UpDownCross HD No Output

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Larry_KHCC

UpDownCross HD No Output

PostSun Nov 24, 2019 4:26 am

Hi Everyone, I need some help on this one.

Trying to get Propresenter to show up on my ATEM Television Studio HD. I'm going from an iMac to VGA (800x600) to HDMI (800x600) to the UpDownCross HD. I need the cross to convert from HDMI 800x600 to HDMI 1080p 59.97.

The funny thing is sometimes it works but most of the time no picture is shown on the ATEM. If I remove the input from the UDC and plug it into a monitor everything is displayed properly. If I reconnect the input and plug the Output of the UDC into the monitor the screen stays black (but syncs at 1080p 60hz.

What am I missing? I just can't get this UDC to convert.

Help, Thanks
Larry

P.S. The switch settings are 1458 on and 2367 off.

frlawton

Re: UpDownCross HD No Output

PostTue Nov 26, 2019 5:03 pm

Hi Larry,

I'm fairly sure that the UDC doesn't do VGA as it's analogue. It does definitely support DVI though so if you can get a Mini DVI/MiniDP (depending on how old your iMac is) converter you might get much better results as that will be digital all the way.
Francis Lawton : Group Visual LTD. : www.groupvisual.co.uk

Xtreemtec

PostWed Nov 27, 2019 10:38 am

The problem is your input resolution!!

The UpDownCross does not handle well resolutions that are outside the broadcast resolutions. Because it does scale. But it does not do a lot of pixel pulling and aspect ratio conversions.

I would recommend IF you really need VGA input. To get a VGA to SDI converter with build in scaler.
Roland VC-1 or Datavideo DAC 70 ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

frlawton

PostWed Nov 27, 2019 4:06 pm

It might not be too happy about that resolution but if it says it's supported then it should at least give you something, even if that something isn't amazing.

Larry_KHCC

PostFri Nov 29, 2019 7:17 pm

frlawton wrote:It might not be too happy about that resolution but if it says it's supported then it should at least give you something, even if that something isn't amazing.

That's what I'm thinking. No distinctions are made for analogue vs digital in the manual. And it has worked sometimes and not others.

I will, however, look at how best to add another converter scaler or upgrade our projector res to 1080p (if possible).

Thanks for the input fellas.

P.S. I did really think that the UDC/HD would do the trick. Is there any input available from BMD support folks on this forum?

frlawton

PostTue Dec 03, 2019 9:36 am

No distinctions are made for analogue vs digital in the manual.

It does specifically state 'DVI' on the spec sheet for the resolution you want to use and the only other inputs are HDMI and SDI, all of which are digital formats.

I will reiterate though that if you can get a digital signal out of the iMac then that would solve your problems quite cheaply.

Return to Live Production