compatible and also can NOT generate the correct payload ID that is needed for broadcast.

Might be that they fixed this with the new models. As the chip they used is fully pin compatible with the SMPTE compatible version. Only the security version chip is cheaper to use. ;)

So as said might be that they finally stepped over to the proper serializer output driver. But there are a lot out there that have the incorrect serializer inside. Which can not be fixed with a firmware upgrade. This is a hardware limitation of that chipset.
We developed a lot with these serial and de-serializer chipsets over the past few years. and i have pulled a few PTZ optics cameras open were they used the wrong chipset.

Ed_Mantle

PostMon Dec 02, 2019 6:42 pm

Is it the stupidest idea in the world to mount my pcc4k or a 6k on a Ronin S, then stick the Ronin on a c-stand/tripod and use that as a PTZ camera with a long SDI feeding my ATEM? I'd still use tripod mounted UMP for the main action, but for audience reverses etc i like the idea

Yes is the answer, but am I going to try? Yes. If anyone has seen it done successfully, please share :D

Xtreemtec

PostMon Dec 02, 2019 7:25 pm

Good luck with your lens control ;)

Ed_Mantle

PostMon Dec 02, 2019 7:42 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:Good luck with your lens control ;)

Tilta: hold my beer

Return to Live Production